British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mat

Peculiar 1863 Penny

Extremely poor condition, however the 3 is oddly slanted and pointing diagonally down, also quite a bit lower than the rest of the date. Any opinions or is it just too worn to make any judgement?

Sorry about the picture, cannot do much better as the date is only just about there.

post-4614-043929500 1322601177_thumb.gif

Too dire to call Mat.

As John says, way too dire. here's a comparison (F42) if it helps you:

post-5762-068444200 1322670508_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the image, its very different though, I just cannot take a clear image of this one as it is so dire. I think you would have to hold it in your hand if you were going to be able to make a pos identification. I have been though about 60 of my own 1863's and the 3 is nothing like the others. The only one I can find that looks simlar is one of the open 3's that sold at London coins. Even if it is an open 3 its so dire I do not think any one would ever confirm it.

Definitely not the open 3 Mat. The central arm points way below the base (the open 3 points at the centre) of the 6. It isn't a slender 3 either. Condition is a killer even if it was something undiscovered it is just too bad to try to ID a die variety from.

Definitely not the open 3 Mat. The central arm points way below the base (the open 3 points at the centre) of the 6. It isn't a slender 3 either. Condition is a killer even if it was something undiscovered it is just too bad to try to ID a die variety from.

Thanks for your input John, on that note I will put it back where I got it from for now until another day.

On another note, how long ago was it since you left the force? I cannot remember how long ago it was we last spoke about that.... however I have still managed to stay in the recruitment process but things are taking forever with the finance cuts....

Mat

Thanks for your input John, on that note I will put it back where I got it from for now until another day.

On another note, how long ago was it since you left the force? I cannot remember how long ago it was we last spoke about that.... however I have still managed to stay in the recruitment process but things are taking forever with the finance cuts....

Mat

2 years 8 months and 17 days but I'm not counting :D If I was still in I would still have 11 years, 11 months and 10 days to do.

According to my former colleagues the job is going from bad to worse, someones got to do it though!

Hang in there Mat and I'm sure it'll all pan out in the end.

Mat

2 years 8 months and 17 days but I'm not counting :D If I was still in I would still have 11 years, 11 months and 10 days to do.

According to my former colleagues the job is going from bad to worse, someones got to do it though!

I hope so! Got my A/C tomorrow with fitness test, if I pass then just final interview to go. I still think your crazy for leaving after everyone in my position is trying so hard to get in, but maybe if I get in I will tell a different story after 15 years! If I pass my A/C tomorrow, would you mind if I picked your brains on a few things in prep for final interview?

Good luck, Mat B)

Mat

I hope so! Got my A/C tomorrow with fitness test, if I pass then just final interview to go. I still think your crazy for leaving after everyone in my position is trying so hard to get in, but maybe if I get in I will tell a different story after 15 years! If I pass my A/C tomorrow, would you mind if I picked your brains on a few things in prep for final interview?

I was a practical cop that used discretion and common sense Mat, I didn't fit in with the modern "service". A mobile ticket machine was more the order of the day for my bonus seeking senior officers. It was a good job, good pay and some good colleagues, but it was spoilt by the imbeciles above the rank of Inspector (and even some of them were tits). Feel free to speak to me, although my last interview was 11 years ago for traffic. If you do get in (and I hope you do if you want it that badly), don't forget where you came from. Treat people the way you would want to be treat yourself, stand by your decisions and never back down from a confrontation or leave a colleague in the shite. If you can manage all of that you won't go far wrong.

Speaking of shite, i hear Sunderland are looking for a

New manager

probably will get AVB or kean then :P

(oddly enough AVB manages sunderland on my football manager game O.O)

there are 4 or 5 differant 3's though, all so minor its not really counted. plus the wear makes them look differant.

Edited by scott

Good luck, Mat B)

Thank you!

And thanks for the pointers John, it appears you still have the core comps fresh on the brain....

I will keep you updated.

Cheers

Extremely poor condition, however the 3 is oddly slanted and pointing diagonally down, also quite a bit lower than the rest of the date. Any opinions or is it just too worn to make any judgement?

Sorry about the picture, cannot do much better as the date is only just about there.

The last digit being misplaced is not that unusual with early bronze pennies, here is an 1860 beaded where the 0 seems to be headed for Australia!

post-798-006819800 1322729468_thumb.jpg

Speaking of shite, i hear Sunderland are looking for a

New manager

Mark Hughes........ Poor old Mackems have they learnt nowt from the Mags? You can't buy your way out of trouble by signing a big name manager. I liked Bruce, a decent man and a decent manager but the trouble with football club owners is that they're all like you Dave, they want instant results, NO PATIENCE :D

nah sunderland would have been fine with bruce, just gyan leaving. and wickam injured didn't help them.