British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

impgreene

Help with identifying 1787 coin

Whilst sorting through my belongings I came across my childhood coin collection that had lain untouched for 20 years.

One coin in the collection is pictured below, but as I collected the coins as a child and couldn't afford many older coins I don't really know what it is.

I was wondering if anyone knew;

1. what the coin is?

2. what the value would be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

post-7001-091749400 1319297400_thumb.jpgpost-7001-047680000 1319297415_thumb.jpg

its a shilling i think

Or possibly a sixpence... from a design point of view the two coins are virtually identical. Without knowing the size, I'd go with shilling. Unfortunately both are among the most common coins of the 18th century being minted way beyond their dated year. This isn't a bad coin, in my view falling just short of VF but don't look forward to retiring on its retail value!

Thanks for the help - don't worry, I'm not looking for retirement, my questions are really just for interest as I don't think I could be bothered with the hassle of selling them (also, as I bought them with my pocket money as a child I'm not expecting too much!).

Thanks again.