Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geoff T

Ultrasound

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

@Rob might know about scott as they're both Mancunians?

I thought Scott once said he was from Stoke on Trent (nearby)

I might be wrong though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott was a couple miles up the road towards Bury.

As stated previously, some of the early members were kids that may have abandoned coin collecting in exchange for the regular distractions - we have all been there! I know of a few members that are still active, but don't contribute any more, but neither do they use social media.

On the broader question of past members, they must be somewhere. Presumably Facebook has taken a good number. What is certain is that they don't post on here. I don't understand why people wouldn't look at a forum, but would go on FB when a dedicated numismatic forum is going to be populated with people with more than a passing interest and therefore potentially a greater knowledge base. 

If you consider the past year and a half since lockdown started, the number of people who started/expanded their collecting must have been considerable, yet the beginners section has only had 5 new topics this year and only had 15 topics posted in 2020. That has to mean people aren't asking questions and are taking the plunge without too much thought, or just relying on social media for their knowledge. It's possible that the wide range of readily available information on the net has negated the need to ask questions - albeit with the caveat that you shouldn't rely on everything you read. But that is probably a lesson to be learned later.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, Rob said:

Scott was a couple miles up the road towards Bury.

As stated previously, some of the early members were kids that may have abandoned coin collecting in exchange for the regular distractions - we have all been there! I know of a few members that are still active, but don't contribute any more, but neither do they use social media.

On the broader question of past members, they must be somewhere. Presumably Facebook has taken a good number. What is certain is that they don't post on here. I don't understand why people wouldn't look at a forum, but would go on FB when a dedicated numismatic forum is going to be populated with people with more than a passing interest and therefore potentially a greater knowledge base.

Some of the members here are actually in the FB group as well, so they're getting replies from people who have decent knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, Rob said:

Scott was a couple miles up the road towards Bury.

As stated previously, some of the early members were kids that may have abandoned coin collecting in exchange for the regular distractions - we have all been there! I know of a few members that are still active, but don't contribute any more, but neither do they use social media.

On the broader question of past members, they must be somewhere. Presumably Facebook has taken a good number. What is certain is that they don't post on here. I don't understand why people wouldn't look at a forum, but would go on FB when a dedicated numismatic forum is going to be populated with people with more than a passing interest and therefore potentially a greater knowledge base. 

If you consider the past year and a half since lockdown started, the number of people who started/expanded their collecting must have been considerable, yet the beginners section has only had 5 new topics this year and only had 15 topics posted in 2020. That has to mean people aren't asking questions and are taking the plunge without too much thought, or just relying on social media for their knowledge. It's possible that the wide range of readily available information on the net has negated the need to ask questions - albeit with the caveat that you shouldn't rely on everything you read. But that is probably a lesson to be learned later.

 

I think newbies are relying on people on YouTube who are more interested in self gain other that what they pretend to be, I continually chase one such r sole around internet land

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2021 at 12:27 AM, 1949threepence said:

I thought Scott once said he was from Stoke on Trent (nearby)

I might be wrong though. 

scott was deffo a manc he even knew where john minshull lived in whitefield

yes i miss scott as well , he was quite young yes , he might be taking a break

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, copper123 said:

scott was deffo a manc he even knew where john minshull lived in whitefield

yes i miss scott as well , he was quite young yes , he might be taking a break

Indeed, hope both he and Peter are OK.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen small ultrasonic jewelry cleaners in Aldi here in Australia. no doubt there are similar in the UK. Don't know how effective they would be for cleaning coins but I suspect they wouldn't inflict any damage as they are low power devices. However any attempt to clean coins should be approached with caution, Personally I still think the bicarb of soda and Al foil in hot water is the best method as it does not attack the coin's surface and the silver sulfide is converted back to silver metal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I've seen small ultrasonic jewelry cleaners in Aldi here in Australia. no doubt there are similar in the UK. Don't know how effective they would be for cleaning coins but I suspect they wouldn't inflict any damage as they are low power devices. However any attempt to clean coins should be approached with caution, Personally I still think the bicarb of soda and Al foil in hot water is the best method as it does not attack the coin's surface and the silver sulfide is converted back to silver metal.

