British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mat

Which Wessex King?

Unfortunately I only have two books on hammered and the Spink catalogue but the reverse of this does not appear to feature in any of them. I have never seen this reverse before and I cannot find a sale in any of spinks archives, but I may not be using the correct searches.

I am guessing it is either Eadmund or Eadred, or potentially Edward the Elder but I doubt it. Any ideas?

Also can some one confirm for me that the other coin attached is Alexander III? I know very little on the Scottish.

Thanks

Mat

post-4614-082182600 1315917950_thumb.gif

post-4614-042105000 1315917967_thumb.gif

post-4614-008237700 1315918041_thumb.gif

Unfortunately I only have two books on hammered and the Spink catalogue but the reverse of this does not appear to feature in any of them. I have never seen this reverse before and I cannot find a sale in any of spinks archives, but I may not be using the correct searches.

I am guessing it is either Eadmund or Eadred, or potentially Edward the Elder but I doubt it. Any ideas?

Also can some one confirm for me that the other coin attached is Alexander III? I know very little on the Scottish.

Thanks

Mat

The Saxon purports to be an Eadwig floral type S1125, however, it looks a bit crude. i.e. are you sure it is genuine? It ticks all the right boxes for a type that would be copied being 1350 in fine and 5250 in VF and is the most expensive type without the bust. I would have to do a bit of digging to see if there is another example by OSWALD in a catalogue to see if the dies match. North doesn't list him as a moneyer. Provenance?

Scottish is not something I know much about, so would have to dig out the literature.

Edited by Rob

First, please accept that I know nothing about coins of this period, but I am drawn to North Vol.1, plate X, pictures 3 - this referring to coin number 737.

If I'm correct, your first coin could be Eadwig, local type, N.W. mint.

I'll be watching with interest - I hope that it's genuine.

Second one - no luck.

Bill.

Mat - P.M. on this subject sent.

Bill.

Thanks

Mat

The Saxon purports to be an Eadwig floral type S1125, however, it looks a bit crude. i.e. are you sure it is genuine? It ticks all the right boxes for a type that would be copied being 1350 in fine and 5250 in VF and is the most expensive type without the bust. I would have to do a bit of digging to see if there is another example by OSWALD in a catalogue to de if the dies match. North doesn't list him as a moneyer. Provenance?

Scottish is not something I know much about, so would have to dig out the literature.

Thanks Rob, good to meet you Sunday.

No idea if it is genuine, these are not my field. The provenance suggests so... There is a receipt with it: '1987 - 9 hammered pennies - £587. Found in Norfolk - John Keys'

I bought a very large life time collection from an elderly man and this was included in it.

Mat - P.M. on this subject sent.

Bill.

Thanks Bill, I have emailed you.

Mat

I would have to do a bit of digging to see if there is another example by OSWALD in a catalogue to see if the dies match. North doesn't list him as a moneyer. Provenance?

No idea if it is genuine, these are not my field

:rolleyes:

I would have to do a bit of digging to see if there is another example by OSWALD in a catalogue to see if the dies match. North doesn't list him as a moneyer. Provenance?

Very good Mr P

You would make an excellent TV critic with that kind of attention to detail!

You would make an excellent TV critic with that kind of attention to detail!

I AM an excellent TV critic! Call round any evening and I'll give you a demonstration :D

The Scottish one looks like a David II, David can be made out in the legend

Any farthings in there you want to get rid of ;)

Edited by Colin G.

Have not had a proper chance to go through it all yet, if there is I do not think they will be of high grade. However your welcome to any of the 1825 farthings from the London coins lot! I have not received or seen them yet -(