British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

General news stuff

Well as many of you may of guessed, I was away last week, mainly to attend the wedding of my Uncle Peter (Mums brother) but I also slipped in a quick BBC 3 Counties radio phone in while I was there.

I was on, inbetween the odd other subject for an hour and a half and I think it was certainly one of the best phone ins. The caller/email volume was pretty high and the questions were answered easily, and dare I say it, some were perhaps even slightly interesting. I also had the opportunity to put the listenership right about the 2p rumour after someone asked about it.

Hopefully DJ John will send me a CD of the programme so I can then use up huge amounts of more bloody bandwidth sharing somewhere on the website as a feed/download.

Other news: I was elected as a member of the British Numismatic Society. Ok, so that sounds impressive, but as far as I know, anyone who can read and write, isn't an axe murderer and has £33 per annum to spare can become a member. Although I did have to list the name of a referee (not a Swiss one!!) and I think the fact that I listed 2 existing members, one of which was formerly on the comitee probably helped somewhat.

The BNS welcome new members, especially younger ones, so check out the link on the home page.

More Other news: Just to show off, I have found another 3x 1934 Crowns to pass on to my 1934 Crown buyer. I should also be getting another 1936 soon, which is also a pretty rare one.

And it's my birthday tuesday, I'll be 26, just in case anyone cares :unsure:

Congrats, Chris. I look forward with anticipation to hearing the broadcast, if you get it. Also, well done on the BNS - do you get that gorgeous centenary medal as a membership perk?

Well done Chris!! I am really looking forward to hearing the broadcast if you can get it for download. Happy Birthday for Tuesday as well :)

I don't think I get the medal unless I buy it, I get a silver medal in 25 years!

Thanks,

Happy birthday for tuesday Chris! I will be at Work Experiance so I will not be able to go on-line until about 7.00PM. Btw, have you still got that 1868 Cupro-Nickel proof half penny Chris? It is a really beautiful coin! :D

Happy birthday for tuesday Chris! I will be at Work Experiance so I will not be able to go on-line until about 7.00PM. Btw, have you still got that 1868 Cupro-Nickel proof half penny Chris? It is a really beautiful coin! :D

Yes I have the 1868 Cu Ni coin. I do have a chap nearby that has been umming and ahing about it for weeks, I think he may go for it and send it to Australia, but nothing is concrete yet.

How much are you selling it for? P.S: I saw the price tag!

Oh can i see a picture of that coin Chris? I always like non-copper, copper coins cos they just look odd in the white metals. (Well grey really if it CuNi)

It was up for £550 was it? I can't remeber. I'd take £450 for it. Picture below sylvester.

post-19-1088366093_thumb.jpg

Yes it was up for £550. If I had the money I would certainly buy it. The carbon spots on the reverse didn't look as severe as that when I looked at it, they actually looked a sort of coppery colour. Apart from that, it is a lovely proof.

Welcome back Chris, I was about to ask about where it says 'British Numismatic Society Member' in another post, but then i read it here.

Where did you manage to get the 1934 crowns then chris?...

that 1868 proof is lovely :)

oh yea...happy birthday chris :)

Edit: Typo!

Edited by Master Jmd

Where did you manage to get the 1934 crowns then chris?

One from Spink, one from a dealer I can't remember who, and yet to be confirmed is another in a recent auction that I bid very high on.

Wow that is a beaut! It just goes to show how much i really don't give copper coins the time of day, i never realised what a nice design it actually was, and it looks alot better in a grey metal.

If halfpennies were silver i'd collect them too! :D

Well that half penny has just been sold to me! Or rather my Dad for investment purposes! At lease I will get to keep it in my tray! :D

Well that half penny has just been sold to me! Or rather my Dad for investment purposes! At lease I will get to keep it in my tray! :D

Well, i wish that my parents would do something like that..lucky git ;)

My dad saw it at the coin fair. Just think, I will be able to see it every day!!!!!

My dad saw it at the coin fair. Just think, I will be able to see it every day!!!!!

Does your dad collect as-such?

No, purely for investment purposes. Me and Chris are his advisers.

If im not to late to say Happy birthday Chris :D

Those crowns :D who is selling them if anyone ??? most interested bit of a eye for them i do ......

You have to be very rich to persuade me to sell any 1934 Crowns that I might get!

I have a customer that buys them all off me, I have supplied (or am in the process of supplying him) 9, and I believe he has about 30 altogether.

:o Is he trying to monopolise the market on the things?

You have to be very rich to persuade me to sell any 1934 Crowns that I might get!

I have a customer that buys them all off me, I have supplied (or am in the process of supplying him) 9, and I believe he has about 30 altogether.

He must have a lot of loose cash. I guess it is a great investment for the future.

s about £50,000 at the most!!! :blink:

My client certainly has the required financial backing, and he wants to obtain at least 100 of them, with my help.

From an investment point of view it is a very sensible thing to do, cos the market is not going to subside on them (well not that much), and with each one he acquires and doesn't sell it'll slowly dry up the market and the prices will go up. I dare say some collectors have more than he does. If they do he better hope they don't drop them all on the market at the same time as the prices will drop... (although that means he'll consequently be able buy more at a time his investment will have depreciated).