British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

coinman18

need help on a £2 coin plz

Hi all, how are you today? Im new here and would like help on a £2 coin I found in my change today.

Right I found a 1998 £2 coin and around the edge it says, standing on the shoulders of giavts. Giavts should say Giants. It doesn't look like it's been worn as all the lines that run up are still there. Is this an error? Thanks

I found this on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERROR-2-1998-Edge-reads-GIAVTS-GIANTS-/190563460041 since there are no bidders I don't think it is a rare error if it is an error. Since quality control in the Royal Mint is fairly high and the 2 pound coin is a target for counterfeiters do the rest of the details all match up? I'm not sure if it is an error or not myself.

Since quality control in the Royal Mint is fairly high

i think most here would disagree!!!!!!

Lol, you are of course correct ski

Since quality control in the Royal Mint is fairly high

i think most here would disagree!!!!!!

Oh I don't know - I've heard that the Queen's Xtra Strongs are subject to strict inspection :P

Oh I don't know - I've heard that the Queen's Xtra Strongs are subject to strict inspection

yup youre right .....ive seen some of those £2 polo mint coins on ebay, you take the middle out and claim its rare

Oh I don't know - I've heard that the Queen's Xtra Strongs are subject to strict inspection

yup youre right .....ive seen some of those £2 polo mint coins on ebay, you take the middle out and claim its rare

Polo? Strong royal connection there!

Polo? Strong royal connection there!

Goes with marrying people so closely related it's tantamount to incest.

Oh damn, I've gone off subject again.

Error - yes, a broken die...

Rare - nope, sorry!

I did see one of the 'polo' £2 sold on ebay as 'loose middle' - the clamp marks on the outer and bash marks on the inner were soo bad that they showed clearly on a very blurred pic!

Hi all, how are you today? Im new here and would like help on a £2 coin I found in my change today.

Right I found a 1998 £2 coin and around the edge it says, standing on the shoulders of giavts. Giavts should say Giants. It doesn't look like it's been worn as all the lines that run up are still there. Is this an error? Thanks

A few of these appear on ebay (pemember the 5th of Novemember)I believe.

I don't think they are sought after...well only by folk to spend.

I shot the centre clean out of a £2 at 25yds. once so I guess they do exist. Will I get done for defacing a coin of the realm or for only defacing half a coin of the realm. The home secretary might give me only half the sentence.

I shot the centre clean out of a £2 at 25yds. once so I guess they do exist. Will I get done for defacing a coin of the realm or for only defacing half a coin of the realm. The home secretary might give me only half the sentence.

So what's half of death?

Uh oh... I sense a repeat of the 'drilling a penny' fiasco... TAKE COVER! :ph34r:

So what's half of death?

The calibre of attendees at the Labour party conference....or maybe I'm too generous. :unsure:

So what's half of death?

The calibre of attendees at the Labour party conference....or maybe I'm too generous. :unsure:

Quite lively by the look of what I've seen so far.

For FULL death just wait a few days until the Tories get going. :D

So what's half of death?

Don't want to instigate an existentialist free for all, but if one is half dead, then one is half alive, surely? Depends which way you swing.

I don't really have any strong feelings on the matter, my glass is always full - right up to the top.

Belch.