British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

With the imminent release of the Spink standard catalogue for 2012 I thought maybe anyone who manages to get a copy early might like to list any noted revisions or updates here.

Is it out soon ? , I asked locally and they thought it would be during January 2012

I won't bother,

They constantly fail to meet deadlines and don't even get it printed in the UK.

It took them years to even attempt to catch up with Peck/Freeman..far better info is out there.

If Rotographic sorted the milled series prior to 1797 job done. :)

Is it out soon ? , I asked locally and they thought it would be during January 2012

It's available from today.

Allegedly :blink:

Well that's what the email circulated last Friday by Spink said.

I've ordered my 2012 book, delivery date 15-12-11 lets see if that actually happens, last year i got it in January despite them saying it was avaliable in November when i actually ordered it <_<

Hi everyone been a while I know but thought I'd add some info.

I had a email this morning saying they were expecting the books today/tomorrow so will probably start sending them out on Monday. So fingers crossed they will start cropping up here and there the early part of next week.

Edited by AJWcoins

I did a quick visit to Spink while in central London today, the new 2012 was on the shelves so I would have thought in should be on it's way to the orders by post. Had a look through it (though did not buy one!) but only at the Charles I Tower series and noticed a steady small % increase on a few of the types with one in particular having a greater increase than most, this being S.2772 with the VF price increasing to £4250 from £3500 last year. With such an increase does anyone know of one being sold lataly?

Didn't look at any other pages as time was limited but I would imagine there to be a number of increases on rarities in this years 'guide'...well going by this type anyway!

After a very brief look through it appears that most prices are up 10% or more, with some rarities up by as much as 30%. eg 1841 Halfcrown in UNC is up from £5k to £6.5k

Whats the 1975H Penny in EF Nick? 925 last year

Don't forget Spink is just a shot in the dark.You can see the trends and where Spink get this horribly wrong.Lets not end up thinking like the Yanks where everything has to be priced and catagorised.

At the November Midland fair I smirked whilst overhearing a discussion between a dealer and an American who was estowing the virtues of pricelists.The dealers answer was I buy and sell for for whatever I can get...the lower and higher the better.

BTW Mr Spink please change 1959 Scottish shillings in VF to UNC all at 99p plus £1 postage each. :o

Just got hold of mine, some big price rises since my last one (2007 so to be expected ) I see the 1841 Sovereign up from £7000 EF to £17500 EF , but I see Bonhams just sold one 14/12/2011 Lot 272 they called virtually UNC for £34800.00. Wonder what it would have fetched if Gold had not risen like it has ?

Whats the 1975H Penny in EF Nick? 925 last year

I am pleased to see that there is now an illustration of what cinquefoils and stars look like. Can't tell you how many 1845 star stops crowns I've looked at only to find that they are cinquefoils.

One thing I noticed is the vast number of Dealers Adverts (none in my old 2007 Spinks) .I'm surprised Spinks allow that because they must lose some good Coins being sold to other dealers who advertise in there.

Just got hold of mine, some big price rises since my last one (2007 so to be expected ) I see the 1841 Sovereign up from £7000 EF to £17500 EF , but I see Bonhams just sold one 14/12/2011 Lot 272 they called virtually UNC for £34800.00. Wonder what it would have fetched if Gold had not risen like it has ?

The actual gold value has only gone from about £80 to £280 in the last 5 years.It must be the investers and motionless saving rates helping to drive the market....Brace yourselves for the ride down. :o

BTW Mr Spink please change 1959 Scottish shillings in VF to UNC all at 99p plus £1 postage each. :o

That particular coin is surprisingly common in all grades up to and including AUNC. It's very elusive in BU. Whether or not it's £75-elusive (or whatever it shows as now) is perhaps a different matter. 1959 halfcrown, anyone?

Hopefully I'll be opening my new Spink on Christmas day. :)

It's funny how most of us collectors like to see prices rise but, as we buy many more coins than we sell, are consequently just spending more cash to pursue our hobby!

I'd rather spend more Cash on a coin Steve, 2 reasons, 1 you get sweet F.A from a bank These days and 2, i know i'll get something back eventually when/if the time comes to part with it.

I'd rather spend more Cash on a coin Steve, 2 reasons, 1 you get sweet F.A from a bank These days and 2, i know i'll get something back eventually when/if the time comes to part with it.

Very true Dave. I must admit, it's hard not to think of the collection as part of your pension!

I fecking knew it, got this email today from Amazon

Hello,

We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on December 08 2011.

Philip Skingley "Coins of England and the United Kingdom: Standard Catalogue of British Coins"

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

If you would prefer to cancel the item, please visit Your Account on the link below:

It is on Ebay for £25 plus £2.75 maybe more for Germany.

If you wait until March/April it will be in stock on Amazon and about £17 (like last year).

If you have a Spink from about 2007 this would suffice as a guide.

It is on Ebay for £25 plus £2.75 maybe more for Germany.

If you wait until March/April it will be in stock on Amazon and about £17 (like last year).

If you have a Spink from about 2007 this would suffice as a guide.

17 quid only applies to the uk

I am pleased to see that there is now an illustration of what cinquefoils and stars look like. Can't tell you how many 1845 star stops crowns I've looked at only to find that they are cinquefoils.

I can save you the bother and tell you that the 1845 Star Stops does not exist Nick.