British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Red Riley

Edward the um... 1st or is it 3rd, or even 2nd pennies?

I have just spent the last hour poring over various books trying to identify these two Mediaeval pennies and have emerged none the wiser and in a very bad temper. I would be extremely grateful if someone would just have a quick look at them and tell me into which of the thousands of varieties these (rather worn) pennies fall.

I know the answer is probably to consult North but I haven't got a copy and have never seen one for sale.

Please help me!

Here's the first;

post-798-066920200 1315306895_thumb.jpg

post-798-052404000 1315306926_thumb.jpg

Here's the second;

post-798-036956400 1315307614_thumb.jpg

post-798-013796400 1315307644_thumb.jpg

I'll hazard a guess and say the first is class 10, but which sub-class I wouldn't like to commit myself. That's based on the crown detail which is bifoliate, whereas the earlier types are trifoliate. The second looks later - at a guess class 15 based on the shape of the h and the left leaning spearhead and fleurs.

I'll hazard a guess and say the first is class 10, but which sub-class I wouldn't like to commit myself. That's based on the crown detail which is bifoliate, whereas the earlier types are trifoliate. The second looks later - at a guess class 15 based on the shape of the h and the left leaning spearhead and fleurs.

Thanks Rob. I have now tracked down both volumes of North, but they ain't cheap! Still, guess I only have to get them once.

Thanks Rob. I have now tracked down both volumes of North, but they ain't cheap! Still, guess I only have to get them once.

Then you have the fun of trying to understand them :blink:

How much ?

Picked mine up for less than £15 on one of my raids on the unsuspecting booksellers of the South East....

Here's the second;

I reckon the 2nd is 10c-f based on the legend EDWAR R ANGL DNS HYB

I FIND THE BEST GUIDE FOR THESE IS THE GALATA GUIDE TO THE PENNIES OF EDWARD I & II £20 AND A LOT MORE READABLE THAN SPINK, NORTH, OR WREN. EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE READ THEM ALL IT IS NOT EASY.

I have just spent the last hour poring over various books trying to identify these two Mediaeval pennies and have emerged none the wiser and in a very bad temper. I would be extremely grateful if someone would just have a quick look at them and tell me into which of the thousands of varieties these (rather worn) pennies fall.

I know the answer is probably to consult North but I haven't got a copy and have never seen one for sale.

Please help me!

Here's the first;

The more I look at this one the more it looks like 10c-f crown 2 The drapery is particularly noticable, closed e late s bifoliate crown with very small spears,no punctuation in or after the legend, see Galata guide.

Here's the second;

I FIND THE BEST GUIDE FOR THESE IS THE GALATA GUIDE TO THE PENNIES OF EDWARD I & II £20 AND A LOT MORE READABLE THAN SPINK, NORTH, OR WREN. EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE READ THEM ALL IT IS NOT EASY.

I would add the reverse has straight sided Ns unbarred and closed C with a straight bar. this isn't listed after class 9

Here's the second;

I would add the reverse has straight sided Ns unbarred and closed C with a straight bar. this isn't listed after class 9

A very honest appraisal and comment "it is not easy" :)

Once past the mint the fun starts..I also use Coincraft 2000 and Rotographics Englands striking history.Cut coins even more fun!!!!

Thanks everyone. That has at least staved off the immediate requirement giving me a little breathing space to track down more books on the subject. I used Coincraft 1997 and Spink's; the photographs in the former just look like round(ish) blobs and the latter just doesn't go into sufficient detail.

More expense...

Thanks everyone. That has at least staved off the immediate requirement giving me a little breathing space to track down more books on the subject. I used Coincraft 1997 and Spink's; the photographs in the former just look like round(ish) blobs and the latter just doesn't go into sufficient detail.

More expense...

The Rotographic striking History is very cheap.North 1 I paid £10 (new) at the Midland....should be over £40.Galata and Wren are also cheapish.

The jury is still out on some of my pennies.

How much ?

Picked mine up for less than £15 on one of my raids on the unsuspecting booksellers of the South East....

The ones I saw were £40 and £95 Vols. 1 and 2 respectively.

How much ?

The ones I saw were £40 and £95 Vols. 1 and 2 respectively.

Message sent about a considerably cheaper deal.

Bill.