British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I was wondering what experience other members have had with on-line shops (other than eBay) such as John Newman, Online coins, David Seaman, Coinage of England, et al, and whether there are any people would particularly recommend, for buying or selling? If you were selling a James II shilling in aVF would you use eBay or something else?

Thanks for any help!

I Take it you have a James II shiilling in AVF for sale then lol

I do, but I am not sure how to grade it or the best way to sell it, I am only just starting to take this hobby seriously and have a lot to learn! It was sold to me as aVF but I think I would grade it as something like 'GF+ and probably dipped'

I would value your opinion(s)! (It is much more 'shiny' than the photos show)

post-7139-058249000 1324640040_thumb.png

post-7139-075356900 1324640078_thumb.png

Edited by Paulus

I do, but I am not sure how to grade it or the best way to sell it, I am only just starting to take this hobby seriously and have a lot to learn! It was sold to me as aVF but I think I would grade it as something like 'GF+ and probably dipped'

It is short of VF, but not that far away because there is still a degree of hair detail and based on the image nVF would probably be more appropriate, but it has been polished which is a no-no and as they are not rare won't help the cause. Selling on ebay, honestly described as cleaned is probably the best way because on there, people see what they want to see. A dealer will knock it down for being polished unless it is a Hobson's Choice piece (which it isn't).

It is short of VF, but not that far away because there is still a degree of hair detail and based on the image nVF would probably be more appropriate, but it has been polished which is a no-no and as they are not rare won't help the cause. Selling on ebay, honestly described as cleaned is probably the best way because on there, people see what they want to see. A dealer will knock it down for being polished unless it is a Hobson's Choice piece (which it isn't).

Thanks Rob, I will be listing it later today with your suggested description, loving this forum! :D

I use eBay for most of my British stuff and buy from a wide range of sellers, some are good, some are bad, its all the luck of the draw, sometimes I open up the package to be pleasantly surprised other times I open it up to find a rim-dinged coin (can't fault it though, got the crown for slightly more than bullion pricing anyways). But for my ancient coins (and I think there are some British coins occasionally) I use Forum (Spelled Forvm on logos and the like) Ancient Coins and they've been pretty fair with me.