British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Danz

Withdrawn 2011 Aquatics 50p

Hi all i'm new here. I would like to know more about the 2011 aquatics 50p that the royal mint withdrew. It has lines across the face but the issued has no lines across the face and less lines across the body. I have spoken to the royal mint about this and they said "a few got out" the rest have now been so say reminted or destroyed. If any one knows more about this coin or has one it would be great to know about. I Know of 7. The most i have seen one sell for is £196.Hope i get a good response. Dan

post-7160-082236900 1325605229_thumb.jpg

post-7160-018484300 1325605263_thumb.jpg

Hi all i'm new here. I would like to know more about the 2011 aquatics 50p that the royal mint withdrew. It has lines across the face but the issued has no lines across the face and less lines across the body. I have spoken to the royal mint about this and they said "a few got out" the rest have now been so say reminted or destroyed. If any one knows more about this coin or has one it would be great to know about. I Know of 7. The most i have seen one sell for is £196.Hope i get a good response. Dan

It appears I've got one of them too. I have to confess being underwhelmed with the series and hadn't even bothered looking.

A question to be asked is when was the last incorrectly rendered design issued by the RM? Spelling mistakes in the legend are common enough, but to actually release the wrong design into circulation may be a first. The withdrawn 1887 sixpences were due to confusion with half sovereigns. The 2008 20p and the 1983 2 NEW PENCE pieces were mules with an obsolete design and so don't count. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head. Clearly they had to reduce the lined design down to the correct size, so you would have thought someone would have noticed unless there were 2 prospective designs, only one of which was adopted. I think there may be more to this than meets the eye.

didn't even realise there was such a thing.

mine is the normal type sadly :(

Go on then, point it out to me, I can't see the difference.

Sorry to be the first to say that!

the wave lines go across the face and obscure it, in the non recalled one they do not.

the wave lines go across the face and obscure it, in the non recalled one they do not.

I dont have a pic, but im sure you will se it with this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-olympic-50p-coin-AQUATICS-/260924963936?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item3cc056fc60

didn't even realise there was such a thing.

mine is the normal type sadly :(

You and me both. I wrote up the coin reference file using the description of a submerged swimmer as seen in the hand without looking at any other images. I just assumed the crappy design clarity was considered contemporary excellence. :unsure: That's a sad reflection of perceived quality when you expect a design to be abstract and only vaguely representative of the subject matter.

Still no takers on the last time an unadopted design was inadvertently adopted?

Edited by Rob

The one on the left is the withdrawn one, the other you can find in your wallet. ;) Now you can spot the difference.

post-7160-034634100 1325634362_thumb.jpg

post-7160-033638000 1325634433_thumb.jpg

The one on the left is the withdrawn one, the other you can find in your wallet. ;) Now you can spot the difference.

They definitely adopted the right one.

Danz, I hate to tell you this, but the one you say theywithdrew, erm it looks like plastic and even looks like it has the sprew from the mould on it from trimming... No wonder they withdrew that one. :lol:

Danz, I hate to tell you this, but the one you say theywithdrew, erm it looks like plastic and even looks like it has the sprew from the mould on it from trimming... No wonder they withdrew that one. :lol:

OK. Or could it be because it's behind the plastic of the pack the RM issuied them in. :P

A question to be asked is when was the last incorrectly rendered design issued by the RM? Spelling mistakes in the legend are common enough, but to actually release the wrong design into circulation may be a first. The withdrawn 1887 sixpences were due to confusion with half sovereigns. The 2008 20p and the 1983 2 NEW PENCE pieces were mules with an obsolete design and so don't count. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head. Clearly they had to reduce the lined design down to the correct size, so you would have thought someone would have noticed unless there were 2 prospective designs, only one of which was adopted. I think there may be more to this than meets the eye.

Indeed - it suggests that two master dies had been made up... interesting that the 'withdrawn' one is in the 'specimen' folder; perhaps there was a mix up when the dies went for their 'specimen' finish treatment?

Still no takers on the last time an unadopted design was inadvertently adopted?

