British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

chuckles

Mary Groat or Counterfeit?

Hi everyone!

I have this coin that I believe to be a Queen Mary Groat but I've found with the research I've done that the text that circles the edge of the coin is different to other Mary Groats I've seen. Does this mean this coin is a counterfeit coin?

The metal itself doesn't feel inferior in that you can't bend it or score it with your nails. The coin measures approx 2cm. I've attached pictures which I hope will help!

Many thanks

Chuckles :)

post-6912-082984300 1314814425_thumb.jpg

post-6912-041510900 1314814469_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone!

I have this coin that I believe to be a Queen Mary Groat but I've found with the research I've done that the text that circles the edge of the coin is different to other Mary Groats I've seen. Does this mean this coin is a counterfeit coin?

The metal itself doesn't feel inferior in that you can't bend it or score it with your nails. The coin measures approx 2cm. I've attached pictures which I hope will help!

Many thanks

Chuckles :)

post-6912-082984300 1314814425_thumb.jpg

post-6912-041510900 1314814469_thumb.jpg

You mean you tried? :blink:

The obverse legend on it seems to be MARIA ANG FRA Z (et) HIB REGI (Mary, Queen of England France and Ireland), which sounds ok, but I'm no expert.

The reverse legend SHOULD be VERITAS TEMPORIS FILIA but yours just has TEMPO which may be a known variation?

As to whether it's a counterfeit or not, I don't know enough. It appears to be a groat.

You mean you tried? :blink:

The obverse legend on it seems to be MARIA ANG FRA Z (et) HIB REGI (Mary, Queen of England France and Ireland), which sounds ok, but I'm no expert.

The reverse legend SHOULD be VERITAS TEMPORIS FILIA but yours just has TEMPO which may be a known variation?

As to whether it's a counterfeit or not, I don't know enough. It appears to be a groat.

I was gentle...honest!!

That's what concerned me about this coin in that mine only has TEMPO and not TEMPORIS also that in the first quarter going clockwise other coins have VERITA whereas mine has VERT and the A starts in the next quarter.

I hope it is a genuine groat as it's a lovely little coin!

Many thanks for the reply!!

Reference to English Hammered Coinage Vol 2, there is an illustration of a Queen Mary Groat - Plate IV, No.58. This shows "TEMPO" only (Coin Ref. No.1960).

There are minor differences that could be expected from different dies for hammered coins.

Yours could be OK, but I'll leave that to the professionals!

Bill.

It screams fake at you. A mint mark in the shape of a pomegranate would be a good start. It is found after MARIA on the obverse, and if present on the reverse is after VERITAS.

It screams fake at you. A mint mark in the shape of a pomegranate would be a good start. It is found after MARIA on the obverse, and if present on the reverse is after VERITAS.

Without going into the legend/mintmark on which I'm hardly an expert, I would agree - the planchet is just too round and the design/legend too even. I would strongly suspect it of being a modern replica in pewter.

Sorry if that's bad news.