British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sylvester

Verdigris...

Fior those that want to know what to look for, here is a coin that has just gone past the earliest stages of verdigris... (i'll be removing it shortly, both the picture and the verdigris).

Can you see it?

post-19-1088197979_thumb.jpg

oh by the way Oli this post wasn't meant to be rubbing it in, but was for the benefit of another member...

Oh no, I didn't interpret it like that at all. If people can spot verdi gris early, that's good. I reckon that it's starting on the right wing of the eagle and above it in the dip created by the wing.

Thanks Sylvester! I think that I have just got a few carbon spots, little devils! Btw, how can you remove verdigris?

Edited by Half Penny Jon

I think it's nigh-on impossible to remove verdi gris from coins but if anyone knows, please share! i've tried soaking one of mine (19sixtysomething 3d) in nail polish remover (acetone) but it doesn't seem to lift it.

Well abopve the right wing is one place i'm definately watching, but if you look above the R in QUARTER...

If caught early enough it can be removed by a gentle scratch with a fingernail, but be careful cos you can scratch the coin... but of course if you leave it then it'll just ruin the coin further, so it's a no win situation. A small scratch near a spot or a bverdigris encrusted coin.

The best method is prevention...

As i can figure it out...

CO2 + H2O + Cu = CuCO3 + H2

So eliminate the Carbon dioxide or the vater vapour and verdigris shouldn't form... So don't breath on you coins, a houseplant would (should), be a good thing to have as it will remove CO2 from the atmosphere...

Then the only thing you have to worry about is carbon spots, or copper oxide (yes those little brownish black spots)... which is just as bad to be honest as it's corrosion all the same.

But then again so is toning on silver coins...

would there be any way of removing the oxygen from coin capsuals?

Unless you could get a vacuum pump to somehow suck the air out or find a chemical to turn oxygen into something relatively inert like xenon, then no.

Probably, i think the best way of sealing a coin in to a capsule would be in a laboratory...

If the coin and capsule was placed in a gas chamber, and the oxygen was removed and was replaced by a noble gas like helium or argon then the coin could be put in the capsule and it would be oxygen free and since helium etc. are inert then no further reactions should be possible.

I haven't got a periodic table on me but any gasses in the same group as helium, so neon, argon, krypton, xenon, should all be okay... i'd stay away from radon though as it's radioactive... :D

I'm sure helium is the best bet all round it is probably ascertainable cos they use it for balloons at parties.

Probably, i think the best way of sealing a coin in to a capsule would be in a laboratory...

I will have to make do with my warm-ish bedroom.

This morning I suddenly remembered that I had put away two years ago a small selection of predecimal circulated coins mostly Elizabeth II and George VI. Anyway, I remember that when I put them away one of the coins (a rather worn 1893 penny) had a few spots of verdigris on it. Two years ago I was unaware of verdigris and it's effects.

When I opened the jar this morning, I found that the coin that my 1893 penny was all virtually green, and about 50 other bronze coins had been coated in the crusty green slime! Just shows how easily it can spread to loads of coins from just a few minor spots.

When I opened the jar this morning, I found that the coin that my 1893 penny was all virtually green, and about 50 other bronze coins had been coated in the crusty green slime! Just shows how easily it can spread to loads of coins from just a few minor spots.

Exactly... the stuff spreads and it's very unforgiving. One spot and away you go. Obviously wherever you had put them has exactly the right conditions for verdigris to form and spread.

Hang on it wasn't a plastic jar was it...? you mentioned slime (that's not just verdigris i'm thinking).

It was an old glass coffee jar which was quite humid methinks.

There is no way to remove the full-blown kind of verdigris (the crusty green stuff) without actually harming your coins. However, I have discovered that you can use WHITE SPIRIT to remove the waxy green colour which is the precursor to verdigris (just wash the coin gently with soapy water after). I hope this helps some of us solve our verdigris problems. So basically check your coins on a regular basis and if they have the precursor to verdigris, it can be taken straight off! At last a solution which will not harm our coins! :P

Edited by Half Penny Jon

I have been known to wash waxy bronze/copper it soap and water too but I always fear that the action of getting them wet may do harm! I suppose that probably isn't the case if they are dried properly.

I have been known to wash waxy bronze/copper it soap and water too but I always fear that the action of getting them wet may do harm! I suppose that probably isn't the case if they are dried properly.

I wonder if Acetone is better?

Wash them with that... then rinse them with distilled water (you can get that from the chemists), then after that pat them dry on a soft cloth, don't rub.