British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gollum

Hello everyone

Yes - the design of the £1 reverses have been way way superior to the dismal treatment of 50p's and £5's. I'd not realised that the edge motto on 2010 was "Pro Tanto Quid Retribuamus". Quid on a quid!

The new 50p gets me frustrated, everytime I look at them they seem to be slapping a new reverse on it, i have been looking for the dolphin one (for the wife as she likes dolphins), I think it's only from Gibraltar but then i'm a novice.

I still can't make my mind up what specific British Coins to collect as they ALL look so nice ( imagine Gollum and his ring here ) , but I have a particular liking for the old tanner and thruppence, as well as the bronze thruppence. Decisions, decisions.

I am getting excited tonight, I asked if anyone had any coins on the local freecycle site and someone said he was a detectorist and had lots I coud have for free, so....I hope I am going to have some fun tonight and my first lot of old or unknown coins to sort through.

The new 50p gets me frustrated, everytime I look at them they seem to be slapping a new reverse on it, i have been looking for the dolphin one (for the wife as she likes dolphins), I think it's only from Gibraltar but then i'm a novice.

I still can't make my mind up what specific British Coins to collect as they ALL look so nice ( imagine Gollum and his ring here ) , but I have a particular liking for the old tanner and thruppence, as well as the bronze thruppence. Decisions, decisions.

The old tanner is a good series to collect as its small size makes it lower on the popularity list, and prices are therefore more affordable.

By "bronze thrupenny" do you mean the brass 12-sided one? Another good series to collect as they range from the ultra-common ultra-cheap (both reigns) to the very scarce and not very affordable. You could get a full set of BU Liz II for somewhere around £50 I'd say.

Both of those and the silver thruppence. But then again I like ALL coins and it is so hard not to be a magpie isn't it :lol: .

Hi there! Sorry for being a little late to the party, but welcome and good luck with your collecting! Collecting for the artistry is as good a reason as any, and frankly, we all collect for some obscure reason or other! You won't find anyone knocking you here!

You mention that you are in Newbury... If you are interested, a couple of members and I attend Reading Coin Club... I realise its not that close, but we meet monthly, have talks on various topics, and have numerous 'dealer' tables (including a few 10p buckets!)

The club website is in my signature (below), so either drop me an email via that (I get the contactus... emails) or send me a PM (personal message!) here and I'll give you full details! Oh and our next meeting is on 9th Jan!

:)

Cerbera100

I am NOT talking to you ! <_<:rolleyes: , you're one of them nasty people from that Reading Coin Club I asked for membership prices of some time back now and I NEVER got a reply, REALLY miffed now, in fact I am so miffed I may give them another chance.

Seriously though I sent them an email a while back now and no response, which tells me either

1. Their too elite.

2. They are erm small and not watching their emails

3. Someone is not doing their job.

4. I just do not have a important collection and fell through the cracks.

Go kick backside for me will you. If its not too expensive I may join it :D :D .

I spent the grand total of £1.50 today on 2 coins from our Forum leader ( all hail Chris ) so I have now filled his xmas stocking this year.... Wait till this festive nonsense is over and the women stop moaning, then it's buy buy buy.

Ooh I forgot, Today I also got my CCGB 2011 from amazon and my ebook of english striking history AND an infernal 1964 JFK half dollar in case from someone who said it was ugly and I could have it, I tend to agree, those American coins are no where near as pretty as our English ones.

Ooh I forgot, Today I also got my CCGB 2011 from amazon and my ebook of english striking history AND an infernal 1964 JFK silver half dollar in a case from someone who said it was ugly and I could have it, I tend to agree, those American coins are no where near as pretty as our English ones :P .

Cerbera100

I am NOT talking to you ! <_<:rolleyes: , you're one of them nasty people from that Reading Coin Club I asked for membership prices of some time back now and I NEVER got a reply, REALLY miffed now, in fact I am so miffed I may give them another chance.

Seriously though I sent them an email a while back now and no response, which tells me either

1. Their too elite.

2. They are erm small and not watching their emails

3. Someone is not doing their job.

4. I just do not have a important collection and fell through the cracks.

Go kick backside for me will you. If its not too expensive I may join it :D :D .

I spent the grand total of £1.50 today on 2 coins from our Forum leader ( all hail Chris ) so I have now filled his xmas stocking this year.... Wait till this festive nonsense is over and the women stop moaning, then it's buy buy buy.

I sincerely apologise! All the emails (officially at least!) come to me - although it is via a POP3 server to my work emails, so possibly some cracks there... I shall have to investigate! Do you know when you emailed?

To answer your points in turn...

1 - given that my personal average monthly spend on coins this has has been less than £2, I dont think we qualify as elite!

2 - active membership is about 30, so not small - email part addressed above ;)

3 - possibly - though that would be me - also addressed above!

4 - minimum membership requirement is to have an example of at least two of the below:

1954 penny

1933 penny

Charles I Oxford Triple Unite

Edward III Double Leopard

Gold Coenwulf penny

Ok, so I'm joking about point 4! Membership is £14 for the year (optional additional £2 supplement for tea/coffee/biscuits - cheapest cuppa in the country!).

