British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Generic Lad

Best looking portraits on coins?

Just wondering what you all think are the best executed portraits on coins (either real or fictional). For me it would have to be either the Gothic portrait of Victoria like on the Crown/Florin or Queen Jadwiga on the 1932-1933 Polish coins.

126205d1307553295-24.jpg

What about your picks?

A deep portrait such as the Greek or Roman is a good starter. Probably the best of British is something like the Elizabeth I pledge penny or the Charles II petition crown portraits because they are 3/4 facing - so ask petitioncrown to upload some. Cromwell's isn't bad as it has a deep relief which isn't usually seen on coin, nor George V. Most being profiles in low relief means it is lot more difficult to portray the image - good example of which is the early Charles II hammered issues. With a full head of hair, the portraits are very appealing, but usually they are flat and quite feaureless. It is probably no coincidence that three of the above were engraved by Thomas Simon. Even on the shilling below the attention to detail is quite obvious. The stippled detail Simon applied to the drapery and flesh adds to the effect in my opinion.

121-Copy.jpg

Consistency of strike and the increased force available with milled coinage means it is much easier to produce a good effigy compared to hammered, but even amongst the latter are some good images such as the Charles II mentioned above and the Edward VI portraits are similarly competent. Last issue hammered of Charles II below, again by Simon.

015.jpg

Edited by Rob

988233.jpg

not the best looking face, but a great portrait for the relief

976567.jpg

my fave

I concur that the Victoria young head is well executed.

1853proofhalfpennyobvex-Norweb.jpg

post-4737-051318800 1324063459_thumb.jpg

Wot? Please post an unmodified version. Thanks.

Wot? Please post an unmodified version. Thanks.

The only "modification" was the removal (from a scan that was reduced to coin size originally to go in my database, but then resized for this forum) of a pixellated and messy field, that is peerless in real life but re-photographing all my best coins is a project that awaits the time and energy and the lack of a Saturnalia, to actually progress. Believe me, that modified version shows the portrait much better than the first version, which no longer exists.

Just for you, here's a close approximation to your penny obverse.

img142.jpg

img142.jpg

Cool - though I'm surprised at you not spotting mine was a twopence! But your picture is much better. I really must photograph even a few of my best coins.

img142.jpg

Cool - though I'm surprised at you not spotting mine was a twopence! But your picture is much better. I really must photograph even a few of my best coins.

Have to confess I didn't check and just assumed with the penny being the commoner of the two that's what it was, but knew it wouldn't be a halfpenny. ;)

On another point though, I'd like to know why some of these obverses on KH6 (P1153) have the discoloured ring on the raised rim. I assume it must be something to do with the bronzing process, but can't see how it would come about. Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Rob

Definitely the young busts of Elizabeth for me, especially 2B. All my other favourites are already mentioned above, excepting William III, who looks so completely regal on his coinage, yet so efeminate in his oil paintings.

Young head Victoria, so elegant and cameo, and Cromwell, appearing so alive on his coins that he looks for all the world like he could leap off of it and rip your throat out at the mere mention of a dance in church!

Definitely the young busts of Elizabeth for me, especially 2B. All my other favourites are already mentioned above, excepting William III, who looks so completely regal on his coinage, yet so efeminate in his oil paintings.

Young head Victoria, so elegant and cameo, and Cromwell, appearing so alive on his coins that he looks for all the world like he could leap off of it and rip your throat out at the mere mention of a dance in church!

Lord Protector rather than Lord of the Dance, eh?

We love to hate those Puritans these days, and they probably were in a whole lot of ways a grumpy and cheerless lot. But I suppose in the context of the times, with a floridly embellished, richly ornamented but discredited Catholic church selling dispensations to allow entry to heaven, and an Anglican church busy trying to be an English-speaking version of the Catholics, any group that went back to 'simplicity' and 'plainness' must have seemed refreshing to some.

We love to hate those Puritans these days, and they probably were in a whole lot of ways a grumpy and cheerless lot. But I suppose in the context of the times, with a floridly embellished, richly ornamented but discredited Catholic church selling dispensations to allow entry to heaven, and an Anglican church busy trying to be an English-speaking version of the Catholics, any group that went back to 'simplicity' and 'plainness' must have seemed refreshing to some.

Very similar to the Afghan Taliban in their philosophy

Just wondering what you all think are the best executed portraits on coins (either real or fictional). For me it would have to be either the Gothic portrait of Victoria like on the Crown/Florin or Queen Jadwiga on the 1932-1933 Polish coins.

What about your picks?

I quite like this one 2skilling.jpg

My first belly laugh in ages! :-)

My first belly laugh in ages! :-)

Absolutely identical to the Afghan Taliban in every way. Just a few minor amendments...

For hanging, substitute 'a fine'

For decapitation with a sabre, substitute 'a fine'

For chopping off a hand or two, substitute 'a fine'

For purging of professionals, academics, and intellectuals, substitute 'scowling disapproval'

For attitudes to women, substitute 'Hey! Some of the best Puritans are women!'

For banning Christmas, oops, no substitution :D

An' a merry Christmas to ya too Mr Peckris! An' I suppose you'll want payin' for Christmas day an' all? Bah, humbug!

The finest of forums, sir!

An' a merry Christmas to ya too Mr Peckris! An' I suppose you'll want payin' for Christmas day an' all? Bah, humbug!

The finest of forums, sir!

There's a great Dickens quote in a BBC trailer on now :

Stern employer to office boy "Your Christmas holiday starts right now"

Boy tugs forelock and is suitably grateful. As he reaches the door, the employer says "...and ends right now."

I quite like this one 2skilling.jpg

Was Gene Wilder ever king of Sweden?

I don't know about the best but out of the coins and medals I have owned in the past I like these portraits:

1928, Von Hindenburg

5vnp7l.jpg

GIII Gilt proof farthing

2vw76a8.jpg

On another point though, I'd like to know why some of these obverses on KH6 (P1153) have the discoloured ring on the raised rim. I assume it must be something to do with the bronzing process, but can't see how it would come about. Thoughts anyone?

Could be that was the contact point at the bottom of the vessel in which the coin was being toned.

Could be that was the contact point at the bottom of the vessel in which the coin was being toned.

Possible, but it looks as if the coin is more bronzed at the ring which contradicts the assumptions I would make for contacting surfaces where I would expect less bronzing action to occur. A possibility is that it's due to contact with a concentrated area of bronzing chemical. It isn't due to contact with the vessel rim containing the chemical because the bronzing continues outside the ring. A useful starting point would be knowing how the process is physically carried out.