Go on - you know you're dying to enlighten us! :P

Don't know of one, that's why I'm asking.

I spoke to Danz on the phone and I hadn't heard about it (but will of course include it in the next Check your Change). I'm pleased that I've got one of the 'wrong' ones in the RM package. I had to purchase all 29 of the bloody things so that I can do the pictures.

All these problems lately, one could come to the conclusion that the RM are finding it hard to get things right due to the sheer volume of different coins they are churning out of late. Perhaps they should concentrate on providing the public with coins to facilitate low value transactions, rather than simply medallions with face values, sold to line their pockets.

• Like 1

In that case, forgive me! I thought you had one up your sleeve that you could dazzle us with!

It does seem strange that a design that they had apparently consigned to the recycling bin appeared on the final item...

One thing that has just occurred to me, has anyone seen/got a not-so-wavey one in a pres-pack? Possibly they saw the design on these and decided to do a quick redesign for the circulation issue? Though its a lot of effort for only a million pieces...

Also, why is the cycling one only got an issue of less than half that of the rest?! (see here)

One wonders whether some of the scarcer dies that appear for just one year and then disappear are in this category. eg pennies in 1897 and 1908

David

One wonders whether some of the scarcer dies that appear for just one year and then disappear are in this category. eg pennies in 1897 and 1908

David

If you are talking about the 1908 164A it's the observe design used on the half penny so could have been accidental.

All these problems lately, one could come to the conclusion that the RM are finding it hard to get things right due to the sheer volume of different coins they are churning out of late.

Perhaps it's due to the mint being largely staffed by eastern european works like most industry here in the UK now. My wife works as a QA in a local factory where it's one thing after the next going wrong all the time. A while back they layed off most of the english workers in favour of busing in tempory staff. Once was the bigest employer in the town, now hard to find someone speaking english there now.

All these problems lately, one could come to the conclusion that the RM are finding it hard to get things right due to the sheer volume of different coins they are churning out of late.

Perhaps it's due to the mint being largely staffed by eastern european works like most industry here in the UK now. My wife works as a QA in a local factory where it's one thing after the next going wrong all the time. A while back they layed off most of the english workers in favour of busing in tempory staff. Once was the bigest employer in the town, now hard to find someone speaking english there now.

Please do not get me started on foreign temps !, I once worked for de la rue as a courier in Basingstoke via another company, after picking up from DeLaRue I would then go round all the banks and on to london, park the Van up and then go to the one I had to do last ( I am trying not to be too particular as it is probably still sensitive) I often carried a half plate for some currency or other. One day I was asked to break in a new guy on the route, and he always had trouble after maidenhead getting his route to london. One day when he was sent out alone I heard he went missing, a full scale panic went on and everybody and I do mean everybody was alerted including ports etc, they eventualy found him sitting in Tadley at his parents home too scared to say what had happened, he had got lost at maidenhead and decided to go home, didn't have the brains to phone head office or alert DeLaRue security, it seemed he was carrying Bearer bonds for an insane amount as well as a half plate or two.

How can you get lost from Maidenhead to London?! I mean, I know its only a little tiny road, but I think the M4 takes you right into Hammersmith!

Perhaps they should concentrate on providing the public with coins to facilitate low value transactions,

What? Use coins to buy things you mean? Like in the old days?

Nah, I can't see the public going for that idea at all Chris!

How can you get lost from Maidenhead to London?! I mean, I know its only a little tiny road, but I think the M4 takes you right into Hammersmith!

It's easy to get lost, I went round the london eye about 14 times in one night trying to get out of the darn place, car was complete with wife 2 kids and a friend coming from walthamstow and simply computers, more recently in the last 5 years I had a tom tom that got me lost as well. so much for technology.

It's easy to get lost, I went round the london eye about 14 times in one night trying to get out of the darn place, car was complete with wife 2 kids and a friend coming from walthamstow and simply computers, more recently in the last 5 years I had a tom tom that got me lost as well. so much for technology.

Well, if you will play drums instead of keeping your eyes on the road :D