British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geoff T

Ultrasound

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

@Rob might know about scott as they're both Mancunians?

I thought Scott once said he was from Stoke on Trent (nearby)

I might be wrong though. 

Scott was a couple miles up the road towards Bury.

As stated previously, some of the early members were kids that may have abandoned coin collecting in exchange for the regular distractions - we have all been there! I know of a few members that are still active, but don't contribute any more, but neither do they use social media.

On the broader question of past members, they must be somewhere. Presumably Facebook has taken a good number. What is certain is that they don't post on here. I don't understand why people wouldn't look at a forum, but would go on FB when a dedicated numismatic forum is going to be populated with people with more than a passing interest and therefore potentially a greater knowledge base. 

If you consider the past year and a half since lockdown started, the number of people who started/expanded their collecting must have been considerable, yet the beginners section has only had 5 new topics this year and only had 15 topics posted in 2020. That has to mean people aren't asking questions and are taking the plunge without too much thought, or just relying on social media for their knowledge. It's possible that the wide range of readily available information on the net has negated the need to ask questions - albeit with the caveat that you shouldn't rely on everything you read. But that is probably a lesson to be learned later.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, Rob said:

As stated previously, some of the early members were kids that may have abandoned coin collecting in exchange for the regular distractions - we have all been there! I know of a few members that are still active, but don't contribute any more, but neither do they use social media.

On the broader question of past members, they must be somewhere. Presumably Facebook has taken a good number. What is certain is that they don't post on here. I don't understand why people wouldn't look at a forum, but would go on FB when a dedicated numismatic forum is going to be populated with people with more than a passing interest and therefore potentially a greater knowledge base.

Some of the members here are actually in the FB group as well, so they're getting replies from people who have decent knowledge.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, Rob said:

If you consider the past year and a half since lockdown started, the number of people who started/expanded their collecting must have been considerable, yet the beginners section has only had 5 new topics this year and only had 15 topics posted in 2020. That has to mean people aren't asking questions and are taking the plunge without too much thought, or just relying on social media for their knowledge. It's possible that the wide range of readily available information on the net has negated the need to ask questions - albeit with the caveat that you shouldn't rely on everything you read. But that is probably a lesson to be learned later.

I think newbies are relying on people on YouTube who are more interested in self gain other that what they pretend to be, I continually chase one such r sole around internet land

On 8/11/2021 at 12:27 AM, 1949threepence said:

I thought Scott once said he was from Stoke on Trent (nearby)

I might be wrong though. 

scott was deffo a manc he even knew where john minshull lived in whitefield

yes i miss scott as well , he was quite young yes , he might be taking a break

• Like 1

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

scott was deffo a manc he even knew where john minshull lived in whitefield

yes i miss scott as well , he was quite young yes , he might be taking a break

Indeed, hope both he and Peter are OK.

• Like 3

I've seen small ultrasonic jewelry cleaners in Aldi here in Australia. no doubt there are similar in the UK. Don't know how effective they would be for cleaning coins but I suspect they wouldn't inflict any damage as they are low power devices. However any attempt to clean coins should be approached with caution, Personally I still think the bicarb of soda and Al foil in hot water is the best method as it does not attack the coin's surface and the silver sulfide is converted back to silver metal.

22 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I've seen small ultrasonic jewelry cleaners in Aldi here in Australia. no doubt there are similar in the UK. Don't know how effective they would be for cleaning coins but I suspect they wouldn't inflict any damage as they are low power devices. However any attempt to clean coins should be approached with caution, Personally I still think the bicarb of soda and Al foil in hot water is the best method as it does not attack the coin's surface and the silver sulfide is converted back to silver metal.

..a bit like the theory behind the halide cycle in halogen lamps.

However......a new filament is shiny, but an old filament is very granular in appearance, since the re-deposition of tungsten

isn't a nice new layer, more following the crystal structure i presume, 

so the re-deposition of silver will surely make the surface of the coin look different?

27 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

..a bit like the theory behind the halide cycle in halogen lamps.

However......a new filament is shiny, but an old filament is very granular in appearance, since the re-deposition of tungsten

isn't a nice new layer, more following the crystal structure i presume, 

so the re-deposition of silver will surely make the surface of the coin look different?

