British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

1926 Penny ME?

Just wondering, i remember the thread here a few months back and the indicator was the thumb of Britt was straight on the shield and not pointing downwards. Any takers?

1926PennyRev.jpg

Bigger picture hopefully

1926PennyRev.jpg

Edited by azda

Just wondering, i remember the thread here a few months back and the indicator was the thumb of Britt was straight on the shield and not pointing downwards. Any takers?

1927 to 1936 reverse has the shorter thumb (as does the "1927" 1922)

Long thumb, almost touching St george's cross is the norm for 1911 to 1926

:)

David

David

Thanks David

GVthumbs.jpg

Nb the 1922 (type 1927) reverse appears to have a shorter index finger too (from the 3 coins i can find illustrated)

David

Edited by davidrj

GVthumbs.jpg

Nb the 1922 (type 1927) reverse appears to have a shorter index finger too (from the 3 coins i can find illustrated)

David

The significantly longer teeth are the main giveaway. (Which makes Britannia seem even smaller, though actually she IS a wee bit smaller).

The significantly longer teeth are the main giveaway. (Which makes Britannia seem even smaller, though actually she IS a wee bit smaller).

Like the ME obverse, it's another one of those that with a little bit of experience you can recognise in an instant. There are obviously pointers but the whole thing just looks so different.

Exceptional 1922 there, where is the original coin?

This one from Tony Clayton's site , the only others I could find were Coinsgb and here

Google dried up after that: I wonder how many are out there? Court didn't find any in his big penny survey

David

PS Azda is warned not to follow the Tony Clayton link, it may prove too much for him :unsure:

Edited by davidrj

This one from Tony Clayton's site , the only others I could find were Coinsgb and here

Google dried up after that: I wonder how many are out there? Court didn't find any in his big penny survey

David

PS Azda is warned not to follow the Tony Clayton link, it may prove too much for him :unsure:

Lol, i already did :(

David

MMmmm Doppleganger is a German word....Azda / MP never post at the same time.... ;)

Wow, I really like Accumlator's piece!

Wow, I really like Accumlator's piece!

Thank you. Have not posted for a few months but still find time to lurk (and pick up the odd coin) occasionally!

Think I told you when you originally posted this coin that in the event you ever want or need to sell it, would give it the best of homes!LOL!

PS I have seen the 1922 rev. 1927 specimen (proof) that is in an NGC64 holder - looks better.

Be nice to have a picture of that in close up to see if it is a true F192A

Think I told you when you originally posted this coin that in the event you ever want or need to sell it, would give it the best of homes!LOL!

PS I have seen the 1922 rev. 1927 specimen (proof) that is in an NGC64 holder - looks better.

Be nice to have a picture of that in close up to see if it is a true F192A

I think you did mention your interest and I appreciate your kind offer to put a roof over it's head :)

Are you referring to the (unique, I believe) 1922 rev 1927 specimen with the ME obverse? If that's the coin, I think I've seen pics prior to slabbing.

No, it was one of the two Specimen (or proofs) of 1922 that were originally part of the 1924 proof/specimen set. This def. was the rev. of 1927 but don't remember the obverse. I think it would be only a bit short of the 1933 and might be a 15 or 20k pounds coin.

No, it was one of the two Specimen (or proofs) of 1922 that were originally part of the 1924 proof/specimen set. This def. was the rev. of 1927 but don't remember the obverse. I think it would be only a bit short of the 1933 and might be a 15 or 20k pounds coin.

You read it here Accumulator :) Sounds like an offer to buy, to me :D

You read it here Accumulator :) Sounds like an offer to buy, to me :D

Actually, I think the 1922 proof would be a 10k+ coin. If I owned both I might accept your kind offer to part with one for 20k :)

Uhhh, state of current finances would dictate BIAFRAN pounds methinks....

Does bring up the side issue of valuation of coins, pennies in particular and which of the varietals should bring "Moon Money" as they say in the States.

If those (and excuse the personal bias in advance) *&^&*()$#@ hypervarietal Buns such as narrow dates and all bring such money will these 20th C.

rarities ever catch on?

