British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

petitioncrown

A love of Impossible reality, excited, an incredible a dream

1950 double florin pattern

Now I get it, it's your birthday present. Happy birthday and well done the person who chose it for you.

:D:D

sadly i didnt get it but thanks for birthday wishes.......ski

Oh, and if we're talking impossible dreams, one of mine is not finding new coins to buy.

Instead I'd be satisfied with a time machine which would return some of my coins to how they were when first issued; before someone clipped the edges off, carried them around in a bucket of sand and folded them in half!

Alternatively I'd like it to take me back - so I could pick coins I most like out of my change, like my Dad used to. Somewhere between 1640 and 1660 would probably do. I'd find a money changer and swap some gold for a few hours looking through all the shillings! *drool*

(I can't believe I'm having wet dreams over coins!)

Or a £5 bank bag of mixed bronze that has been sitting in the back of a safe since the mid 1880s would suit me, hours if sorting!

Edited by davidrj

I sometimes think a collection of money of necessity/notgeld etc would be most interesting!

Now that's a good idea! You could start really cheaply with Weimar hyperinflation notes, or even Zimbabwe. Gun money - that would count. You could make up your own rules with that theme.

Oh, and if we're talking impossible dreams, one of mine is not finding new coins to buy.

Instead I'd be satisfied with a time machine which would return some of my coins to how they were when first issued; before someone clipped the edges off, carried them around in a bucket of sand and folded them in half!

Alternatively I'd like it to take me back - so I could pick coins I most like out of my change, like my Dad used to. Somewhere between 1640 and 1660 would probably do. I'd find a money changer and swap some gold for a few hours looking through all the shillings! *drool*

Or a £5 bank bag of mixed bronze that has been sitting in the back of a safe since the mid 1880s would suit me, hours if sorting!

That would be one of those amazing once in a lifetime, never to be repeated moments, that rarely happen B)

That would be one of those amazing once in a lifetime, never to be repeated moments, that rarely happen B)

At £5 face, it would still have minimal numbers of rarities (probably), and still be missing some of the rarer types. Also, even by the 1880s there would have been significant wear from circulation, so it's unlikely you would have picked up many desirable pieces.

The prospect of 1200nr Bun pennies with 0-25 years circulation would keep me happy for a few hours (2400 1/2d's or 4800 1/4d's). :)

No disrespect to classic early coins but....I would get the dining room table extended...lock the door and enjoy. B)

At £5 face, it would still have minimal numbers of rarities (probably), and still be missing some of the rarer types. Also, even by the 1880s there would have been significant wear from circulation, so it's unlikely you would have picked up many desirable pieces.

Ah well..........fantasy meets reality. Even so, I'd bet that with probably nearly 500 pennies, say, one could glean some pretty good ~ and scarce ~ stuff.

The prospect of 1200nr Bun pennies with 0-25 years circulation would keep me happy for a few hours (2400 1/2d's or 4800 1/4d's). :)

No disrespect to classic early coins but....I would get the dining room table extended...lock the door and enjoy. B)

Me too ~ a truly mouth watering prospect :P

Well, last night I sat down again and took another look at my little collection, with a few auction catalogues to compare my coins against and ended up thinking that perhaps I hadn't done quite so badly as I occasionally feel! But I was reminded of this little gem.

post-129-001433500 1319798827_thumb.jpg

Now as I think I've mentioned before, I'm not a lover of numismatic perfection. I like my coins to have a bit of character - to look as if they were made to circulate and I have no problems if it shows that they have. So this to me is the best I could aim for. It's certainly the best example I've seen. And I'd not say no if I were offered it, though it might make a few of my other coins look rather .. poorer! In fact I'd be pleased to pick out a number of coins from that collection (Martin Hughes'), he had a very good eye for a nice coin!

Well, last night I sat down again and took another look at my little collection, with a few auction catalogues to compare my coins against and ended up thinking that perhaps I hadn't done quite so badly as I occasionally feel! But I was reminded of this little gem.

Now as I think I've mentioned before, I'm not a lover of numismatic perfection. I like my coins to have a bit of character - to look as if they were made to circulate and I have no problems if it shows that they have. So this to me is the best I could aim for. It's certainly the best example I've seen. And I'd not say no if I were offered it, though it might make a few of my other coins look rather .. poorer! In fact I'd be pleased to pick out a number of coins from that collection (Martin Hughes'), he had a very good eye for a nice coin!

Allan Davisson had a reasonable example of this in his last sale, though short of the Hughes coin. Sceptre shillings on a full flan and struck up well, particularly the last type are not so easy to acquire.

post-381-098054500 1319800424_thumb.jpg

THAT IS ONE GREAT MM SCEPTER COIN - WAITING FOR IT TO ARRIVE IN THE POST HMMMMMMMM

Allan Davisson had a reasonable example of this in his last sale, though short of the Hughes coin. Sceptre shillings on a full flan and struck up well, particularly the last type are not so easy to acquire.

