British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
unc

William Wyon penny

Hi all,

I am new here but would be extremely grateful if anyone can tell me a bit more about the lettering on my 1854 penny. I can't tell whether or not I have the 1854/3 overdate variety (despite its' alleged mint condition) or just a poor strike. Also, looking at 'dei' it seems to me as though there is either overstamping onto larger serifs (underneath) or some die deterioration double-stamping. Either way, I find it interesting and would like to know a bit more about it if possible. Can anyone help? Thanks, Alex.

Unfortunately, I am unable to attach a picture because my files are too big. Can anyone advise me on how the files can be put up here? I did try to compress but no luck.

Hi all,

I am new here but would be extremely grateful if anyone can tell me a bit more about the lettering on my 1854 penny. I can't tell whether or not I have the 1854/3 overdate variety (despite its' alleged mint condition) or just a poor strike. Also, looking at 'dei' it seems to me as though there is either overstamping onto larger serifs (underneath) or some die deterioration double-stamping. Either way, I find it interesting and would like to know a bit more about it if possible. Can anyone help? Thanks, Alex.

Unfortunately, I am unable to attach a picture because my files are too big. Can anyone advise me on how the files can be put up here? I did try to compress but no luck.

You need to reduce the images to 150kb to post direct, 'click to attach files' below, select images and then select 'Add to post', you will have to post each seperately if they are more than the 150kb max. for each post. alternatively a link to photobucket or the like cane be embedded into the post.

The Copper series is littered with overdates, double strikings and recut dies, the 54/3 is a distinctive type, once you have seen one there is no mistaking it.

John

post-709-026940100 1322987556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chingford

Hi all,

You need to reduce the images to 150kb to post direct, 'click to attach files' below, select images and then select 'Add to post', you will have to post each seperately if they are more than the 150kb max. for each post. alternatively a link to photobucket or the like cane be embedded into the post.

The Copper series is littered with overdates, double strikings and recut dies, the 54/3 is a distinctive type, once you have seen one there is no mistaking it.

John

Thanks John, i'll have another stab at the pictures now.

Alex.post-7106-004382900 1323485779_thumb.jpg

post-7106-048570500 1323485820_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chingford

Re the hair detail on the 4 over 3, it never occurred to me before that this would be the case. Is this because they only used worn 3's to overdate, or is it because the dies used were worn, thus the hair detail a consistent weakness throughout that particular mintage?

Re the hair detail on the 4 over 3, it never occurred to me before that this would be the case. Is this because they only used worn 3's to overdate, or is it because the dies used were worn, thus the hair detail a consistent weakness throughout that particular mintage?

You would think common sense would prevail in only bothering to recut a reletivley unworn die. :unsure:

You would think common sense would prevail in only bothering to recut a reletivley unworn die. :unsure:

Frugal Victorians Peter. You also have to remember that they were striking for currency users not us poor coin collectors.

Frugal Victorians Peter. You also have to remember that they were striking for currency users not us poor coin collectors.

Basically, if it hadn't flown to bits it was still serviceable. How many Victorian (and earlier) coins have you seen with great die cracks running across them. Its days were numbered but if it could still produce a few more coins then they just kept banging away. Nowadays labour represents a high percentage of a manufacturers cost but then it was cheap, so better to pay someone a pittance to recut a die rather than throw it away and start on a new one.

I have attached some obv images

post-709-025084900 1323518271_thumb.jpg

post-709-022108400 1323518274_thumb.jpg

post-709-039175900 1323518277_thumb.jpg

I have attached some obv images

Final image, as Red has said the die has started to crack (R in VICTORIA), becoming unservicable, so probably not many struck after this example

post-709-031066400 1323519463_thumb.jpg

Basically, if it hadn't flown to bits it was still serviceable. How many Victorian (and earlier) coins have you seen with great die cracks running across them. Its days were numbered but if it could still produce a few more coins then they just kept banging away. Nowadays labour represents a high percentage of a manufacturers cost but then it was cheap, so better to pay someone a pittance to recut a die rather than throw it away and start on a new one.

There seem to be many more die cracks prior to the mid 1870's ~ or is that my imagination ? (certainly as far as pennies are concerned)