British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Finally - got meself a dollar type

At long last obtained a half-decent (imho) mad George dollar at a half-decent (imho) price ... does anyone else on here like/collect these unique emergency issues? They appeal to me primarily for the history they tell ...

1804_Dollar_rev1.png

At long last obtained a half-decent (imho) mad George dollar at a half-decent (imho) price ... does anyone else on here like/collect these unique emergency issues? They appeal to me primarily for the history they tell ...

1804_Dollar_rev1.png

Sure. I much prefer them to the countermarked pieces of 8.

post-4737-057493800 1325718146_thumb.jpg

(By the way, George III had porphyria, he wasn't really mad.)

1804_Dollar_rev1.png

1804_Dollar_rev1.png

Thanks, I didn't know that ... as a kind of coincidence, I have just started watching the film 'The Madness of King George' half an hour ago, I wonder if they will put the record straight?

Thanks, I didn't know that ... as a kind of coincidence, I have just started watching the film 'The Madness of King George' half an hour ago, I wonder if they will put the record straight?

I hear it's rampant in the royal family still, they reckon Vikki had it too or such. Too much inbreeding with continental relatives and all that ya know. Bit like having our own UK rednecks. :lol:

Edited by Gollum

I had a very nice one of those about 15 months ago with the overstrike quite visible on it. Fairly difficult coins to sell and dealers over here seem to think they're worth a fortune (which they are not)

I don't know what you paid for it, but i hope it was'nt over 3 figures.

I had a very nice one of those about 15 months ago with the overstrike quite visible on it. Fairly difficult coins to sell and dealers over here seem to think they're worth a fortune (which they are not)

You'd be very lucky to get it for less than £100.

Its one of those hyped coins Derek, like the 1979 Twopence where Spink has vastly over rated it.

Its one of those hyped coins Derek, like the 1979 Twopence where Spink has vastly over rated it.

Only in Fine and VF. It is a genuinely scarce - even rare - coin in true EF or better.

Only in Fine and VF. It is a genuinely scarce - even rare - coin in true EF or better.

Well here's the obverse:

1804_Dollar_obv1.png

Paid £166, I am pleased as I was prepared to go a little higher, although that is a lot for me and I am a little less delighted after some of the replies!

Actually the most annoying thing is that it is just a tad too small for my biggest L***th***e 2x2 coin holder (39.5 mm), does anyone know if anywhere sells them slightly bigger?

Well here's the obverse:

1804_Dollar_obv1.png

Paid £166, I am pleased as I was prepared to go a little higher, although that is a lot for me and I am a little less delighted after some of the replies!

Actually the most annoying thing is that it is just a tad too small for my biggest L***th***e 2x2 coin holder (39.5 mm), does anyone know if anywhere sells them slightly bigger?

Nice example - EF I'd say. Good price too. My comments above were in reply to Dave's remarks about the 1797 twopence. The 1804 dollar is a lot scarcer.

By the way, did you know your thread appears on the main page abbreviated to "Finally got meself a doll" ??? :lol:

Well here's the obverse:

1804_Dollar_obv1.png

Nice example - EF I'd say. Good price too. My comments above were in reply to Dave's remarks about the 1797 twopence. The 1804 dollar is a lot scarcer.

By the way, did you know your thread appears on the main page abbreviated to "Finally got meself a doll" ??? :lol:

So I see! I have one of those too, a very choice piece except it has unfortunately been holed ...

Well here's the obverse:

1804_Dollar_obv1.png

So I see! I have one of those too, a very choice piece except it has unfortunately been holed ...

In at least 3 places? :D

Well here's the obverse:

1804_Dollar_obv1.png

I'd go with NEF/GVF but would need to see in hand first. In any event £166 is a reasonable price to pay, speaking personally I've never found them that hard to sell and have never sold one for less than or anything like £100.