British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Raising 150 million from the ocean

Nice bog head!

Wonder whether cargo was bullion or coin

all that treasure and they show a picture of a karzi :D

Nice bog head!

Rumour has it the cargo was 1903 & 05 Halfcrowns...that would worry a couple of Chinese manufacturers. :)

Nice bog head!

Rumour has it the cargo was 1903 & 05 Halfcrowns...that would worry a couple of Chinese manufacturers. :)

Interesting that the announcement of this find, which totals some 200 tons of silver, almost immediately depressed the bullion price for silver by about 20%. The price went from around £25 per troy ounce to £20 almost in an instant.

Nice bog head!

Interesting that the announcement of this find, which totals some 200 tons of silver, almost immediately depressed the bullion price for silver by about 20%. The price went from around £25 per troy ounce to £20 almost in an instant.

200 tons? it must have sunk fast.

Nice bog head!

It states it was sunk in 1941 so it might not be .925 silver, it could be that its .500.........Still holding over half a Kilo of .925 myself, just waiting for the right time. anyone with a crystal ball?

Nice bog head!

It states it was sunk in 1941 so it might not be .925 silver, it could be that its .500.........Still holding over half a Kilo of .925 myself, just waiting for the right time. anyone with a crystal ball?

No time like the present - you don't think it's going higher? "The only way is Down..."

Like Peck I would let it go now.

Always take a profit (and a handsome one).I have messed about with my (now frozen)pension fund and took profit in various sectors,bought low,sold high etc etc

OK you might not hit the actual peaks but you avoid troughs. :).

Melt is currently about 53p per gram and any coin F+ will always reap more than this.

If you can bear (no pun intended!) to hang on to it through the coming big dip, I'd imagine some spectacular flights to safety once the Euro disintegrates and the US defaults.

Watch out for the incoming CorpGov restrictions though - did anyone else see this?

Remember the gold confiscations in 1933?

If you can bear (no pun intended!) to hang on to it through the coming big dip, I'd imagine some spectacular flights to safety once the Euro disintegrates and the US defaults.

Watch out for the incoming CorpGov restrictions though - did anyone else see this?

Remember the gold confiscations in 1933?

No, I'm not that old :D , but I DO remember the restrictions on modern gold coins in the late 60s (I can't remember the cutoff date but I'm pretty sure it was way back in the 19th Century). Basically, you couldn't buy more than ?4 sovs without a special licence.

quote]No, I'm not that old :D

name='ski' timestamp='1317757157' post='56088']
No, I'm not that old :D

cmon who you kidding ha :D

i do recall something about needing a licence to hold an amount of gold, im too old to remember exactly though, how has this changed? im assuming you can have as many gold sovs in your collection as you want...right?

but i have still ask......why the karzi??? :D

I can't believe Google has let me down :( I tried every form of words to confirm this, but the nearest I got was this quote : "Baird & Co was established as a numismatic coin dealer in 1967. As government restrictions lifted in the 1970s," I definitely remember the restrictions coming in, it was the late 60s and I remember the figure of "4 gold sovereigns" as a maximum. Nor do I think the restriction was to HOLD gold, but to BUY gold. (Existing collections weren't affected AFAIR). I think the restriction may have been lifted sometime during the Heath Govt 1970-74? (A far longer restriction was lifted in the US in 1975 apparently). Nowadays there is no restriction on buying sovereigns as a collectable, but I don't know what the rules on bullion are.

karzi? Explain.

Also explain how you got your post past the "opening quotes don't match the closing quotes" error???

Like Peck I would let it go now.

Always take a profit (and a handsome one).I have messed about with my (now frozen)pension fund and took profit in various sectors,bought low,sold high etc etc

OK you might not hit the actual peaks but you avoid troughs. :).

Melt is currently about 53p per gram and any coin F+ will always reap more than this.

i have quite a few that are better than Fine, i'm going to seperate these while taking pictures and add that these are better than scrap value, most are halfcrowns, with 1 VF Viccie crown, and 2 1820 crowns (F only)

Karzi is i'm assuming the London expression for toilet lol

Yes it is. I'm still baffled why it made an appearance here though!

As a Liverpudlian I always thought Khazi was Scouse, but Wilipedia gives:-

Lexicographer Eric Partridge derives khazi, also spelt karzy, kharsie or carzey, from a low Cockney word carsey originating in the late 19th century and meaning a privy.Carsey also referred to a den or brothel. It is presumably derived from the Italian casa for house, with the spelling influenced by its similar sound to khaki. Khazi is now most commonly used in the city of Liverpool in the UK, away from its cockney slang roots.[27]

An alternative derivation is from Christopher Chippindale, who states that khazi derives from Army slang used by expatriate officers of the British Empire who took a dislike to the habits of, and steaming rain forest inhabited by, the Khasi people of the Khasia hills on the northern frontier of India.

:)

David

Edited by davidrj

The Khazi,bog,loo,crapper,norwich, are all places where Richard 111 dwells. ;)

As a Liverpudlian I always thought Khazi was Scouse, but Wilipedia gives:-

:lol:

The Khazi,bog,loo,crapper,norwich, are all places where Richard 111 dwells. ;)

Ah, the place where we are hunchbacked en crappe?

Edited by Peckris

karzi? Explain.

Also explain how you got your post past the "opening quotes don't match the closing quotes" error???

i dont know how i managed that, one of those mystery's of life, however it was probably a peabrain to cumberland finger error for sure :D

karzi cos theres a pic of one in the link to salvaging silver.

is karzi a london term? interesting, i live in west london and not heard it soo much, but then i cant explain why i used the term either..........back to the peabrain

I'm still trying to find the WILIPEDIA referred to above. I'm told they are trying to expand it, but the effort of searching for it has left me limp. It was clearly a stiff task. :D

Edited by Peckris

I'm still trying to find the WILIPEDIA referred to above. I'm told they are trying to expand it, but the effort of searching for it has left me limp. It was clearly a stiff task. :D

Just for you Peck khazi and alternate terms

thewave.gif

David

thewave.gif

David

Most kind of you David :) Though I must point out that that was WIKI not WILI.

thewave.gif

David

OIC! didn't read your post carefully, too subtle for me!

David

thewave.gif

David

OIC! didn't read your post carefully, too subtle for me!

David

No problem - though it was originally your typo :D