British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest spike3001

Unknown coin - Caracalla

Guest spike3001

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me, I've acquired some coins and I'm confused about this one. Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

Apparently.... One of a late 20th century series of Italian tokens depicting facsimile obverses of coins of each Roman emperor and other Roman rulers and relations. The reverse of the token gives the name of the emperor/ruler in modern Italian (in this case CARACALLA IMPERATORE = "Caracalla, Emperor") and dates: dC = "dopo Christo" ("after Christ") and aC = "avanti Christo" ("before Christ"). The dates given on the token in question are for Caracalla's full lifetime.

Edited by Accumulator

Guest spike3001

Ok, thanks for your help

Guest geri

what is this coin worth? I have one

On 13/4/2017 at 10:54 PM, Guest geri said:

what is this coin worth? I have one

more or less 1 £

On 4/19/2017 at 10:12 PM, Matteo95 said:

more or less 1 £

Did you see the photos of the coins?

14 hours ago, Oswald said:

Did you see the photos of the coins?

Of course I did ...and I saw ( and still see ) a modern token ( not a coin ) with no value at all ... you can find these things on the stalls for tourists in Rome at 1 €.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matteo95 said:

Of course I did ...and I saw ( and still see ) a modern token ( not a coin ) with no value at all ... you can find these things on the stalls for tourists in Rome at 1 €.

Agreed. They have very little monetary value as they are not coins. When you go to Italy and Greece and Egypt on holiday you can pick up these novelty pieces from the stalls and bizzares. They are specifically made for tourists as souvenirs.

On 6/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, Matteo95 said:

Thank you for your reply. I just asked as I did not see pictures in the first message, just only empty squares. Today, everything is ok and I see the pictures, and I absolutely agree with you:rolleyes:.

It is a copy of a gold aureus. I use to have an Augustus and Tiberius version of this bought 35yrs ago on a school trip at the English Heritage centre in Chester next to the Roman amphiteatre.