British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Englishpicker

Where are good places to sell coins that don't fit in with my coll

Hello. I've only been collecting coins for 6 months and I many collect U.K and U.S.A coins. I am an antique buyer / jeweller by trade and I come across my coins this way.

I've ended up with alot of silver world coins that don't fit into what I want to collect. Now with my contacts as a jeweller I could just sell the rest for scrap, but thats such a waste. So I would like to know if anyone knows of a good place to contact.

There mostly European and middle eastern coins and most are in fine or better. I've taken some to see a dealer in Nottingham and 'coincraft' in London but they were quite rude or offered me well below half what I can get for scrap silver. I not looking to make loads of cash, just not have to melt, nice looking coins. Any advice or help would be great.

Tom (English Picker)

post-6950-097181600 1322608221_thumb.gif

Hi Picker

The coins you have shown appear to be low grade and probably melt value.

As you are aware foreign silver varies in purity.(It can be checked in the Krause catalogues).

My local meltman gives me £3.50 for a pre 47 halfcrown and £6.80 for pre 20.US silver @ 80% he pro rata's.

Individual coins which you believe can exceed melt (GVF)or key dates you can sell individually on Ebay.(It's a hassle but my kids do it for a bit of pocket money)

One good thing about this melting thing is getting rid of all the chaff.

Hi Picker

As you are aware foreign silver varies in purity.(It can be checked in the Krause catalogues).

My local meltman gives me £3.50 for a pre 47 halfcrown and £6.80 for pre 20.US silver @ 80% he pro rata's.

Individual coins which you believe can exceed melt (GVF)or key dates you can sell individually on Ebay.(It's a hassle but my kids do it for a bit of pocket money)

What's with the five letter word when four would suffice? :)

If you stick them all on ebay in one lot, it will be very hard for buyers to identify everything that is there from the pics. Its always a bit more tricky with forign coins as above mentioned the silver content tends to vary right from 0.100 right up to .925. If you have several hundred pounds worth or more, you could take them to one of the cheaper fee auction houses in the midlands like A F Brock. That way the buyers will have viewed them all and worked out exactly what the value of the total lot is which is not possible to do on ebay and you should do quite well out of them. Dont forget auctions like Brock are linked with sixbid and thesaleroom.com so they always have internet comission bids being placed from all over the world.

I can offer you a 10% commission rate in auction if there is a decent amount. The next auction will be in April if you can wait that long.

If you need to discuss it you can find my contact details via my web link.

John.

Just out of interest, I think you'll find it's illegal to smelt British silver coins! I know the Americans did something similar for some of their coinage too!

Hi Picker

What's with the five letter word when four would suffice? :)

Your lucky I didn't say chuff...now getting rid of that WOULD be a crime...wait a minute there is some that can go. ;)

Just out of interest, I think you'll find it's illegal to smelt British silver coins! I know the Americans did something similar for some of their coinage too!

Really ? Even old, long since demonetised ones ?

Never knew that.

i thought it was fine for old english

the law is on the legal tender copper coins which are worth more then meltp lol

Never knew that.

It's not true. The Coinage Act of 1971 says:

"10.1 No person shall, except under the authority of a licence granted by the Treasury, melt down or break up any metal coin which is for the time being current in the United Kingdom or which, having been current there, has at any time after 16th May 1969 ceased to be so"

Never knew that.

"10.1 No person shall, except under the authority of a licence granted by the Treasury, melt down or break up any metal coin which is for the time being current in the United Kingdom or which, having been current there, has at any time after 16th May 1969 ceased to be so"

Please don't Nick, poor old Peck will have a melt down if this one starts again :D

Never knew that.

Please don't Nick, poor old Peck will have a melt down if this one starts again :D

I know, I know. I thought long and hard before posting, but maybe he has forgotten. :D

Never knew that.

I know, I know. I thought long and hard before posting, but maybe he has forgotten. :D

Forgotten? I don't think either he or his therapist will forget the anguish that that particular little discussion caused. I'm not an idiot and it left me with pants on head, pencils in nostrils and uttering "wibble"..........................

Speaking of Peck, where is old yeller. He's Not normally this quiet

and 'coincraft' in London but they were quite rude

Tom (English Picker)

Well I never!

RE smelting silver coinage...I looked into this a year ago, and followed ever lead I could and concluded, though I haven't the time or energy to surf it all out again, that you cannot smelt silver coinage. If you ask any reputable silver smelter, for want of a better word, he'll tell you it's illegal to smelt the coins. Anyway, it's of no interest anyway, as the coins are of much better value unsmelted, quite simply because they have the best assay stamp any horder of silver could wish for. Namely, its form, which is easily recognisable the world over, unlike a lump of melted 'silver'.

RE smelting silver coinage...I looked into this a year ago, and followed ever lead I could and concluded, though I haven't the time or energy to surf it all out again, that you cannot smelt silver coinage. If you ask any reputable silver smelter, for want of a better word, he'll tell you it's illegal to smelt the coins. Anyway, it's of no interest anyway, as the coins are of much better value unsmelted, quite simply because they have the best assay stamp any horder of silver could wish for. Namely, its form, which is easily recognisable the world over, unlike a lump of melted 'silver'.

You can believe what you like - it's a free country.

I can offer you a 10% commission rate in auction if there is a decent amount. The next auction will be in April if you can wait that long.

If you need to discuss it you can find my contact details via my web link.

John.

Yer thanks John. I'm got a good amount together. I'm group them based of there silver content ect and conmtact you after the madness of christmas.

Thanks everyone for there words of advice. As regards to the melting of coins, I've worked in the jewellery industry for years and have seen many coins sold to refinnery's and hatton garden scrap dealers~( not by me). Also have seen handfuls of worn vic 3d being melted for casting. Its one of the reasons why I started saving them, and I'd rarther have a nice coin than a lump of silver. Sorry about the rubbish pictures I put up. If you want to see better video's of the coins I get, see my you tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/greenwooddesign

As for my coins, I'll sell some at auction maybe and keep some of the more nice ones, Thanks guys!