Indeed, and Spink's sale in March (1236, Lot 128) was also pretty decent. I guess I just started thinking what a shame I wasn't collecting at the time of the sale (a thought that possibly occurs to us all at some point!), though whether at the time I'd have paid the Hughes price ... not so sure!

btw Rob, I don't suppose you have any intel on the Shuttlewood sale? I'm curious about HS0329 (Shilling type 4.4 m.m. ® Untidy strike on squarish flan)) Sadly not illustrated, so unless someone has a coin with the Spink tickets may be impossible to track .. just I have a coin that is on a squarish flan ... (Yeah, I know, very ebay: assuming one's bog standard piece of junk just has to be that coin from that collection, but yanno .. one can hope!)

I'm no expert on that period and reign at all. But what is that piece? Just from the illustration it looks like a hybrid between late hammered and very early milled. But of course it can't be - it must be one thing or the other.

I'm no expert on that period and reign at all. But what is that piece? Just from the illustration it looks like a hybrid between late hammered and very early milled. But of course it can't be - it must be one thing or the other.

The last issue of Charles I Tower mint shillings with mm. sceptre which according to the notes on p.xxii in Brooker ran from 15/2/1647 until 9/11/1649. Choose your own four letter adjective for the typical quality of mint output at this point in time. Any round sceptre coin with full, well struck detail is desirable.

Ah, that Sir, is an example of what the coiners at the Mint were capable of, if they took care over hammering a coin!

Of course, it's been fortunate in starting it's life as a decent circular flan (most weren't towards the end of Charles' reign and it has to be assumed that quality control at the Mint just got forgotten) It also clearly never came near anyone tempted to clip it. And having never hammered a coin myself, I wonder if a bit of luck didn't come into the fact that the dies were nicely aligned to give a central strike on both sides. But those are the factors that make it a rarity. Less so for the number produced than for the fact that, as Rob says, most of the output was crap to start with and time has not then improved them at all!

Ah, that Sir, is an example of what the coiners at the Mint were capable of, if they took care over hammering a coin!

Of course, it's been fortunate in starting it's life as a decent circular flan (most weren't towards the end of Charles' reign and it has to be assumed that quality control at the Mint just got forgotten) It also clearly never came near anyone tempted to clip it. And having never hammered a coin myself, I wonder if a bit of luck didn't come into the fact that the dies were nicely aligned to give a central strike on both sides. But those are the factors that make it a rarity. Less so for the number produced than for the fact that, as Rob says, most of the output was crap to start with and time has not then improved them at all!

NOT IN THE CIRCULATION REPORT ! :D FARTHING 1718

1718-FARTHING-COPPER.jpg

NOT IN THE CIRCULATION REPORT ! :D FARTHING 1718

1718-FARTHING-COPPER.jpg

VERY nice! A pattern 'Dump' farthing? I've never understood why the Dump farthings were neglected when there were clearly a good issue of halfpennies. You'd think in those days that both denominations were equally in demand for small change. It would be like issuing all the 2p pieces in 1971 but asking people to survive on a small issue of pennies for a couple of years.

i love that design

would have to be some gold nobles, or newark siege shillings for me

I quite fancy something that isn't really a coin. Well, it is, in that it's a gold Angel, however I'd like one that has been pierced as a touchpiece. I also collect amulets, talismans and religious medallions too, you see.

Here's a rather nice example off Antony Wilson's site. Though a silver one would be nice also!

MD208X2.jpg

I quite fancy something that isn't really a coin. Well, it is, in that it's a gold Angel, however I'd like one that has been pierced as a touchpiece. I also collect amulets, talismans and religious medallions too, you see.

Here's a rather nice example off Antony Wilson's site. Though a silver one would be nice also!

MD208X2.jpg

I hear you, Richard. I'd love one of those in my collection.

Or you could stumble on an unassuming wooden box like this one (nb the video link doesn't work properly)

rolleyes.gif

David

Or you could stumble on an unassuming wooden box like this one (nb the video link doesn't work properly)

rolleyes.gif

David

Worked ok for me - it's an ABC News report of American detectorists waving their squeaking sticks over English fields. (You didn't miss much, unlike them).

Hi

amulets, talismans and religious medallions interested to see photos, anytging very eary 1-3rc Cent.

Jeff

MD208X2.jpg

I hear you, Richard. I'd love one of those in my collection.

Hi

amulets, talismans and religious medallions interested to see photos, anytging very eary 1-3rc Cent.

Jeff

I've only modern stuff I'm afraid Jeff. Just 'tat' I've picked up in travels for nothing (such as the 'Cuthbert's beads; fossil crinoids picked up on the beach of Lindisfarne and made into a bracelet) or a few quid like this mati or evil eye charm from a small shop in Athens:

post-129-072026400 1325508532_thumb.jpg