British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

impgreene

Unidentified 1799 coin with AVR strikes on reverse

Whilst sorting through my belongings I came across my childhood coin collection that had lain untouched for 20 years.

One coin (pictured below) has ‘AVR’ strikes on two places on the reverse.

I was wondering if anyone knew;

1. what the coin is?

2. what the ‘AVR’ strikes are / represent?

2. what the value would be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

post-7001-051330300 1319300871_thumb.jpgpost-7001-099803400 1319300883_thumb.jpg

Whilst sorting through my belongings I came across my childhood coin collection that had lain untouched for 20 years.

One coin (pictured below) has ‘AVR’ strikes on two places on the reverse.

I was wondering if anyone knew;

1. what the coin is?

2. what the ‘AVR’ strikes are / represent?

2. what the value would be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

post-7001-051330300 1319300871_thumb.jpgpost-7001-099803400 1319300883_thumb.jpg

It's a one-year type halfpenny 1799. The AVR would probably just be graffiti. The coin is in respectable condition VF or better, but not worth a great deal with the graffiti.

No worries, the graffiti probably explains how I managed to afford it as a child!

Still, some 19th century graffiti is cool in its own way!

Thanks again.

No worries, the graffiti probably explains how I managed to afford it as a child!

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Here's one on eBay that someone is asking forty quid for : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1799-George-111-Halfpenny-AEF-SN1422-/230598523295?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item35b0be399f#ht_3811wt_915 It's comparable to yours but probably a fraction less wear, and no graffiti. (Just in case you wanted to see one in reasonable shape).

Thanks again.

The graffiti could of been done anytime from the day it was minted until today.

The worst thing about it is that it reduces the numismatic value to zero.