British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

engraved coins

Following on from Tom’s post about lucky tokens in coin acquisition of the week

(sorry been off the forum for a while with work deadlines so just catching up!) I find myself quite taken with coins which have been stamped or engraved with initials (love tokens I presume?) How would this affect the grade and the price of a coin in general and where would you suggest I might find some nice examples of these? :huh:

There are several different types of these Debbie. Trench art coins (from the Great war) are especially nice coins, but as you say, some are Love tokens, others are for births of children.

Where to get them, well you just have to trawl eBay really, or if anyone spots 1, they might be kind enough to Tell you

Following on from Tom’s post about lucky tokens in coin acquisition of the week

(sorry been off the forum for a while with work deadlines so just catching up!) I find myself quite taken with coins which have been stamped or engraved with initials (love tokens I presume?) How would this affect the grade and the price of a coin in general and where would you suggest I might find some nice examples of these? :huh:

Pot luck. They can appear anywhere. Unless of historical interest with named affinities to someone important they will be cheaper than an unengraved coin, so obviously, if a coin had a dedication say e.g from Lord Nelson to Lady Hamilton then clearly it would become very desirable given their place in English history. Joe Smith to Jane Smith would not be important and given the intimacy of love tokens are often seen with first names only which makes attribution problematic to say the least. They can be quite ornate, but are usually found on bigger flans than shillings. Early milled crowns are a favourite, though halfcrowns are also big enough to fit on a decent amount of detail.

I tend to grab them when I see them on farthings, which is quite unusual, as Rob says it was definitely more popular on larger denominations. The more ornate the design the more collectable they tend to be. I don'tt think I have ever paid more than £10 for one, and the Victorian examples I can usually get for a few pounds.

Thanks for your replies guys. I think it’s the fact that it is very random that appeals. It could be a way of escaping (or supplementing) the single denomination date run scenario for me. They are obviously going to be unique coins, with potential too create a unique collection and within my price range especially if I only acquire one or two a year and since there isn’t an abundance of examples out there, there is less chance of being seduced into buying for the sake of it…..I must however only choose ones I really like!!!

Does anyone know of any literature available on this subject?

Oh and yes please if anyone happens across anything that might be of interest please do let me know! Ever grateful :)

Thanks for your replies guys. I think it’s the fact that it is very random that appeals. It could be a way of escaping (or supplementing) the single denomination date run scenario for me. They are obviously going to be unique coins, with potential too create a unique collection and within my price range especially if I only acquire one or two a year and since there isn’t an abundance of examples out there, there is less chance of being seduced into buying for the sake of it…..I must however only choose ones I really like!!!

Oh and yes please if anyone happens across anything that might be of interest please do let me know! Ever grateful :)

Not aware of any, and it is unlikely to exist because each piece is individual, special only to the parties concerned. On the plus side, you might find that the engraving has been done on a really rare coin. I've seen a couple of R6 coins so engraved, which might give a decent financial gain when you decide to sell.

Not aware of any, and it is unlikely to exist because each piece is individual, special only to the parties concerned. On the plus side, you might find that the engraving has been done on a really rare coin. I've seen a couple of R6 coins so engraved, which might give a decent financial gain when you decide to sell.

Debbie, go here

http://www.searchdome.com/ebay/ebay/runNewSearch

type in love token and hit run, theres a few about.

Thanks Garry, will have a browse.

I did a bit of searching myself and came up with this

love token soc

I've seen a couple of R6 coins so engraved
I'm sorry for being so ignorant Rob, but what's a R6 again? :ph34r:

I've seen a couple of R6 coins so engraved
I'm sorry for being so ignorant Rob, but what's a R6 again? :ph34r:

Rayner's rarity rating (ESC). R6 = 3 or 4 known, but take the rarities quoted with a pinch of salt.

You have to admit there are some pretty impressive engraved coins for sale out there!

peice of history

yea, that Suffragette one will sell.

i have one that looks like trench art. obverse is worn down a lot, but reverse is a hand carved house. :D

I've got a few love tokens myself, my favorite has to be on a Seated Liberty Quarter (I think it is 1853) which is fairly ornate. I've got a few more that are on half-dimes (paid a quarter for one and I think $10 for the other). I've always wanted to get some on British coins but don't have any in my collection yet.

I view them more or less as interesting curiosities (and chunks of silver) rather than serious numismatic coins. I'd rather have a well engraved common date coin than a rarer date that with mediocre engraving. Over here you usually find them engraved on small denomination silver, I don't think I've seen any on any coin bigger than a quarter, the dime and half-dime seem to be the most popular based on the numbers I've seen at coin shops.

And another :huh:

I'm sure that one sold on ebay sometime last year, or it was one very similar, the price has jumped considerably though, at least 200 quid if it's the same one

And another :huh:

I'm sure that one sold on ebay sometime last year, or it was one very similar, the price has jumped considerably though, at least 200 quid if it's the same one

What I've seen a couple of times and would like to get hold of a one is the Lords Prayer engraved on a silver 3d. There have been a couple go through ebay but I missed them. i think the last one went for over £30, just a bit too much for a curiosity.

Andy Howitt seems to keep a few of these, so might be worth looking at his site every now and then. He has an ebay shop too.

Andy Howitt seems to keep a few of these, so might be worth looking at his site every now and then. He has an ebay shop too.

This is my nicest one the workmanship is amazing!

post-4770-057210200 1325970355_thumb.jpg

Here's something Debbie, in the EdVII section on eBay...110801666410

Have a look see!

Yes I am watching that one already, but thanks for pointing it out Conery! :)

Thank you Paulus :) Didn't people have such beautiful writing back then - its a shame there is not a date inscribed.I wonder if at the time the engraver thought that coin to be of a great age then?

This is my nicest one the workmanship is amazing!

That is a beauty si666, even i'd be interested in that, the workmanship in that is amazing. Wonder how Victoria would have taken to having a beard engraved on her portrait though. If found, i'm sure the engraver would have been hung lol

I have to admit, I like some of them, my only proble with them is that whilst I could prove the coin itself is genuine, i could not prove the same of the engraving and its origins, many could be a modern fake on original coin, I can only imagine how much more a bad coin would sell for if it had say a message from nelson to lady Hamilton on it. I am not knocking anyones dream or desires, I am just pessimistic about them.