British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Whats the better option

Ok As some of you may know its the wee guys birthday Next week and have been looking around for nice early date sovs or a rarish types As i believe they will hold their value Even if bullion prices go down.

I have My eye on 2 so far and in order to try and get them i've listed a couple of My pennies ob ebay As i'm but a poor engineer and have a wife to ;)

So My question is, out of theae 2 (1863 sov roman 1 in date and 1832 high grade) which would be the best option as there's no way i could go for both.

Ok As some of you may know its the wee guys birthday Next week and have been looking around for nice early date sovs or a rarish types As i believe they will hold their value Even if bullion prices go down.

I have My eye on 2 so far and in order to try and get them i've listed a couple of My pennies ob ebay As i'm but a poor engineer and have a wife to ;)

So My question is, out of theae 2 (1863 sov roman 1 in date and 1832 high grade) which would be the best option as there's no way i could go for both.

Gold in top grade with no wear and only a couple of tiny marks will win hands down unless the lower grade piece is an acknowledged rarity whose supply is far outstripped by demand. Spink prices them reasonably similarly as a couple of hundred either way is not really here or there, but 1832 is flagged up as a date for counterfeits, so do some homework before you buy.

PS. Why do you wink your wife in public, or is it a coded message?

Gold in top grade with no wear and only a couple of tiny marks will win hands down unless the lower grade piece is an acknowledged rarity whose supply is far outstripped by demand. Spink prices them reasonably similarly as a couple of hundred either way is not really here or there, but 1832 is flagged up as a date for counterfeits, so do some homework before you buy.

Just because Dave missed an "O" :D

I think it must be a Scottish thing...what with battered mars bars,men wearing skirts,big ginger men,tossing the caber...funny race really. ;)

Just because Dave missed an "O" :D

I think it must be a Scottish thing...what with battered mars bars,men wearing skirts,big ginger men,tossing the caber...funny race really. ;)

And don't forget dancing on the cutlery, losing their purse when it's their round, thrashing a sphere of rubber bands around the countryside with sticks, and having free care for their disabled and elderly .... WAIT! I'm off up there...

Lol, this is Why i Love this forum and the fruitcakes that inhabit it, one serious answer then way off topic, we also get free prescriptions to peck, i never lose my purse as i don't have one, the wife does though, thats where you'll find my cash.

Never tried the deep fried mars, deep fried pizza is ace though and i always wink after the wife comment incase she's watching ;)

Peck, you'll need your passport if you're moving tae Scotland me old foreign Chum :)

i didnt realise serious answers were allowed on this forum..........

:unsure:

Lol, thanks for the Call ski, and Yes i'm a Big hairy scotsman lol, Same to you John, just goes to show which of us was blowing Hot air ;)

Don't forget the lads proper present.A decent size diecast car,plane or model ship.

Or maybe an England shirt :D

Another idea would be a piece of Scottish hammered....as long as you can get the glue marks off where it was stuck in the sporran ;)

It's a nice adea, but you're probably better off investing the money in some kind of savings product and buying him some coins he can actually play with. Then, in 20 years time if he's interested, he'll have some dough to form his own collection ?

It's a nice adea, but you're probably better off investing the money in some kind of savings product and buying him some coins he can actually play with. Then, in 20 years time if he's interested, he'll have some dough to form his own collection ?

I think you're right 400. A sovereign would be a good investment, but that's all it would be. A couple of months ago I was asked to put together a starter collection for each of a lady's four grandchildren with complete free reign as to what I supplied. I went for a varied selection of lower grade, more interesting coins going back to the early Victorian period which would, I hoped, capture a kid's imagination but at the same time be robust enough to be fairly roughly played with. The lady seemed very satisfied (she even gave me a tip!) but of course I am never going to know how the grandchildren reacted to the coins.

He already has a fair amount of cash in the bank, we save as much as we can for him due to his disability, we don't actually know how much it will affect him in the future so we are just ploughing as much as we can into his account. We then take a percentage of that out each year and take it to Turkey where the Turkish banks pay 10% a year (much more than here or the UK) His grandfather has opened an account for him there and has put in a lump sum also, so we just top it up yearly.

I already have started collecting a few coins for him (Pennies) some junk to test the water when he's ready and some decent stuff which was sent over by John Stephenson when i've bought a couple from him, he threw in a few for the wee guy. The rarer Gold would also be easier to sell if he did'nt fancy it, or else i could just buy it and just sell it on, hopefully at profit which would then just go into his bank accout.

