British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

engraved coins

No, is trick coin.

debbie1.jpg

The engraved side translates to summat .like: " Decree No 1817 of the 3rd September 1870" which was when the enabling legislation for the new currency was passed.

Nickel, 27 mm.

I've lost count of the times that that one has been re-listed. I'm sure it's been on Ebay even before I became interested in engraved coins! :lol:

BTW Stuart I would get your engraving kit out, looks like someone is prepared to pay the £300 for that other coin! :blink:

I've lost count of the times that that one has been re-listed. I'm sure it's been on Ebay even before I became interested in engraved coins! :lol:

BTW Stuart I would get your engraving kit out, looks like someone is prepared to pay the £300 for that other coin! :blink:

No way! That's got to be a hoax; funny business, as my old nan used to call it! That cannot surely be a legit sale?

Let's give it a go! Azda, you free? I need a model!

You'd need something bigger to engrave on coinery, do you have a baseball bat handy? ;)

Sorry Debbie, i had to lol

I've maybe seen that before, but :lol: what a gem! Is that yours Derek?

No, it was sold on e-bay a few years back, I did bid for it but unsurprisingly it went out of reach. Another one which got away was a 1940 penny re-cut with a swastika instead of the union jack.

Someone with a time viewer that could look 70 years ahead. :D

I believe the swastika was a good luck symbol before it was adopted by the Nazis.

I seem to remember it being used by the National Savings Bank pre war.

I have a worcester salt token with a swastika for good luck

post-5660-014493900 1328914413_thumb.jpg

Its not actually a Swastika, the leg of the Swastika points at the 180 degree, this has the flat at 180 degree. This is the swastika, or Hakenkreuz as it's called in German, distinctly different in use.

They are all swastikas . Swastikas can be left or right facing legs depending on their history and origin of use whether it be in Hinduism, catholicism, Airforce badges of Finland etc etc right back to pre christ times. The difference with the Nazi usage of the swastika is that they turned it on a 45 degree diagonal.

I understood the Name swastika to be associated with the nazis, i'm sure the symbol was'nt always known as swastika?

I understood the Name swastika to be associated with the nazis, i'm sure the symbol was'nt always known as swastika?

The word swastika is an ancient Sanskrit word (svastikah) which roughly transltes to good luck or well being.

Since its use by the Nazi party, its original meaning has pretty much faded into the distance and more often than not it is looked at as being a racist symbol, quite the opposite of its original meaning pre 1930's.

Some take the shape as being 4x letter L's. Love, Luck, Life and Light.

The word swastika is an ancient Sanskrit word (svastikah) which roughly transltes to good luck or well being.

Since its use by the Nazi party, its original meaning has pretty much faded into the distance and more often than not it is looked at as being a racist symbol, quite the opposite of its original meaning pre 1930's.

Good info just.me, thanks. You learn something everyday here :)

Triskele and Swastika on a Danish coin from the time of Erik Menved (1286-1319)

post-6657-053858200 1337599611_thumb.jpg

You'd need something bigger to engrave on coinery, do you have a baseball bat handy? ;)

Sorry Debbie, i had to lol

One of those big stones Debbie gave the link for? I've ordered one! ;)

Wasn't the swastika of peace the other way round though? I'm sure I remember hearing that somewhere before?

Wasn't the swastika of peace the other way round though? I'm sure I remember hearing that somewhere before?

They can be clockwise (read with the top left quadrant reading as L ) or anti-clockwise, again depending on the origins of use. Hindu uses the clockwise Swastika and the Japanese use anti-clockwise Swastikas as a symbol on maps to denote a buddhist temple like we use a cucifix symbol on our maps to show a church.

Here's some of those engraved coins I got from the coin fair yesterday. The phots aren't brilliant but you get the gist!

I won't post the obverses as they are all about fine (and not particuarly exciting)

The first has been gold plated at one time but has worn off, I think it may have been a pin at some point.

The second is really interesting (to me) as what I thought was a random design, with a little reseach has proven to be the logo and moto of the South African 24th Squadron here

The final one is that Lizzie love token - very worn and I hope at sometime cherished! :)

post-7102-025966000 1339432942_thumb.jpg

post-7102-042495200 1339432970_thumb.jpg

post-7102-095086500 1339432992_thumb.jpg

Here's some of those engraved coins I got from the coin fair yesterday. The phots aren't brilliant but you get the gist!

I won't post the obverses as they are all about fine (and not particuarly exciting)

The first has been gold plated at one time but has worn off, I think it may have been a pin at some point.

The second is really interesting (to me) as what I thought was a random design, with a little reseach has proven to be the logo and moto of the South African 24th Squadron here

The final one is that Lizzie love token - very worn and I hope at sometime cherished! :)

Very interesting pieces. I really like those first two. You should write the definitive reference work on engraved coins, Debbie! (Assuming there isn't one already).

Made my day AND made me smile, Debbie! You know my love of Elizabeth...my wife's name is Mandy, aaaaahh! :D

one for Debbie

fake.jpg

someone has decided to "improve" the detail lost on the left hand coin, direction of the ribbon was what intrigued me on a poor ebay image

And may I say looks better for it! :)

Stuart always happy to hear I've made someone smile.

Peck if only there were enough hours in the day, its bad enough trying to limit time on here as it is when I should be working and making more money to spend on coins :lol: .... Actually I do believe there is a book, the last time I looked it was on Amazon for about £300.

Peck if only there were enough hours in the day, its bad enough trying to limit time on here as it is when I should be working and making more money to spend on coins :lol: .... Actually I do believe there is a book, the last time I looked it was on Amazon for about £300.

Wow. All you need is some newer research, knock the book out for £100, and there's your fortune!

If it's the one I think, you can get it for around £130, but you could still get an awful lot of engraved coins for that!

Only £130! Is it this one? here :o

Only £130! Is it this one? here :o

Yes. You'd need to get it sent from the US. http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=59eSXE3XptFwzQGFRpOfDw4JaeU_6334251819_1:797:1758&bq=author%3Dlloyd%2520l%2520entenmann%26title%3Dlove%2520tokens%2520as%2520engraved%2520coins

Though it'd be a used copy with some signs of wear if I'm reading it correctly.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Thank you Richard, I've just emailed the link over to my hubby as its our anniversary coming up next month! :D

Thank you Richard, I've just emailed the link over to my hubby as its our anniversary coming up next month! :D

He's got himself a bargain at £130! How easy an anniversary solution is that? C'mon, Mr Debbie, it's cheaper than flowers and taking her to the pub!

An' she'll love ya for it! ;)