Hi Blakeybou,

I guess you would expect the coin to look different if it is cleaned. The real question is. Has it damaged the coin in some way? The images show a NGC MS 62 coin I cleaned using the bicarb Al foil method. I think I prefer the cleaned version. Like I say cleaning is something that should be approached with caution. In addition when you think about it toning is really a form of corrosion that has already effected the coin's surface.

PS how did those seeds go?

Regards,

Ozjohn

Clipboard9.jpg

Clipboard8.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
typo
  • Like 2

.Correction the coin was PCGS MS62 not NGS MS 62 as previously advised. Sorry if there has been any confusion

19 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Hi Blakeybou,

I guess you would expect the coin to look different if it is cleaned. The real question is. Has it damaged the coin in some way? The images show a NGC MS 62 coin I cleaned using the bicarb Al foil method. I think I prefer the cleaned version. Like I say cleaning is something that should be approached with caution. In addition when you think about it toning is really a form of corrosion that has already effected the coin's surface.

PS how did those seeds go?

Regards,

Ozjohn

Clipboard9.jpg

Clipboard8.jpg

yes, I think I prefer the cleaned HC too - especially the obverse.

In this particular case, I think the cleaning is definitely the right thing to do. The uncleaned coin has very poor visual appeal. Although the cleaned coin is not lustrous, it is at least much easier on the eye. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Some of the members here are actually in the FB group as well, so they're getting replies from people who have decent knowledge.

True - plus the fact there are several facebook groups. In essence they seem to consist of almost absolute beginners, and others with very little experience. Plus a few really experienced old hands like the Derek Allens, Martin Platts and Tony Crockers of this world, who offer sound guidance. There's also a few amateurish low level auction/trading sites, and those that double up as both.   

The problem with facebook is retrieving old information, or knowing that it even exists. Threads seem to vanish with alarming rapidity, and nothing is retained in any semblance of chronological order. In that sense a forum is much more user friendly - look at the number of times on here that threads, even well over 10 years old, are rooted out and re-posted on/used as a reference tool. Imagine trying to find something on facebook that you vaguely recall from all that time ago. There isn't even a subject line to refer to.        

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

True - plus the fact there are several facebook groups. In essence they seem to consist of almost absolute beginners, and others with very little experience. Plus a few really experienced old hands like the Derek Allens, Martin Platts and Tony Crockers of this world, who offer sound guidance. There's also a few amateurish low level auction/trading sites, and those that double up as both.   

The problem with facebook is retrieving old information, or knowing that it even exists. Threads seem to vanish with alarming rapidity, and nothing is retained in any semblance of chronological order. In that sense a forum is much more user friendly - look at the number of times on here that threads, even well over 10 years old, are rooted out and re-posted on/used as a reference tool. Imagine trying to find something on facebook that you vaguely recall from all that time ago. There isn't even a subject line to refer to.        

Agreed. The Facebook group seems better suited to beginners as you say - where they can get immediate answers but don't need to access stuff from ages ago. Mind you, there's always the 'Search within Group' feature to find older stuff - though it has to be a Group not a Page (what's the difference? who knows. who cares...)

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, Sword said:

Some of the earliest members like Emperor Oli and Halfpenny Jon were kids when they first joined. Now in their thirties and have probably given up coin collecting long ago. I guess the hobby was a little more popular with children when the internet was not so big. I don't think there are any regular members younger than 25 (or even 35) now. 

I have been thinking about Peter too. Hopefully he is OK and is just taking a break from here.

Not sure I can be classed as 'regular', but still very much into coins at the age of 35 and 10/12ths.

I remember Peter being the very first person to reply to my first post! I see his last visit was in 2019 - so pre-covid! Hopefully he's ok!

• Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, richtips86 said:

Not sure I can be classed as 'regular', but still very much into coins at the age of 35 and 10/12ths.

I remember Peter being the very first person to reply to my first post! I see his last visit was in 2019 - so pre-covid! Hopefully he's ok!

Younger people are so precise with their age ... 🙂 (Not that I am much older)

Hey, you weren't quite telling the truth with the second sentence. I have just checked and it was Stuart (Coinery) who replied to your first post. Peter was second.

By coincidence, it was Peter who replied to my first post and Stuart being the second. I even naively mentioned that I had slabbed a few coins with CGS in that post... but Peter was surprisingly OK with that.

Ah - Stuart will have to accept my apologies!  🙏