British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

2 curious questions for my inquisitive mind

The coin i most enjoyed was the 1905 Halfcrown, i had it several days lol, but just to own a decent and original coin of that year was pretty amazing. Unfortunately for me, it was way out of my price league for the time being and was merely bought to sell on, the wife did enjoy the 1200 euro profit though, i think i saw about 100 of that :ph34r:

I also really liked the one i had purchased for Rob from Germany, a shilling i think it was (Rob might show it again) Really nice coin. I actually wanted it for myself, but at the time it was to much for me, i had showed Rob the dealers gallery pics and he also liked it, so i snapped it up for him before anyone else got it, plus €50 off the asking price as i'd dealt with the dealer before.

You really ought to do this for a living, Dave, you're clearly good at it...I'm chuffed if I make a tenner on most of the coins I sell.

The coin i most enjoyed was the 1905 Halfcrown, i had it several days lol, but just to own a decent and original coin of that year was pretty amazing. Unfortunately for me, it was way out of my price league for the time being and was merely bought to sell on, the wife did enjoy the 1200 euro profit though, i think i saw about 100 of that :ph34r:

I also really liked the one i had purchased for Rob from Germany, a shilling i think it was (Rob might show it again) Really nice coin. I actually wanted it for myself, but at the time it was to much for me, i had showed Rob the dealers gallery pics and he also liked it, so i snapped it up for him before anyone else got it, plus €50 off the asking price as i'd dealt with the dealer before.

You really ought to do this for a living, Dave, you're clearly good at it...I'm chuffed if I make a tenner on most of the coins I sell.

I wish i had the cash to start Declan, so many nice coins out there, i want them ALL lol. Speaking of which, anyone seen this before? It was on ebay earlier and i took a punt on it but got outbidded, the seller sent me a 2nd chance offer on it, presumably he bidded to much on it himself as i was a zero FB winning bidder.

Its a trial piece for GB 1 Euro, description says its 25g of .999 silver. Thinks its worth buying?

post-5057-086359100 1317667549_thumb.jpg

Very nice. And unusual, that size. Mine are all much smaller. :lol:

Oh, and I just spotted one of my previous coins listed by a US auction house. Not sure if I'm more upset by the price they got for it, or the rather garish toning it seems to have developed!

I saw you wanted Chas 1st shillings.I noticed a few in an auction here in Australia in Sydney on Fri 21st Oct.Whether they are cheap or not you will have to decide.Lots 7948,9 & 7950 Elizabeth 1,lots 7955,6 & 7960 James 1,Lots 7967,8,9,70,71 Chas 1.You should find them at http://www.statusint.com

I saw you wanted Chas 1st shillings.I noticed a few in an auction here in Australia in Sydney on Fri 21st Oct.Whether they are cheap or not you will have to decide.Lots 7948,9 & 7950 Elizabeth 1,lots 7955,6 & 7960 James 1,Lots 7967,8,9,70,71 Chas 1.You should find them at http://www.statusint.com

A decent range on offer there across the board for all periods, but I would question some of the grading though. Do they have a reputation for overgrading or not?

Very nice. And unusual, that size. Mine are all much smaller. :lol:

Oh, and I just spotted one of my previous coins listed by a US auction house. Not sure if I'm more upset by the price they got for it, or the rather garish toning it seems to have developed!

Thanks! Not an auction house I'd heard of, so useful to have the link. I'd say the reserves are a little optomisitc, but then they might sell at that.

A decent range on offer there across the board for all periods, but I would question some of the grading though. Do they have a reputation for overgrading or not?

G,day Rob. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier,I have not looked in for a few days.Regarding the reputation for overgrading, I have not heard one way or the other.I will ask around.I have bought a few things through them but as Tom said they seem to put their reserves & estimates a little high in my opinion.They usually have quite a bit left for sale after the auction.

I've bought from them, 1 had a rim ding and they still graded it as UNC, grading was definately a little off

G,day Rob. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier,I have not looked in for a few days.Regarding the reputation for overgrading, I have not heard one way or the other.I will ask around.I have bought a few things through them but as Tom said they seem to put their reserves & estimates a little high in my opinion.They usually have quite a bit left for sale after the auction.

Thanks Joey, but don't bust a gut as I haven't found anything suitable for my needs, so won't be bidding in any case.

Thanks Joey, but don't bust a gut as I haven't found anything suitable for my needs, so won't be bidding in any case.

They do have a Northumberland shilling for sale. VF 600-800 estimate

G'Day I note they have lot 7985 described as NGC...1695 1/4d...it ain't its our old pal who self slabs.

G'Day I note they have lot 7985 described as NGC...1695 1/4d...it ain't its our old pal who self slabs.

I have their up coming sale catalogue and also a contact there, i'll take a look and then maybe drop her an email informing her of this atrocity :ph34r:

I assume it's someone who's bought from him and thought this is not GVF and could'nt send it back for whatever reason so has decided to sell it on. I have emailed them anyway.

Edited by azda

I have their up coming sale catalogue and also a contact there, i'll take a look and then maybe drop her an email informing her of this atrocity :ph34r:

I assume it's someone who's bought from him and thought this is not GVF and could'nt send it back for whatever reason so has decided to sell it on. I have emailed them anyway.

Its done the rounds on Ebay.....you could say the Katie Price of the farthing world...nice bust but entombed in plastic ;)

Sorry I'm late to the party... £300 for an 1817 bull head half crown. Only my second ever purchase! Trying to keep my collection small and high quality - one of each monarch as a starting point. G4 and W4 going to take a while at these prices!

Sorry I'm late to the party... £300 for an 1817 bull head half crown. Only my second ever purchase! Trying to keep my collection small and high quality - one of each monarch as a starting point. G4 and W4 going to take a while at these prices!

A great ambition ;)

You could pick up G1V and W1V farthings in top grade without breaking the bank, and sixpences are your best bet for silver, followed by shillings.

Sensible man if you can maintain the quality standards. Not so sure about keeping the collection small though. Much easier said than done.

But more important to make sure you know what you are buying when you are spending bigger sums!! Easier to make a big mistake, so choose carefully and make sure you know exactly what you are buying :)

Not that difficult to keep small really - each coin takes me months to save up for! It's a bit frustrating sometimes, but at least it gives me time to research (I'm relatively new to this). I only buy from reputable dealers to reduce the risk of getting ripped off - I have dabbled in eBay, but only for the smaller purchases. I want to see them myself for the eye appeal for the more pricey stuff.

It's a bit frustrating sometimes, but at least it gives me time to research

That's the important bit!! ;)

Collecting is more a marathon than a sprint boomstick, and it can also be damn frustrating, especially when there's a coin avaliable that you want but have no cash :)

especially when there's a coin avaliable that you want but have no cash

even more frustrating Dave, is at auction and you've the cash for a coin....but somebody else has more :D

even more frustrating Dave, is at auction and you've the cash for a coin....but somebody else has more :D

That is invariably the problem. We all have a nemesis or two. :(

There is always a better one...Ok maybe not the high quality hammered pieces but I once got done by onosecond on a 1914 1/4d only to pick up a few over the next few days.

There's always someone with deeper pockets

There's always someone with deeper pockets

And if we all had the same resources, the numismatic market would find some other way to ensure that the best pieces were retained by a few friends of the major players. A bit like the Soviet Union maybe where you have holiday resorts reserved for party members - all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. C'est la vie.

There is always a better one...Ok maybe not the high quality hammered pieces but I once got done by onosecond on a 1914 1/4d only to pick up a few over the next few days.

Well, that was Colin Cooke / Neil Paisley's ID and it was a farthing, so ...