British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
samantha pia

coin sets, how do you get info on them?

ok i have a 1953 coin set, in a sealed mint plastic holder, with the coin disigners names on it. it contains:

1x farthing

1x 1/2 penny

1x penny

1x 3 penny

1x 6 penny

2x one shilling, both diffrents back sides, (tails)

1x 2shilling

1x 1/2 crown

i also have a (britain's first decimal coins) set. in its blue plastic wallet with the 5 coins in the holder, and the the D-day guide in the wallet too.

how do you find out the cost of them, and where would the best place to get rid of them be?

thanx sam xox

I like it!

Straight to the point... :D

Well i don't think the 1953 one is an official one as the crown is missing (and i don't think they issued them without the crown), thus i dunno the value of that cos it would depend upon the grades of the coins.

The 1968/71 decimal set though i bought one of these last summer from a market for a whole of £1 so there you go. You might get £2 for i if you're having a good day.

I dunno about the other one though.

i guess it has to be a good one, as it has "obverse design by mrs m gillick" and so on on it,

i guess the 1910 shilling is worthless too huh, and the 1937 sixpence, and the 1937 3pence too huh, oh well not to worry,

thanx anyway sam xox

what condition is that 1910 shilling in?

it looks the same as the one on the pic on the site here, about the same as that to look at.

sam xox

It will probably be worth about the same amount as the one on predecimal.com then, if you're correct with the condition. Can you post a pic?

also a

1937 half crown,

3x 1960 5 shillings,

1x 1977 5 shilling jubilee,

1x 1953 5 shillings in its case

1x 1986 brass £2 scottish commonwealth games

and thats it,

sam xox

it looks the same as the one on the pic on the site here, about the same as that to look at.

sam xox

Well if it looks like this one...

http://www.predecimal.com/forsale/es/shilling1910.jpg

The i think you've got a good coin.

The 1953 coins may indeed be worth something but only if they are high grade examples that look absolutely brand new (like they were minted this morning) and have not been cleaned. Whether they are in a set or not is coincidental as it's an unofficial one. (There are many unofficial ones of all years, doesn't mean they aren't worth anything though).

The 1937 stuff likewise would have to be in top condition to be worth a great deal, which i'm afraid is the story of most coins since 1911. (Or even 1887 if it comes to that, with a few notable exceptions).

I'm not being funny or anything but i've answered quite a few of these where people have said coins are in good condition (too right they were, 'good' in a numismatic sense = terrible, worn, polished etc).

High grading coins in Good Very Fine and higher are where the money is, which translates to a coin that has seen limited wear, has alot of detail remaining in the hair on the heads side of the coin and hopefully original lustre and is totally problem free.

If you can figure out a way of posting pictures i can give you accurate quotes for whatever coins you want valuing.

But from experience of doing this before, i must stress don't expect them to be worth a fortune as alas they usually aren't.

also a

1937 half crown,

3x 1960 5 shillings,

1x 1977 5 shilling jubilee,

1x 1953 5 shillings in its case

1x 1986 brass £2 scottish commonwealth games

and thats it,

sam xox

1937 2/6d is condition dependent.

The 1960 5/- likewise... they are common but not as common as most of the crowns.

1977 25p or 5 shilling in old money, is worth 25p... i'm afraid these things were minted in the millions for the Silver Jubilee i had a few knocking around, i really should take them to the bank.

1953 will be worth a few pounds, anything upto £5 or £6 if in top condition.

The 1986 is worth £2... actually you can technically spend those. If it looks brand new and has a case or something it might be worth anything upto £5.

pics hmmm i am blonde this week, so lets see if i can figure out how to post pics, i only have a scanner, so they are not good ones. head_1910.jpg

shilling_1910.jpg

here goes, not a good shilling then,

sam xox

Ok, one of those hasn't worked...

Edited by william

Open their properties and paste the link into your browser.

Right the 1953 ones aren't bad actually! Quite good the usual weak strike for the 1953 issue...

(for everyone else... see here)

http://asksam2.tripod.com/Scan0002.jpg

I'll have to figure that 1953 average price out by going through the catalogue and adding them all up...

The shilling is a bit dark to see but it is lower grade than the ones Chris has for sale on here. My grading skills on Edward VII coins are not fantastic, so i'll let Oli or someone figure that one out...

Needless to say the shilling does have it's silver value though cos it's a pre-1920 coin which means it's sterling silver (92.5% silver).

Coins from 1920-1946 are 50% silver so are worth less than the earlier ones in the lower grades but will always have some metal value unlike the coppernickel post 1947 issues.

I make it about £27 based on the values my catalogue quotes.

Those are however the higher end dealer selling prices, the dealer buying prices are lower possibly only £17 or so, £20 on a very good day.

thats just the 1953 set? the 1937 3 penny and 1937 6 penny are 50% silver then? and not worth anything? thanx for your help. you have been so sweet, where can i get rid of them?

samantha xox

Hang on a moment, 2 points....

The 1953 Set is an official set (they had 9 coins and not the Crown) and I sell them for around £20 if there are no rips and minimal toning on the coins.

Nevermind all the rest, is that actually a picture of you Sam? My avatar is really me too ;);)

yes its a pic of me, though you look like you got longer hair than me, am i the only female on here? :o

yes its a pic of me, though you look like you got longer hair than me, am i the only female on here? :o

You're certainly the prettiest female on here, so watch out for all these young men that frequent this place!

(especially me :ph34r: )

thats just the 1953 set? the 1937 3 penny and 1937 6 penny are 50% silver then? and not worth anything? thanx for your help. you have been so sweet, where can i get rid of them?

samantha xox

i didn't say they weren't worth anything, i just meant they are silver if all else should happen to fail... not that it did. :D

thanx, but i can look after myself just fine, i need to get to know guy very well before i trust them. its something to do with my past, i know not all guys are like that, but how can you tell until its to late, sam xox

Hang on a moment, 2 points....

The 1953 Set is an official set (they had 9 coins and not the Crown) and I sell them for around £20 if there are no rips and minimal toning on the coins.

Nevermind all the rest, is that actually a picture of you Sam? My avatar is really me too ;);)

Ah the Coincraft didn't state... oh hang on a minute...

bugger i would be looking in the wrong section, yes apparently they do exist... well blow my theory Chris! :D

I'm afraid modern coins aren't really my area so i'm swimming a bit out of my depth here.

i just have to get rid of them for a friend, he got them from a friend that died, and its what was left of the stuff no-one wants,

sam xox

thanx, but i can look after myself just fine, i need to get to know guy very well before i trust them. its something to do with my past, i know not all guys are like that, but how can you tell until its to late, sam xox

Good for you! :D