British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bilnic

The Silver Threepence

I am aware of the changed ‘3’ on the 3d (small ball and large ball) during 1904, but what other variations of this coin are there during the reign of Edward VII - or indeed from 1817? Some of my Edward VII coins do appear different, but I think that’s because of wear and tear and weighing them would be pointless for the same reason.

I also note that KM has two numbers, with the change during 1904, and they have quoted different ASW (0.0387 and 0.042 oz.) which I consider to be rubbish - but the revised ‘3’ is not mentioned. Perhaps they are more concerned with their melt value of silver (0.042 x .925 = 0.0388) than the actual coins. From 1816, the lighter weight is quoted for 1902-1904 only, and decreases to 0.0227 for the .500 period. I wish that they would use grains and quote the full weight of coins. Another point of possible confusion is that the correct abbreviation for grains is ‘gr’, which looks like grams - my electronic scales show ‘gn’ for grains.

As I collect circulated coins, I can’t go to the high definition illustrations that you good people are capable of, but here is a scan of the two versions of 1904 alongside each other.

Please, what variations of the 3d from 1817 should I look for, and which version of the ‘3’ appeared on the Maundy coins of 1904?

Bill.

post-4874-078546900 1315595067_thumb.jpe

Bilnic,

Regarding Edward VII, you are right that there are varieties for 1904. In practice there are two obverses for 1904 and two reverses, giving 4 different types. For 1905 there are reportedly the same two obverses as for 1904, giving two varieties for this year, although obverse 1 is unconfirmed according to Davies. Similarly, for 1906 there are the same two obverses as for 1904 and 1905, giving two varieties.

Thanks Dave, that’s a great start.

So far, I’ve made it:

1902 O1 R1

1903 O1 R1

1904 O1 R1 / O1 R2 / O2 R1 / O2 R2

1905 O1 R2 (unconfirmed) / O2 R2

1906 O1 R2 / O2 R2

Can anyone give any guidance on the differences between the obverses, and can we take this table any further? Is it possible to give the obverse-reverse type for the Maundy coins?

Bill.

Thanks Dave, that’s a great start.

So far, I’ve made it:

1902 O1 R1

1903 O1 R1

1904 O1 R1 / O1 R2 / O2 R1 / O2 R2

1905 O1 R2 (unconfirmed) / O2 R2

1906 O1 R2 / O2 R2

Can anyone give any guidance on the differences between the obverses, and can we take this table any further? Is it possible to give the obverse-reverse type for the Maundy coins?

Bill.

Bill,

There is two pointers for the 1904-1906 observes. The I in BRITT points to a gap (obv 1)and tooth (obv 2). I of IMP to tooth, wide gap to : (obv 1) and I to gap, narrow gap to : (obv 2). For 1905 Observe 1 is the maundy issue (proof like) and observe 2 is the currency issue. All currency Obv 1 I have seen to date have been either circulated maundy pieces or to worn to tell.

The listing progresses. I’ve checked the underlined ones from my collection of circulated coins so these entries will need checking against any existing information.

Obverse

1 -‘ I’ of BRITT points to a gap,’ I’ of IMP to tooth and wide gap to ‘:’

2 - ‘I’ of BRITT points to a tooth, ‘I’ of IMP to gap and narrow gap to ‘:’

Reverse

1 - small ball at bottom tip of ‘3’

2 - large ball at bottom tip of ‘3’ with definite angle where it joins the curve

1902 O1 R1

1903 O1 R1

1904 O1 R1 (currency) / O1 R2 / O2 R1 / O2 R2 (currency)

1905 O1 R2 (Maundy) / O2 R2 (currency)

1906 O1 R2 / O2 R2 (I think mine’s the first variety, but it’s very worn)

1907 O1 R2

1908 O1 R2

1909 O1 R2

1910 O1 R2

Any more thoughts would be appreciated, also details of the Maundy coins for this period. Also, the weights as quoted by KM for 1902 to 1904. Perhaps later we can pick another block of years and try to put any other information together in the one place, so it might be worth looking out any info now. Is this sort of info in print anywhere?

As an aside, I’ve always been fascinated by the silver 3d. When I was young (many years ago!), I used to spot them on the ground near bus stops and try to rescue them before the bus ran over them - much to my mother’s annoyance, as she had to rescue me from the bus swooping in to the stop.

Bill.

Any more thoughts about the Edward VII 3d variations from anyone? Or should we now move to 1893 variations?

Bill.

Any more thoughts about the Edward VII 3d variations from anyone? Or should we now move to 1893 variations?

Bill.

I bought mine for 45p from a jewellers scrap tray.The same day I hit the jackpot with the current Peter girlfriend.

Jubilee Head all around. :)

Bill.

I bought mine for 45p from a jewellers scrap tray.The same day I hit the jackpot with the current Peter girlfriend.

Jubilee Head all around. :)

Oh, surely Peter's girlfriend is better looking than that? :D