British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gollum

Hello everyone

When I said "older people" I really meant elderly. I wasn't trying to imply that members here were ancient....

When I said "older people" I really meant elderly. I wasn't trying to imply that members here were ancient....

When you've stopped digging that hole, shall I pass you a ladder.... ;)

Only joking! :D

Edited by Accumulator

Ah, but we're Baby Boomers :) We will never grow old. ("Hope I die before...") :D

To put it into context, the new decimal half penny had had its final issue just before I was born!

I am showing my igorance here (and my age)but what's a tanner?! :ph34r:

Hi Debbie,

There are a wealth of nicknames for old money, some of them regional. for example the sixpence or tanner was known where I come from as a 'sprazie', Derivation is from the rhyming slang, 'Sprazie Anna' I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what a sprazie was and how it became associated with a sixpence...

Shillings were a 'bob', silver groats and threepences, 'joeys' and Londoners would usually refer to five shillings as a 'dollar'. Don't forget also that pre-decimal halfpennies were invariably pronounced as 'hay-pnee' and 1 1/2d as three-'aypence. You would get very odd looks if you pronounced them as they were written!

So what part of the country is that then Red? I must admit I have never heard of that one. Funny that we don't seem to have many nick names for todays coinage - apart from a "quid" I suppose. Wherever did that one come from? :huh:

So what part of the country is that then Red? I must admit I have never heard of that one. Funny that we don't seem to have many nick names for todays coinage - apart from a "quid" I suppose. Wherever did that one come from? :huh:

That's Latin for "what". No, I'm none the wiser!

There was once a squid that caught a cold and sneezed and snuffled at the bottom of the ocean. While incapacitated, an octopus came along, swept it up and dropped it off at another octopus's home, saying "Here's that sick squid I owe you".

:D

Chambers dictionary says "origin obscure" but defines quid as "pound sterling, formerly a guinea"

London, but I'm an ex-pat...

I well remember 'play shopping' at school in the years leading up to 1971. I'm fairly sure the schools were issued with cardboard (?) coins to help. Some of us would be shopkeepers with dummy packets of food etc. while the rest of the class were shoppers with these cardboard coins. It certainly brightened up the maths lessons and really wasn't that difficult.

Yes I do remember those. Ours were QE2 and all dated 1953 but (this was pre-1961) I had never actually seen a Queen Elizabeth penny, so it certainly roused the curiosity of this mixed infant as to whether they actually existed.

You seemed to get a lot more for your £ pre 71.

Grandads saved their pre 47 silver and I could get huge bags of 1d & 1/2d's to search through...you got 2,400 1/2ds in those days for a fiver (I was too young for circulating farthings...but every Tom,Dick and Harry had a tin full)

I also loved 10 shilling and pound notes and have attempted to amass them back to the 1930/40's.

I think you need a crystal ball to predict collecting trends.

The 1953 plastic set was selling for £6 back in 1971 & unc Queen Liz sovereigns were £5.

In the latest Coin News the Kew Garden 50p's were mentioned (mintage 10,000) these will rocket if the press pick up on it.

Edited by Peter

You seemed to get a lot more for your £ pre 71.

Grandads saved their pre 47 silver and I could get huge bags of 1d & 1/2d's to search through...you got 2,400 1/2ds in those days for a fiver (I was too young for circulating farthings...but every Tom,Dick and Harry had a tin full)

I also loved 10 shilling and pound notes and have attempted to amass them back to the 1930/40's.

I think you need a crystal ball to predict collecting trends.

The 1953 plastic set was selling for £6 back in 1971 & unc Queen Liz sovereigns were £5.

In the latest Coin News the Kew Garden 50p's were mentioned (mintage 10,000) these will rocket if the press pick up on it.

1 The real inflation was after the Arab-Israeli war in 1973 and the massive rise in oil prices. Decimalisation caused very little inflation, and only affected 'coppers', and only for a month or two.

2 How about this - in one 1970 price guide, a BU 1932 penny is listed at £50 (two weeks' wages then) while a BU 1797 twopence is listed at £35 !!!