British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Searching in vain - milled silver elephant

I am wondering if any of the brilliant members of this forum know of an English milled silver piece with elephant or elephant and castle below bust for sale - premium price paid for a VF+ item?

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but I believe these might have been minted in crowns and/or half crowns in Charles II, James II, William & Mary, William III, Anne, and George I?

Thanks for any help!

Paul

I am wondering if any of the brilliant members of this forum know of an English milled silver piece with elephant or elephant and castle below bust for sale - premium price paid for a VF+ item?

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but I believe these might have been minted in crowns and/or half crowns in Charles II, James II, William & Mary, William III, Anne, and George I?

Thanks for any help!

Paul

The Elephant & Castle coins were minted under Charles II (1660-1685) James II (1685-1688) James being the 5 Guinea, William & Mary (1688-1694) William III (1694-1702) Charles were in Gold 2 Guineas and 1 Guinea, Halfcrowns. VF+ examples (Spinks suggested price guide) would start at 4 figures. I personally don't know of any for sale.

I think the only Silver Coins are the CHARLES II Crowns, Halfcrowns and Shillings which are found the Elephant alone,

and also with the Elephant and Castle and a WILLIAM III Halfcrown with Elephant and Castle. over VF you will find

they can cost £2000.00 to £10000.00 plus. You may find a POOR Crown of Charles II around £200.00. Gold Coins turn up

for all the reigns you mention and are easier to find. To find outside of the large London Auctions will take some

hard searching !and most will be vastly overgraded.

There's a Charles II shilling with the elephant too as Mark Rasmussen just sold one.

http://www.rascoins.com/global22/Coinpagelarge.cfm?iname=104.jpg&coinid=12971&piclib=ED211

I think your best bet would be to contact a few dealers and put it in as a want and they will do the searching for you. It won't be cheap though!

However, if it's just the elephant you're keen on, there are also the Ceylon (Sri Lanka) Stivers of George III as a cheaper option!

Geo III 2 Stivers coin

Edited by TomGoodheart

There's a Charles II shilling with the elephant too as Mark Rasmussen just sold one.

http://www.rascoins.com/global22/Coinpagelarge.cfm?iname=104.jpg&coinid=12971&piclib=ED211

I think your best bet would be to contact a few dealers and put it in as a want and they will do the searching for you. It won't be cheap though!

However, if it's just the elephant you're keen on, there are also the Ceylon (Sri Lanka) Stivers of George III as a cheaper option!

Geo III 2 Stivers coin

Just English milled silver for me, maybe I'll have to pretend that it isn't a different 'type' ...

Do you know what the shilling went for and if so are you allowed to say?

Geo III 2 Stivers coin

Just English milled silver for me, maybe I'll have to pretend that it isn't a different 'type' ...

£2750. ex Ashby 2448.

Geo III 2 Stivers coin

£2750. ex Ashby 2448.

Thanks, I have contacted some dealers on-line, and if there are any dealers/members on here that know of one for sale please let me know, I have a reasonable budget for one!

Geo III 2 Stivers coin

£2750. ex Ashby 2448.

Thanks, I have contacted some dealers on-line, and if there are any dealers/members on here that know of one for sale please let me know, I have a reasonable budget for one!

So do I :ph34r:

Where did you get this reference from? I cant find it on his current webpage?

Rascoins website

Thanks Rob, for some reason I was still getting his old list via bookmarked page :blink:

So do I, but the new link came via email with list 22. The new site has the /global22 bit stuck on the end - whatever that means.

Geo III 2 Stivers coin

£2750. ex Ashby 2448.

So do I :ph34r:

That's all I need, two of us going for the same coin! :(

Nice Charles II Crown 1666 Elephant below DNW 16 June 2010 Lot 664 Estimate £1200.00-£1500.00

Fetched £1700.00..So Buyer paid £2125.00 and the poor seller got £1394.00.Thats 65.6% !!!

It looks a nice coin

post-6970-093372300 1325589924_thumb.jpg

post-6970-043295900 1325590570_thumb.jpg

Nice Charles II Crown 1666 Elephant below DNW 16 June 2010 Lot 664 Estimate £1200.00-£1500.00

Fetched £1700.00..So Buyer paid £2125.00 and the poor seller got £1394.00.Thats 65.6% !!!

It looks a nice coin

35% profit for the House... bang on Mr Webb's target!

It looks severely cleaned, though.

I have £756 on it ;)

poor? thats fair.

and £102 a;ready.. sheez

Its the wee elephant that does it Scott. P.s, i was only kidding about the bid ;)

Just wondering if this is the same coin sold at Lockdales this year in auction around March/April. I remember John mentioning one (argentumandcoins) and i'd live bidded on the same auction and watched that coin sell for around 600 quid. Anyone got a catalogue from that auction because these coins don't come around often so should be easily spotted if they popped up

Edited by azda