..a bit like the theory behind the halide cycle in halogen lamps.

However......a new filament is shiny, but an old filament is very granular in appearance, since the re-deposition of tungsten

isn't a nice new layer, more following the crystal structure i presume, 

so the re-deposition of silver will surely make the surface of the coin look different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

..a bit like the theory behind the halide cycle in halogen lamps.

However......a new filament is shiny, but an old filament is very granular in appearance, since the re-deposition of tungsten

isn't a nice new layer, more following the crystal structure i presume, 

so the re-deposition of silver will surely make the surface of the coin look different?

Hi Blakeybou,

I guess you would expect the coin to look different if it is cleaned. The real question is. Has it damaged the coin in some way? The images show a NGC MS 62 coin I cleaned using the bicarb Al foil method. I think I prefer the cleaned version. Like I say cleaning is something that should be approached with caution. In addition when you think about it toning is really a form of corrosion that has already effected the coin's surface.

PS how did those seeds go?

Regards,

Ozjohn

Clipboard9.jpg

Clipboard8.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.Correction the coin was PCGS MS62 not NGS MS 62 as previously advised. Sorry if there has been any confusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Hi Blakeybou,

I guess you would expect the coin to look different if it is cleaned. The real question is. Has it damaged the coin in some way? The images show a NGC MS 62 coin I cleaned using the bicarb Al foil method. I think I prefer the cleaned version. Like I say cleaning is something that should be approached with caution. In addition when you think about it toning is really a form of corrosion that has already effected the coin's surface.

PS how did those seeds go?

Regards,

Ozjohn

Clipboard9.jpg

Clipboard8.jpg

 

yes, I think I prefer the cleaned HC too - especially the obverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this particular case, I think the cleaning is definitely the right thing to do. The uncleaned coin has very poor visual appeal. Although the cleaned coin is not lustrous, it is at least much easier on the eye. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Some of the members here are actually in the FB group as well, so they're getting replies from people who have decent knowledge.

True - plus the fact there are several facebook groups. In essence they seem to consist of almost absolute beginners, and others with very little experience. Plus a few really experienced old hands like the Derek Allens, Martin Platts and Tony Crockers of this world, who offer sound guidance. There's also a few amateurish low level auction/trading sites, and those that double up as both.   

The problem with facebook is retrieving old information, or knowing that it even exists. Threads seem to vanish with alarming rapidity, and nothing is retained in any semblance of chronological order. In that sense a forum is much more user friendly - look at the number of times on here that threads, even well over 10 years old, are rooted out and re-posted on/used as a reference tool. Imagine trying to find something on facebook that you vaguely recall from all that time ago. There isn't even a subject line to refer to.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

True - plus the fact there are several facebook groups. In essence they seem to consist of almost absolute beginners, and others with very little experience. Plus a few really experienced old hands like the Derek Allens, Martin Platts and Tony Crockers of this world, who offer sound guidance. There's also a few amateurish low level auction/trading sites, and those that double up as both.   

The problem with facebook is retrieving old information, or knowing that it even exists. Threads seem to vanish with alarming rapidity, and nothing is retained in any semblance of chronological order. In that sense a forum is much more user friendly - look at the number of times on here that threads, even well over 10 years old, are rooted out and re-posted on/used as a reference tool. Imagine trying to find something on facebook that you vaguely recall from all that time ago. There isn't even a subject line to refer to.        

Agreed. The Facebook group seems better suited to beginners as you say - where they can get immediate answers but don't need to access stuff from ages ago. Mind you, there's always the 'Search within Group' feature to find older stuff - though it has to be a Group not a Page (what's the difference? who knows. who cares...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×