British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

petitioncrown

"No BRAINER" + Grade this MOTTLY, BENT, SPLIT, WORN, BASHED, L

Hi all

The creation of a collection of copper, bronze or brass coins in high grade is extremely difficult. Coins from the ancient Greek, Roman to our everyday bonze coins with a natural patina without being tampered with is rare.

1694-halfpeny-proof.jpg

1694 Half-Penny Proof

COINS ARE HISTORY -

Technology today allows us to communicate our research, interesting detail, thoughts, ideas, and digital pictures.

;)

0379unique.jpg

is it possible to grade ?

:blink:

post-969-088415300 1319157113_thumb.jpg

;)

is it possible to grade ?

:blink:

Dire, but as Hobson's Coice - desirable.

Fair but bent and cracked. Is it the (now called) Ashby Groat. ?...Its Ebay Very Fine, many dealers would call it fine as they try and put up the grade on rarer items. Even the large auction house will call it poor one day ,fair another day , and fine for issue on another day , but I think " Fair " is its proper grade .

Fair but bent and cracked. Is it the (now called) Ashby Groat. ?...Its Ebay Very Fine, many dealers would call it fine as they try and put up the grade on rarer items. Even the large auction house will call it poor one day ,fair another day , and fine for issue on another day , but I think " Fair " is its proper grade .

I find it nigh on impossible to grade these hammered coins and tend to fall back on longhand descriptions. If it were a milled coin it would be worse than Fair as some of the legend is unreadable but that's commonplace on hammered stuff even in otherwise higher grade coins. I have a feeling that hammered pieces have become more popular in recent years, in my view largely as a result of internet images being available obviating the need to describe or use grading terms. Buying them off of a dealer's list was often a shot in the dark.

In the hands of certain ebay sellers, probably AUNC :lol:

I would add clipped.

F+ in parts.

How about rare coin in a common grade?

I find it nigh on impossible to grade these hammered coins and tend to fall back on longhand descriptions. If it were a milled coin it would be worse than Fair as some of the legend is unreadable but that's commonplace on hammered stuff even in otherwise higher grade coins. I have a feeling that hammered pieces have become more popular in recent years, in my view largely as a result of internet images being available obviating the need to describe or use grading terms. Buying them off of a dealer's list was often a shot in the dark.

I agree it is so hard to grade coins...is an off centred as struck as nice or desirable as a worn centred?

I have problems with the "Ashby" attribution. Lots of things don't add up when taken as part of the A & B mint scenario hypothesised by Boon.

Oh, it's possible Geoff. Whether the grade is significant in this case ... that's another matter.

I tend to use the 'old' style descriptions. Spink for example call Fine as "Showing quite a lot of wear but still with design and legends distinguishable". Doyle & Finn "a worn coin: most of the detail of the design will have worn away or be fading, nevertheless the main features will still be quite bold and clear"

So Fine seems about right to me. But sometimes the actual grade is rather less important than the question of whether you will ever find a better one, isn't it?

cgs would probably grade it #1 in population report, finest weve ever seen. :D:D:D

if you like it buy it!!.

cgs would probably grade it #1 in population report, finest weve ever seen. :D:D:D

if you like it buy it!!.

He has.

that is simple, grade this

977012.jpg

and i have hammered coins in worse then that, but still, i would love that one.

that is simple, grade this

977012.jpg

and i have hammered coins in worse then that, but still, i would love that one.

That's AHorrible+ / NHorrible :P