How does the Turkish bank work?Their inflation and buying power against £ or $?????

As for buying a financial product...apologies for any forum members involved in this industry.... :unsure:

You can use the internet,financial tips in papers and your own judgement(gut feeling) to buy a few different shares.

Your coin collection is your sons inheritance so buy using your knowledge. :) A toy Porsche to match his Dad's(real one)or a car from your home City ;)

Going back to the coin option...it would be a good idea to slab it.

How does the Turkish bank work?Their inflation and buying power against £ or $?????

As for buying a financial product...apologies for any forum members involved in this industry.... :unsure:

You can use the internet,financial tips in papers and your own judgement(gut feeling) to buy a few different shares.

Your coin collection is your sons inheritance so buy using your knowledge. :) A toy Porsche to match his Dad's(real one)or a car from your home City ;)

Going back to the coin option...it would be a good idea to slab it.

Turkish banks accept $ or €, the wifes father took early retirement and got quite a large pay off, he stasshed most of it there and now he basically goes there once a year for 3 months, withdraws the intrest and lives off that most of the year. Its definately a better rate than any UK or German banks are giving right now. He'll be able to buy his own Porsche by the time he's 15 lol

Apparently the Turkish economy is doing pretty well, probably due to the fact that they're not in the EU ;)

Edited by azda

Apparently the Turkish economy is doing pretty well, probably due to the fact that they're not in the EU ;)

How would a Greek bankruptcy affect them, being next door neighbours etc, etc ?

Did you really call that nasty man an arsewipe ?

Green problems would'nt effect Turkey as Turkey isn't in the EU, they do however accept the euro As does some places in London.

And Yes the man was/is an arsewipe

They probably have very little exposure to Greece as i) they aren't in the EC, and ii) they hate each others guts. How Turkish banks get round the Islamic ban on charging interest, I don't know, perhaps they just call it something else.

And, yes he did.

They probably have very little exposure to Greece as i) they aren't in the EC, and ii) they hate each others guts. How Turkish banks get round the Islamic ban on charging interest, I don't know, perhaps they just call it something else.

And, yes he did.

LOL. They're hardly the most Islamist of nations are they! I get the feeling the descendants of Ataturk would rather be entering the Eurovision Song Contest than getting their own Ayatollah. :D

Bernard Mathews was the last bloke who i knew of who invested heavily in turkey.........he seemed to do okay out of it.

:rolleyes: yes he did call him that...............

it was maybe what most was thinking, to be honest............and even worse.......he did it with a jock accent :D

:rolleyes: yes he did call him that...............

it was maybe what most was thinking, to be honest............and even worse.......he did it with a jock accent :D

ARRRRRASS-waip :lol:

And, yes he did.

LOL. They're hardly the most Islamist of nations are they! I get the feeling the descendants of Ataturk would rather be entering the Eurovision Song Contest than getting their own Ayatollah. :D

You are correct Peck, Turks are more liberal than people think. I mean, i'm a hairy arsed Scotsman and the Frau in Turkish obviously. Her religious beliefs are Islamic, but she does'nt do the mosque, eats bacon, sausage (actually, a lot of sausage) :D :D Her Mother is Arabic, so there's quite a lot in the mix there, then there's wee Wullie, who's 9/10th Scotsman, much to the dismay of her mother (that part i love) :D So perhaps, the Turks are getting more Europeanised by living in Europe because there's quite a lot of them here in Germany, they were invited here to rebuild Germany after the war, so perhaps it's something to do with all those things.

didnt realise peckris that you were fluent in jock.............. :D:D:D

Ok, so here's the coin i've made a bid on. Its the 1863 with Roman 1

1863SovereignWithRoman1.jpg

You are correct Peck, Turks are more liberal than people think. I mean, i'm a hairy arsed Scotsman and the Frau in Turkish obviously. Her religious beliefs are Islamic, but she does'nt do the mosque, eats bacon, sausage (actually, a lot of sausage) :D :D Her Mother is Arabic, so there's quite a lot in the mix there, then there's wee Wullie, who's 9/10th Scotsman, much to the dismay of her mother (that part i love) :D So perhaps, the Turks are getting more Europeanised by living in Europe because there's quite a lot of them here in Germany, they were invited here to rebuild Germany after the war, so perhaps it's something to do with all those things.

I didn't know you'd found your own Turkish Delight Dave! I don't know the Turkish for "Salaam mw'allykom", but I bet she does!

didnt realise peckris that you were fluent in jock.............. :D:D:D

And it's improved greatly since King Kenny returned to the fold :)