British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest Casper

WWF 2011 50 pence piece coin - Can anyone tell me about this coin?

Guest Casper

I am really curious about this coin. How rare is it to find one? I have found two in 24 hours, what are the chances of this? When were they issued? How many of this coin are there in circulation? I saw there are 50,000 with folders, were these circulated by the banks or did someone who bought one of the folder spend their 50p? I am not a coin collector, but these have made me interested in special coins.

Thank you for any information.

I am really curious about this coin. How rare is it to find one? I have found two in 24 hours, what are the chances of this? When were they issued? How many of this coin are there in circulation? I saw there are 50,000 with folders, were these circulated by the banks or did someone who bought one of the folder spend their 50p? I am not a coin collector, but these have made me interested in special coins.

Thank you for any information.

I haven't a clue how many were made other than the figures in Spink which say 1500 in gold, 3500 piedfort (double thickness) in silver and 40000 silver proofs including those in sets. 40000 cupro-nickel (not silver) proof sets were issued and you say 50000 specimens in a presentation folder. No figure is given for regular currency, but it will be more than the special issues. Not rare, but can probably be found on ebay listed as unique. ;)

Edited by Rob

royal mint doesnt have 2011 mintage figures apart from sporting series

so there probably are circulation issues just the mint hasn't said how many for 2011 coins yet

Has anyone had a Kew one yet?

Yep, a couple of months ago - went straight in the 'keepers' pot!

ive a couple of each, kept them for no real reason other than they came in my change.

I've only had Olympic ones. Not sure how many of the designs, they just got popped in the drawer with all the other commemorative coins from the last few years. I seem to remember I'm still missing Quiddich, Ice Cream Throwing and Extreme Ironing. Bog Snorkelling too, if that's now an Olympic sport ..! The Kew one looks nice though ...

i just get 1997's...all...the.....time

i have 3 of the olympics. lucky to get two very early in the year.

not seen anything kew gardens or even a 2008 britannia yet (last 2008 coin i need :()

i just get 1997's...all...the.....time

i have 3 of the olympics. lucky to get two very early in the year.

not seen anything kew gardens or even a 2008 britannia yet (last 2008 coin i need :()

Edited by Gollum

I've only had Olympic ones. Not sure how many of the designs, they just got popped in the drawer with all the other commemorative coins from the last few years. I seem to remember I'm still missing Quiddich, Ice Cream Throwing and Extreme Ironing. Bog Snorkelling too, if that's now an Olympic sport ..! The Kew one looks nice though ...

:lol:

While we're on the subject, can anyone enlighten me how it is that professional football and tennis players can strut their stuff (for no pay) at The Olympics, while professional boxers cannot? Seems not only unjust, but completely farcical.

• Like 1

:lol:

While we're on the subject, can anyone enlighten me how it is that professional football and tennis players can strut their stuff (for no pay) at The Olympics, while professional boxers cannot? Seems not only unjust, but completely farcical.

blame Boris, he likes to see people play with their balls.

Guest Dawn Watson

I have this rare piece in my possession - what I want to know is how much is it worth and how do I go about selling it for a good price?

1480790422646-1475555768.jpg

1480791280469-759366461.jpg

If it has been taken from circulation it will be worth 50p. Genuinely uncirculated pieces will be worth a couple pounds or so. A proof from the sets slightly more. It isn't rare. The hyperbole seen in the Daily Mail and similar is not designed to inform the public, rather it is a means to increase newspaper sales.

If it was worth more than 50p, do you not think the banks would be selling them above face value?

They are selling for between £5 and £9 (depends on condition obviously) on eBay for circulated condition. Look out for the ones in a sealed presentation pack, I just got one for £5 meaning the coin is BU inside. Check my website for more details on the WWF 50p, Kew Gardens 50p, 2012 Olympics coins and many other rare coins. (not sure if I am allowed to post a link so PM me if you want it).

Edited by ukcoins.co.uk
typo

It's a bit disingenuous to call most decimals rare. The only ones issued as intended and not due to due fill etc that can reasonably be called rare are the 1983 2 new pence and the acquatics face obscured 50p. The others are rare in appearance only because the not so clever British public have bought these in the past at inflated prices. All this nonsense about warts, necklaces, mis-spellings such as P for R simply due to die fill being rare is garbage and will come back to bite the backsides of buyers. It has all the scope of the London Mint Office rip-offs in terms of a disgruntled public.

A good example being the MEGA-RARE undated 20p which had 863 of the bl***y things listed at one point after the tabloids got hold of the news. I had one in my change 3 months ago, and that is without religously scouring every bit of change I receive.

Prices realised on ebay are somewhat variable - it might go for anything up to £10, or it might not sell at all. I stuck a lot of three brass threepences on the wife's listings a week or so ago - 1949, 1950 and 1951, I thought these being as rare as any of the allegedly rare decimals ought to sell ok. Guess what - it went for a quid.

As a final point, if you genuinely believe these are worth so much, it would be in your interest to make a reasonable offer of 2/3 what you say they are worth, so offer £6 to buy it.

there was a pile of bu***rap in the press the other day saying that along with the kew gardens 50p these coins are rare and worth £15

Dont belive the hype you should try a few coin dealers first to find out their worth  , i will give you a clue its  somewhere between 49p and 51p

On 6/12/2016 at 7:53 AM, ukcoins.co.uk said:

They are selling for between £5 and £9 (depends on condition obviously) on eBay for circulated condition. Look out for the ones in a sealed presentation pack, I just got one for £5 meaning the coin is BU inside. Check my website for more details on the WWF 50p, Kew Gardens 50p, 2012 Olympics coins and many other rare coins. (not sure if I am allowed to post a link so PM me if you want it).

If your website has good information on coins/coin collecting, post away, free information is more than welcome.

However if it's just your site where you sell coins, probably best not to.

On 12/6/2016 at 6:53 AM, ukcoins.co.uk said:

(not sure if I am allowed to post a link so PM me if you want it).

This made me smile, ukcoins.co.uk doesn't know if he can post a link to his website :D

• Like 3