British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

engraved coins

I'm not usually a big fan of cut out coins, but this one is well designed and executed.

I managed to get all the white "crud" off with a cocktail stick!

:)

I've always admired the cut-outs for their technical merit, I think this one's superb! They must sit very nicely amongst the inscribed vagabonds, sorry, variants! Another great dimension! :)

Haven’t bought an engraved coin for a while…....well for months at least. :D

Here’s one which Mongo tipped me off on (what has happened to him?)

post-7102-083762100 1351874751_thumb.jpg

post-7102-079070200 1351874783_thumb.jpg

That's a very impressive work, it's quite amazing! I'm not sure whether it's your photography lighting, or great skill on the part of the engraver, but that looks like some great moonlight!

Yes, I was thinking of Mongo only the other day! And still no news on Gollum?

That's a very impressive work, it's quite amazing! I'm not sure whether it's your photography lighting, or great skill on the part of the engraver, but that looks like some great moonlight!

Yes, I was thinking of Mongo only the other day! And still no news on Gollum?

And by the looks of the reverse that HC hadn't been in circulation for very long

Superb, a really professional job. Well worth bidding on.

To me that engraving looks like the dreadnought the King George V, which is fitting given the coin and which side the engraving was done on.

Thanks for your nice comments chaps. Peck I didn’t bid as I bought this one from a dealer Charles Snowden. :)

It actually came in a broach but is easily removed. Stuart, it’s not my clever photography as the photos are theirs and I can’t really detect that “blueness†on the actual coin in hand. Dave I’m off now to Google dreadnought – thanks!

Stunner Debbie! hope it was as nice in hand as you expected.

I have had so much going on lately, change of job, some family bereavements, that my coin collecting has been put on hold. I do of course still enjoy them, I hope to add to my collection again soon.

So glad you got this coin in the end, as I know how much you liked it! :)

And hi to everyone else! I missed you :P Hope your all doing well, I will catch up with you and your collecting adventures soon.

Edited by Mongo

Welcome back Mongo.

:)

Peeps come and go.

Mongo I've PMed you.

Ski thanks for that - nice lettering - I've seen mother, father, sweetheart,auntie, son, daughter, grandmother - I've even found a ? and a ! :D

Mongo I've PMed you.

Ski thanks for that - nice lettering - I've seen mother, father, sweetheart,auntie, son, daughter, grandmother - I've even found a ? and a ! :D

It's the old tie on the Dobbin that wins me over! You could write a novel holding that in your hand, it looks so completely steeped in history!

Here's a curiosity! An Oxford half Pound, engraved with the execution of Charles (top) and Roundhead cavalry (bottom)!

611320l.jpg

Oh, and for any of the farthing/penny boys, I think there are some interesting pieces in the same sale: Stacks Jan 13. http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=599&page=4

Here's a curiosity! An Oxford half Pound, engraved with the execution of Charles (top) and Roundhead cavalry (bottom)!

611320l.jpg

Oh, and for any of the farthing/penny boys, I think there are some interesting pieces in the same sale: Stacks Jan 13. http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=599&page=4

That's fascinating - would you say it's from a genuine original? (The obverse looks a bit suspect, but the illustration I'm comparing it with, is Spink 2937, which is the Pound). The engraving is a real historical drama done on what is a pretty boring underlying motif of fleur de lys and a date. I should think - scarce and valuable though the original is - that particular engraved example could well outshine the normal price.

That's fascinating - would you say it's from a genuine original? (The obverse looks a bit suspect, but the illustration I'm comparing it with, is Spink 2937, which is the Pound). The engraving is a real historical drama done on what is a pretty boring underlying motif of fleur de lys and a date. I should think - scarce and valuable though the original is - that particular engraved example could well outshine the normal price.

I can't see anything that suggests the coin isn't genuine. As for the engraving, that too looks contemporary. I suspect after the restoration of the monarchy there was little appetite for such pieces until perhaps the Victorian era, so the liklihood of it being done very much after the death of Charles I seems low to me. Of course, I'm not an expert on such thingss. Though if I had the funds I'd love to collect a few curiosities such as this!

Edited by TomGoodheart

I can't see anything that suggests the coin isn't genuine. As for the engraving, that too looks contemporary. I suspect after the restoration of the monarchy there was little appetite for such pieces until perhaps the Victorian era, so the liklihood of it being done very much after the death of Charles I seems low to me. Of course, I'm not an expert on such thingss. Though if I had the funds I'd love to collect a few curiosities such as this!

I had my eyes on this one

Ooh! Good luck if you go for it! There are some very nice pieces there to my eyes. The 1723 shilling is a stunner ... good thing I only collect Charles I!

Ooh! Good luck if you go for it! There are some very nice pieces there to my eyes. The 1723 shilling is a stunner ... good thing I only collect Charles I!

Its sitting at $900 just now, so probably beyond me now, Halfpound_zpse715d245.jpg

Edited by azda