Also, I would like to see a micrograph picture of the date on that 2006 DNW 1922 obv & rev of 1927 piece. I tried to get one locally of an 1882 penny and was quoted a

crazy price by the local University. If only I were near to the alma mater where they give near carte blanche access to such....

Does bring up the side issue of valuation of coins, pennies in particular and which of the varietals should bring "Moon Money" as they say in the States.

If those (and excuse the personal bias in advance) *&^&*()$#@ hypervarietal Buns such as narrow dates and all bring such money will these 20th C.

rarities ever catch on?

Also, I would like to see a micrograph picture of the date on that 2006 DNW 1922 obv & rev of 1927 piece. I tried to get one locally of an 1882 penny and was quoted a

crazy price by the local University. If only I were near to the alma mater where they give near carte blanche access to such....

I think the rare 20thC pennies have already caught on. A 1933 or 1954 would certainly be 40k+ and may reach 6 figures on a good day. The 1922 rev 1927 or 1920 3+B would be several k. Higher grade examples of 1908 1*+C, 1926 ME, 1911 Gouby X, 1903 open 3, 1909 2 +E, would probably all make 1k+ Also, 1913 2 +A and 1937 1 + B proof won't be cheap (if the seller knows what they have)!

While on the subject, I've lost count of the number of UNC 1913's I've bought or searched looking for the elusive 1 + B combination (only rarity R, according to Freeman) so if anyone has one to sell (UNC only, sorry) please let me know?

Edited by Accumulator

rarities ever catch on?

I think the rare 20thC pennies have already caught on. A 1933 or 1954 would certainly be 40k+ and may reach 6 figures on a good day. The 1922 rev 1927 or 1920 3+B would be several k. Higher grade examples of 1908 1*+C, 1926 ME, 1911 Gouby X, 1903 open 3, 1909 2 +E, would probably all make 1k+ Also, 1913 2 +A and 1937 1 + B proof won't be cheap (if the seller knows what they have)!

While on the subject, I've lost count of the number of UNC 1913's I've bought or searched looking for the elusive 1 + B combination (only rarity R, according to Freeman) so if anyone has one to sell (UNC only, sorry) please let me know?

I was just about to offer you a 1913 1+B but then read the bit about UNC, I've been looking for this sucker in a good grade for years as well. Whats this about 1937 1+B proof penny. I have three is there a forth?

I was just about to offer you a 1913 1+B but then read the bit about UNC, I've been looking for this sucker in a good grade for years as well. Whats this about 1937 1+B proof penny. I have three is there a forth?

I obviously need to look harder for the 1937 1+B proof, unless you'd like to part with one for a fee? :)

I think the fame of the 1933 and 1954 pennies makes them "special cases", i.e. you couldn't put a catalogue value on them, and there would be general craziness if they appeared at auction. The 1926ME is popular enough with collectors, and rare enough in high grade, that I think you can forget that £1k+ plus figure - one with a green patina which was no more than AEF (Weak strike) made well over £300 ten years ago against a prediction of £150 maximum. You could probably save your £1k for an EF with bits of lustre, an UNC would go through the roof. The 1920 is less well known but prohibitively rare (just one in the BM, or is there one other?), so to collectors would cost a small fortune if one ever even appeared - you're looking at a coin that would made the 1863 'narrow 3' price look silly. And a high grade 1903 'open 3' and Gouby X are unknown in high grade so again, in the right auction, would make silly money. But your general point is sound - you're just conservative with your estimates!

I obviously need to look harder for the 1937 1+B proof, unless you'd like to part with one for a fee? :)

There are actually collectors for those tedious 1937 varieties?? Funny how no-one talks about the two varieties of 1905, yet those are - despite not being earth-shatteringly riveting in themselves - way more interesting than those 1937s :D Having said that, some people probably feel the same way about 1953 farthings and would not understand my glee some years back at being offered a proof set which contained the 2+A. I paid a fair price ... for a 1953 proof set. :lol:

Edited by Peckris

post-462-005051100 1317842455_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes:

LOL Gary - didn't you try it on with that picture once before? :lol:

LOL Gary - didn't you try it on with that picture once before? :lol:

:D