British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Joe Mc

1993 Planchet Error Round 20p

Hi,

My name is Joe, I am new to the forum.

I am mainly a Medal collector, mostly WW1 as I love the research too, I have actually reunited some with the recipients Grandchildren etc who thought they were long gone. I do however have a soft spot for British an U.S currency and sometimes I get coins through 'job lot's' of medals I buy.

Today I got this 20p and I nearly gave it back to the seller as I thought it was 'just a 20p' but the error was pointed out.

I have a few questions and any help would be much appreciated.

1) How many of these are likely to be in existance? I know that is next to impossible to know but a 'guesstimate' would be great.

2) What is the approximate value? This won't be for sale either way, as I love the unusual and exotic but always nice to know.

I appreciate you time, pics to follow. On the subjet of picture, sorry about the quality. We have just moved house and we are yet to unpack the camera!

Welcome to the forum and a nice little error you have there!

Values for these are always quite difficult, but an error collector who didnt have one might part with as much as a tenner... as to how many there are, I have two or three so not exactly rare - a nice curio if nothing else!

Values for these are always quite difficult, but an error collector who didnt have one might part with as much as a tenner... as to how many there are, I have two or three so not exactly rare - a nice curio if nothing else!

Thanks for the input :)

I've put this on ebay at 99p no reserve so it will go to the highest beidder on there, On reflection it doesn't really fit in with my collection so it might as well go to somebody who will apprecitate it.

I've put this on ebay at 99p no reserve so it will go to the highest beidder on there, On reflection it doesn't really fit in with my collection so it might as well go to somebody who will apprecitate it.

Best way and good luck.

BTW lowest reserve is £50 isn't it?...how many times do you see a coin worth about £30 which you quite fancy and is at £10...then you see the word reserve...Aggg.

Best way and good luck.

BTW lowest reserve is £50 isn't it?...how many times do you see a coin worth about £30 which you quite fancy and is at £10...then you see the word reserve...Aggg.

Yes, and too many!

Works the other way as well though... as a seller, I always state in the description 'sensible reserve' or words to that effect, yet people still bid £1.24! Why?! I'm hardly going to 2nd chance offer you at that price!

Best way and good luck.

Yes, and too many!

Works the other way as well though... as a seller, I always state in the description 'sensible reserve' or words to that effect, yet people still bid £1.24! Why?! I'm hardly going to 2nd chance offer you at that price!

I've got some junk from bulk lots that I would happily exchange for £1.24...

Best way and good luck.

I'm with you there, I hate reserves for low value items. A lot of people have this weird infliction where they think their item is worth a fortune.

Lately at car boots, I have seen people sellin ASC Victory medals for £30+. I just laugh as the true value is £8-10. People need to learn that old doesnt = valuable, I'm sure roman coin collector will understand. I went metal detecting as a child and found about 15 roman coins, wow must be worth a fortune! Total value 75p haha :)

Best way and good luck.

Yes, and too many!

I've got some junk from bulk lots that I would happily exchange for £1.24...

If anybody offes £1.24 for my vast array of 'commemorative crowns' I would take it and run! :)

i have something like 700 crap one pennies i dont know what to do with lol, i may just weigh them in

Always very interesting to see these error coins. Ironically enough they'd be worth more, if a larger batch had been produced. Like the 2008 20p's with no date.

Always very interesting to see these error coins. Ironically enough they'd be worth more, if a larger batch had been produced. Like the 2008 20p's with no date.

I'm not sure? One's a striking error, the other is a design error. In my eyes, the two things are worlds apart (from a personal 'desirability' point of view).

I'm not sure? One's a striking error, the other is a design error. In my eyes, the two things are worlds apart (from a personal 'desirability' point of view).

Possibly ~ that one could be up for debate. I'm honestly not sure.

I'm only speaking personally. To me a misstrike is a unique curio, no more interesting or valuable than that. Whereas a design error (or die error) is to me very desirable, such as the 1923 florin with the early portrait, or 1946 mint dot penny, or 1944 penny with lustre, or any lettering error, that kind of thing, as there are going to be several examples in various states of preservation, a collectors market for them, plus they feature in numismatic publications and folklore.

I'm only speaking personally. To me a misstrike is a unique curio, no more interesting or valuable than that. Whereas a design error (or die error) is to me very desirable, such as the 1923 florin with the early portrait, or 1946 mint dot penny, or 1944 penny with lustre, or any lettering error, that kind of thing, as there are going to be several examples in various states of preservation, a collectors market for them, plus they feature in numismatic publications and folklore.

Surely the 1946 ONE' flaw and an untoned 1944 cannot be considered design errors, or have I misunderstood you? They are striking errors, as the error occurred through faulty production rather than the (intentional) alteration of the die by a 'designer'. I would suggest that the 1903 'open 3' is a design 'error' and collectible, whereas the 1946 ONE' flaw is a striking error and no more than a curio.

A more satisfactory categorisation might be:

1) A one off striking error (as with the coin originally posted here)

2) A repeated striking error (as with the 1946 ONE' flaw) and any die crack or disintegration

3) A design 'error' (as with the the undated 20p or 1903 'open 3')

Personally I shouldn't generally collect 1) or 2) other than for a sense of completeness when they are listed in reference works. So yes, ok, I admit to collecting the main 2) varieties :D

Edited by Accumulator

Surely the 1946 ONE' flaw and an untoned 1944 cannot be considered design errors, or have I misunderstood you? They are striking errors, as the error occurred through faulty production rather than the (intentional) alteration of the die by a 'designer'. I would suggest that the 1903 'open 3' is a design 'error' and collectible, whereas the 1946 ONE' flaw is a striking error and no more than a curio.

A more satisfactory categorisation might be:

1) A one off striking error (as with the coin originally posted here)

2) A repeated striking error (as with the 1946 ONE' flaw) and any die crack or disintegration

3) A design 'error' (as with the the undated 20p or 1903 'open 3')

Personally I shouldn't generally collect 1) or 2) other than for a sense of completeness when they are listed in reference works. So yes, ok, I admit to collecting the main 2) varieties :D

The 1946 I would class as a die error (broken) which I allowed for. The 1944 pennies with lustre are I suppose a case on their own, but I wouldn't class them as misstrikes as they were simply given the treatment that halfpennies and farthings got, instead of the hypo bath which wasn't a normal thing. The point with all of those is that there are plenty of examples, and that sets them apart from misstrikes which are curiosities and usually unique and therefore unmarketable. The exception being brockages perhaps, which have a collector's group of their own.

Guest Brad

Hi, new to this and come across this 20p any information please and don’t know to much in regards to errors, as clearly see colour differences?

thanks

820B6579-2DCE-4414-86B7-5C228D217394.jpeg

6A58AA8F-BED8-4123-BEE3-60E62FCD6793.jpeg

751662EA-1571-4EB7-98AF-C8F0EFC207EE.jpeg

19870D7A-8198-4445-8C2F-4AFB40E5AF08.jpeg

It does appear from the big difference in colour (picture 3) that it's been struck on the wrong planchet.

I would say it's a curio worth keeping, but there are collectors for such things. A letter from the Mint confirming it's a genuine 20p but struck on the wrong blank, would help a lot if you decided to risk it on eBay.

Actually my new theory on the coppery coloured 20p's (they seem to occur a lot more for the 20p than any other current denomination) is improper annealing causing the atoms to migrate. First proposed in the USA by Mr Diamond, who really knows error coins. More info here:

http://www.error-ref.com/improper-annealing/

These days the RM also charge £20 to look at coins, so no longer worth doing for minor things like this.

• Like 1