British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest F. Jones

Double headed 10p. 1992

Guest F. Jones

I have a 10p. coin with the queens head on either side of the coin (1992). Is it of any value ?????

hmm, thats a new one...i have no idea on the value of it, but i would keep it for a few years if i were you...what condition is it in?

Edited by Master Jmd

Well there's really two things this could be

1) Joke piece

This means that the coin is really just two coins stuck together. If it's an amateur job, the coin will obviously be double the weight/thickness as it will just be two glued together. A higher class of joke toy has one 10p ground away in the middle with a very thin rim left and the other ground down to just fit inside it, so no change in thickness or weight is noticed. If it is this, it isn't worth much

2) Proper minting error

This is caused by the coin going through the dies twice. I don't really have any idea how much it's worth, but it will definitely be more than 10p - probably more around £10?! I am just guessing here.

It is called a BROCKAGE (the same design on each side). It will certainly be worth at least £10 today but will certainly go up in value in time. There have been brockage examples all through the milled coinage, but they are usually quite rare.

Edited by Half Penny Jon

I dont know about the 10 pence version but i have a George VI penny like it which ive held on to anyone got an idea of who much that would be worth if anything ?? So hold on to it unless you find out its one of those joke ones :)

Brockage coins are worth quite a lot because they are usually rare. I would say your George VI brockage would be worth £20-£30 in VF and about £50 in EF.

It is called a BROCKAGE (the same design on each side). It will certainly be worth at least £10 today but will certainly go up in value in time. There have been brockage examples all through the milled coinage, but they are usually quite rare.

A true brockage surely is where the coin stays in the die and one side is therefore struck twice as both an obverse and reverse. That's slightly different from a double obverse/reverse.

• Like 1

Two headed or two tailed coins are common - they are magicians coins. The coins are manufactured and sold by novelty companies all over the world.

However - there are a few, very few - genuine examples. I know of only 3 examples that have been authenticated in the entire history of US coinage. In world coinage though - genuine examples are a little more common. The last I heard there are about 30 known examples worldwide. They are considered quite valuable.

This is likely to be a magicians coin then isn't it? Is there any way of telling which is which?

The penny i have has George VI head on both sides but you have to rotate the coin on its axis as they are struck in oposite directions and it seems to a have a nice colour to it as well almost toned in a way ??? if i can get my digi cam to work i may try to post a pic of it :)

This is likely to be a magicians coin then isn't it? Is there any way of telling which is which?

Yes - easily. Examine the coin with a good loupe - you should be able to see a joint where two halves are placed together. This is usually found just at the inside edge of the rim. Under magnification it should be obvious.

Cool. Do you think F Jones will ever be back?

Probably, the people who ask questions usually come back sooner or later.

It really makes me annoyed when they don't come back though.

Guest Stuart

I have a double headed 10p but on one side it's 1992 and other is 1997 .Could it be worth much .can anyone tell me please

It'll almost certainly be a cut 'n' shut - two coins skimmed down on the tails side and stuck together to make a trick coin. You might see a seam along the edge.

Likely so. Or occasionally one side is milled out just inside the rim, and then another coin milled down to fit in the space & then joined together so the seam is just inside the rim rather than on the edge. The earlier posts on this were not so good. Values tend to be quite a bit higher for the real thing.