British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lisa

Cleaning coins

Guest Lisa

My family bought Roman coins over the internet. They are so coated that they are completly unreadable. Only the largest ones have an outline of a head under the black. The dealer said to use soap and water a few times and to scrub ith a soft toothbrush. Now I am seeing to just wash off the dirt, but it is not coming off at all. Is there a way to get the black off or are these coins unsaveable? Lisa

There is a way of removing encrustation with these coins, i think olive oil is a good way...

http://www.cbnoble.com/clean.htm

Can't remember whether acetone helps or not though, but i know it is used to remove finger prints, might not be too good with encrusted coins.

Vaseline is supposed to be a good one if used with a swab, see here... (it's in there somewhere)

http://www.phantomranch.net/prospect/coins_cl.htm

I think your best bet is olive oil, soak them for a decent period, it can take weeks or months, the main thing is once you have it free from the dirt, wash gently with distilled water (which can be purchased easily from any chemist), and when drying do not rub the coin's surface if you can help it... always tap it dry on a soft cloth, very gently.

Hopefully the olive oil will work. Don't try vinegar under any circumstances...

Also pay no attention to the 'don't clean coins bit on the second link' when it come to encrusted ancients you don't have much choice. Plus most ancients have seen some cleaning at some point or other.

Modern coins (well in comparison to ancients) on the other hand (interpret that as year 1000 and after should never be cleaned unless stricty necessary, and those dated after 1662 not at all)

Guest Lisa

Thank you very much. I will work on the olive oil idea. At least we have some hope! :)