Send me a PM (click on the down arrow next to your name in the top right of the screen, then messenger then compose new) and I'll send you any further details that you need!

Ooh ok. Well let me see about your requirements.

1. Thats good and I don't feel so "cheap" now as I have very little money usually.

2 & 3. Your forgiven. Upon receipt of a bag of gold sovereigns.

4. I have at least 2 of each of those cheap and tatty old coins.

5. Oh there wasnt a five was there. So how is membership paid ( ie.What form )

might not get to many if any meetings as i do not have a car etc and I live in a village with no real buses in or out.

Happy to join though just to bump up numbers, give the club an extra few shekels and all that sort of thing B) .

Thanks for the Email reply as well.

Garry

The old tanner is a good series to collect as its small size makes it lower on the popularity list, and prices are therefore more affordable.

I am showing my igorance here (and my age)but what's a tanner?! :ph34r:

I am showing my igorance here (and my age)but what's a tanner?! :ph34r:

Hi Debbie

It's a sixpence

OK, Thanks for that Gollum / Coinery! You know I really do need to get my head around the pre-decimal system ( especially on this site!) I obviously know that the old shilling is equivalent to 5p today, and that an old penny is equivalent to what was half a pence (i think)... is there a conversion table available anywhere? :blink:

Farthing ¼d. 5⁄48p ≈ 0.104p

Halfpenny ½d. 5⁄24p ≈ 0.208p

Penny 1d. 5⁄12p ≈ 0.417p

Threepence 3d. 1¼p

Sixpence 6d. 2½p

Shilling 1/- 5p

Florin 2/- 10p

Half crown 2/6 12½p

Crown 5/- 25p

Pound 20/- 100p

Guinea 21/- 105p

Best I could steal from wikipedia

Gosh, it must have been so confusing for everyone when it all changed over to decimal! How on earth did all the older people cope with the changes? I find it especially odd that a pound still converted to a new pound,but a penny was no longer worth a new penny. I am sure some of you will have first hand experience of this! :unsure:

Gosh, it must have been so confusing for everyone when it all changed over to decimal! How on earth did all the older people cope with the changes? I find it especially odd that a pound still converted to a new pound,but a penny was no longer worth a new penny. I am sure some of you will have first hand experience of this! :unsure:

As a young whippersnapper with all most of his brain cells still intact, it caused me no problem whatever! It has to be said that people were eased into it all very gently - florins and shillings became 10 and 5 pences of identical size, and were first introduced three years before D-Day. Then halfcrowns and halfpennies were demonetised, and the ten shilling note was replaced by the 50p, two years before D-Day. All prices were listed in new AND old money for those three years. So by the time the Big Day came around, all that happened was that 2p, 1p and 1/2p's came in. Six months later, old pennies and threepenny bits quietly disappeared.

Except for the Maundy coins which were revalued as 1, 2, 3 and 4 new pence.

Well, you have to remember that 5p = a shilling, 10p = two (a florin), 25p = a crown (not that they were used much) and 50p = 10 bob. Generally shops managed to convert exactly and where not, a rounding up of a penny to 1/2 New Pence (for which there were coins until 1984) was used. The halfpenny (new) was useful for sixpence (2 1/2p) and half-crown (12 1/2p) items ( a paperback book was 12 1/2 p for example) until inflation made 1/2ps useless.

It was certainly much easier than the metrification of units which was done with such little enthusiasm that we have ended up with pints of beer, bottles of milk that are neither a round number of pints nor ml, petrol in litres but use MPH for speed limits, metres for stopping distances .. and a population that generally still thinks of their weight and hight in stones and feet ..

And of course, we old people all learned maths at school and exams were nowhere near as easy as they are now. I don't know a single teenager that can work out quite why 15 men should fill a bath at 12 MPH, or how much change to give without the use of an iPod.

:P

And of course, we old people all learned maths at school and exams were nowhere near as easy as they are now. I don't know a single teenager that can work out quite why 15 men should fill a bath at 12 MPH, or how much change to give without the use of an iPod.

:P

Erm is it because the speed limit is 30 ? I am either not so old at 52 or going senile.

As a young whippersnapper with all most of his brain cells still intact, it caused me no problem whatever! It has to be said that people were eased into it all very gently - florins and shillings became 10 and 5 pences of identical size, and were first introduced three years before D-Day. Then halfcrowns and halfpennies were demonetised, and the ten shilling note was replaced by the 50p, two years before D-Day. All prices were listed in new AND old money for those three years. So by the time the Big Day came around, all that happened was that 2p, 1p and 1/2p's came in. Six months later, old pennies and threepenny bits quietly disappeared.

I well remember 'play shopping' at school in the years leading up to 1971. I'm fairly sure the schools were issued with cardboard (?) coins to help. Some of us would be shopkeepers with dummy packets of food etc. while the rest of the class were shoppers with these cardboard coins. It certainly brightened up the maths lessons and really wasn't that difficult.