British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

engraved coins

Interesting intepretation here. Is that intended for Mary Russell, or is it a token for 'Mary' and 'Russell'? <_<

I'm going with "Mary Russell" - I'm not sure Russell was a first name back then? It just doesn't sound right for the era.

Posted it before, but this is my favourite;

OK let's try again.

Edited by Red Riley

post-798-002669600 1326451630_thumb.jpg

I'm going with "Mary Russell" - I'm not sure Russell was a first name back then? It just doesn't sound right for the era.

No you're right, Russell as a Christian name would have been virtually unheard of in those days. It is incidentally the family name of the Duke of Bedford.

I've maybe seen that before, but :lol: what a gem! Is that yours Derek?

No, it was sold on e-bay a few years back, I did bid for it but unsurprisingly it went out of reach. Another one which got away was a 1940 penny re-cut with a swastika instead of the union jack.

No, it was sold on e-bay a few years back, I did bid for it but unsurprisingly it went out of reach. Another one which got away was a 1940 penny re-cut with a swastika instead of the union jack.

Someone with a time viewer that could look 70 years ahead. :D

Someone with a time viewer that could look 70 years ahead. :D

I believe the swastika was a good luck symbol before it was adopted by the Nazis.

I seem to remember it being used by the National Savings Bank pre war.

I believe the swastika was a good luck symbol before it was adopted by the Nazis.

Yes but weren't the arms facing the other way.

Edited by Gollum

Yes but weren't the arms facing the other way.

I think it's an ancient Buddhist symbol? And yes, the Nazis flipped it horizontally.

Wasn’t sure where to post this, under foreign coins, engraved coins or my last topic of can anybody help…anyway I wanted to share this little gem and again I have no idea what it is – but its very lovely. Only 15mm in diameter, the engraving is tiny. Anybody have any idea what it might be or aprox year?

post-7102-071209800 1327056559_thumb.jpg

And the obverse

post-7102-056898900 1327056684_thumb.jpg

Debbie,

I have seen a few with the Lord's Prayer on. Fantastic to think of the writing size, the coin is from British India, and is probably a quarter rupee at that size.

I think some of the British India coins had some stunning designs, and can be picked up relatively cheaply. Very nice ;)

Edited by Colin G.

Wasn’t sure where to post this, under foreign coins, engraved coins or my last topic of can anybody help…anyway I wanted to share this little gem and again I have no idea what it is – but its very lovely. Only 15mm in diameter, the engraving is tiny. Anybody have any idea what it might be or aprox year?

It looks as though the coin was sliced into two, so that wonderful engraving on the backside of the obverse could be done.

I have discovered that that half ruppee is in fact a two Annas.Its slightly smaller than a 3D.

Its made me wonder what the smallest coin to ever have been produced was?

I have discovered that that half ruppee is in fact a two Annas.Its slightly smaller than a 3D.

Good question Debbie, i'll throw my hat in the ring with a Maundy 1d off the top of my head. Anyone else? British only though

Good question Debbie, i'll throw my hat in the ring with a Maundy 1d off the top of my head. Anyone else? British only though

Hammered farthing is pretty small.

Hammered farthing is pretty small.

There are some tiny Roman bronzes, end of Empire stuff. Can't remember exactly what they're called but the prefix "minim-" comes to mind.

What sort of diameters are we looking at for these coins guys? :huh:

What sort of diameters are we looking at for these coins guys? :huh:

I THINK (don't make me swear on it) I've seen those tiny Roman bronzes around 5mm, or thereabouts?

Wow! I found this, looks like it might be an Indian coin at 4mm - can you imagine the detail on that!

smallest coin :huh:

Wow! I found this, looks like it might be an Indian coin at 4mm - can you imagine the detail on that!

smallest coin :huh:

I wish there had been pictures on that page!

The 1 rupee is a very nice coin.

Similar in size to the florin and silver.

I have picked up a few of these for "£'s" :)

Spotted one for you Debbie, its from a dealer, so not cheap in my opinion

post-5057-009103500 1328003410_thumb.jpg

Thanks azda, looks interesting, epecially as it had a D in the centre - pity that's not my birthday though! email the details and I'll have a butchers :)