British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Danz

Withdrawn 2011 Aquatics 50p

Go on - you know you're dying to enlighten us! :P

Don't know of one, that's why I'm asking.

In that case, forgive me! I thought you had one up your sleeve that you could dazzle us with!

It does seem strange that a design that they had apparently consigned to the recycling bin appeared on the final item...

One thing that has just occurred to me, has anyone seen/got a not-so-wavey one in a pres-pack? Possibly they saw the design on these and decided to do a quick redesign for the circulation issue? Though its a lot of effort for only a million pieces...

Also, why is the cycling one only got an issue of less than half that of the rest?! (see here)

It could be a case similar to the set of progressive stages of 1818 crown by Pistrucci (cf. Lingford lots 473-495). The only thing is though that most of these were struck in lead using an unhardened die until the design was complete. It looks as if the swimmer's head on the line-free coin is in slightly higher relief, which would make sense if the model was cut deeper to remove the lines. It obviously would not have been done on the die today, rather on the large cast, though why they then went on to produce a working die from this stage is beyond me unless they made trials for the various stages as outlined above.

Having read an article in coin mag about the precision of striking these days, you dont think RM are deliberately making errors to keep collectors happy do you ?

Edited by Gollum

Having read an article in coin mag about the precision of striking these days, you dont think RM are deliberately making errors to keep collectors happy do you ?

Not when they can already make a fortune from tourists, souvenir hunters, parents, the kind of people who used to buy limited edition plates to hang on their walls, and the poor saps who fondly imagine that annual proof sets are actually worth what they are listed at in Spink.

Not when they can already make a fortune from tourists, souvenir hunters, parents, the kind of people who used to buy limited edition plates to hang on their walls, and the poor saps who fondly imagine that annual proof sets are actually worth what they are listed at in Spink.

I suppose so but keeping the plate hangers etc happy is one thing, another when it could affect a whole hobby and industry here with no errors forthcoming. Kind of like throwing the dog a bone every now and again. Would you think ?.

I suppose so but keeping the plate hangers etc happy is one thing, another when it could affect a whole hobby and industry here with no errors forthcoming. Kind of like throwing the dog a bone every now and again. Would you think ?.

You could be right - this forum disproves my long-held theory that no coin collector gives 2p about the decimal coins in their change...

You could be right - this forum disproves my long-held theory that no coin collector gives 2p about the decimal coins in their change...

Tut tut Peck, as a businessman you should know better when every clown on Ebay wants to buy your undated 20p etc etc for over £50. Of course they matter.

yea some scarce 2p's as well ;)

we care, but we dont care for all the 2000000 designs of 50ps a year. especially when they never seem to appear in change. well they do.. for about a month. then dissapear.

we care, but we dont care for all the 2000000 designs of 50ps a year. especially when they never seem to appear in change. well they do.. for about a month. then dissapear.

You won't find them in your change cause they're Rare WOW. All still readily available on ebay though.

Rather apt, Yesterday I was looking at the auctions of rare girl guides ones, then the wife came home with a unc one, suddenly I got given another in change by the bus driver, then another from Tesco metro in town, so I now have 3 rare ones, how rare, only 50,0000 or 70,000 struck according to whichever page of the RM site I look at. I also got a number of other designs from the bank without auction fees or postage of course :lol:

Rather apt, Yesterday I was looking at the auctions of rare girl guides ones, then the wife came home with a unc one, suddenly I got given another in change by the bus driver, then another from Tesco metro in town, so I now have 3 rare ones, how rare, only 50,0000 or 70,000 struck according to whichever page of the RM site I look at. I also got a number of other designs from the bank without auction fees or postage of course :lol:

Garry, I am interested as I was thinking doing this myself - did you say that you had gone to the bank and exchanged some cash for some bags of 50p's? If so, what proportion of them were commemorative roughly?

Garry, I am interested as I was thinking doing this myself - did you say that you had gone to the bank and exchanged some cash for some bags of 50p's? If so, what proportion of them were commemorative roughly?

I couldn't say as a percentage, about erm 30% if my terrible math is right, out of the £100 worth, we got about 60 of the darn things, however there were a lot and I mean a lot of duplicate ones, more so of the shooting, swimming, wheelchair ones, I also got a number of those older dictionary ones, we sat at their table for a long while going through them before having the cheek to then give them back asking for it to be put into my account which elicited a tather strange look :lol: .

I intend to hit RBS and Lloyds next time. Looks like coin rolling as in the USA is going to be worthwhile here.

I couldn't say as a percentage, about erm 30% if my terrible math is right, out of the £100 worth, we got about 60 of the darn things, however there were a lot and I mean a lot of duplicate ones, more so of the shooting, swimming, wheelchair ones, I also got a number of those older dictionary ones, we sat at their table for a long while going through them before having the cheek to then give them back asking for it to be put into my account which elicited a tather strange look :lol: .

I intend to hit RBS and Lloyds next time. Looks like coin rolling as in the USA is going to be worthwhile here.

Maybe it was the rare girl guides (don't go there!) which elicited that 'look'?

i had a reply to this, ive just removed it though, my bad sense of humour is going to get me into trouble. :D

i had a reply to this, ive just removed it though, my bad sense of humour is going to get me into trouble. :D

:D I'm sure we were on the same wavelength :D

ski, on 07 January 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

i had a reply to this, ive just removed it though, my bad sense of humour is going to get me into trouble.

I'm sure we were on the same wavelength

:D im sure we were to :D

If any one knows more about this coin or has one it would be great to know about. I Know of 7.

Hi all. So after 2 months or so we know no more about this withdrawn design.

If any one knows more about this coin or has one it would be great to know about. I Know of 7.

Hi all. So after 2 months or so we know no more about this withdrawn design.

That includes my one?

I wonder if it were on the news or had anything near the exposure that the dateless 20p had, if another few hundred would turn up overnight (most of which would probably be people nicking photos or selling the normal one with misleading wording).

That includes my one?

Hi. Yes that includes your one. So at the moment it makes it as rare as the 1933 PENNY. :lol:

I believe that a dealer friend of mine has at least half a dozen... he was on of the first to buy the full sets from the mint, so 'got lucky'...

I believe that a dealer friend of mine has at least half a dozen... he was on of the first to buy the full sets from the mint, so 'got lucky'...

Is it our friend with the shop in West London? I got a full set of them from him in order to do pictures for Check Your Change, before the error was known about.

Hi. Now thats the kind of info we need. 13 now. i know that more will turn up but it would be nice if the RM could just say XXXX amount got out not "just a few" Cheers Dan

Is it our friend with the shop in West London? I got a full set of them from him in order to do pictures for Check Your Change, before the error was known about.

Maybe ;)

They still dont appear on his website, so must still be waiting for others to appear before pricing up! Will check on Monday when I see him!

some of the very rare wow wow 50p's ive had this week in my change.

3 x girl guides ( 1 is superb )

1 x suffragette

2 x wwf

1 x vc

and another 9 olympics, 8 different sports..2 x handball.

all extremely rare :D

1 x suffragette

2 x wwf

1 x vc

You must get a whole lot of change! I've had one 50p in my wallet all week...! Still, it is a 'Uber-ultra-mega rear queen with a nekless' type so I best hang on to it!

1 x suffragette

2 x wwf

1 x vc

You must get a whole lot of change! I've had one 50p in my wallet all week...! Still, it is a 'Uber-ultra-mega rear queen with a nekless' type so I best hang on to it!

Rear queen variety? Ooooeer missus! :D