British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

yea Krause is expensive and there are like 4 books worth to cover everything.

i'm loaded with the red book and an old modern world coins book from the mid 60's.

what i do need is a Bitkin for my russians :/

Edited by scott

Just got these 2. Both German Kaiserreich and both Gold

GERMAN187220MARKGOLDCOINalsoA10MARKGOLDC

GERMAN187220MARKGOLDCOINalsoA10MARKGOLDC

Decent coins Dave. :)

Yep, the Württenberg (20 Mark) looks to be good high grade. The Sachsen 10 mark is a good early date. I could sell either over here and make virtually my outlay back (which is what i intend to do) and the one thats left will hopefully only cost me between 30-50. i recently got another rare date 5 mark 1878, they are around 350 from dealers here, i paid £90 from Lockdales, it went into the little mans collection.

Edited by azda

Just got these 2. Both German Kaiserreich and both Gold

Showoff! .. er, I meant, very nice Dave! :P

Buying "away from home" does seem too be a good strategy I must say! And Lockdales! Well I never! :lol:

Venezuela 1 Centavo. Paris issue unfortunately (I'd have quite liked one of the Heaton ones) but it fits the bill. Not brilliant grade as there's some corrosion.

But then I didn't pay a top grade price for it ...

KMY6Venezuela1CentavoP_zpsc3973f28.jpg

• Like 1

reminds me I must upload the pics of those double tournouis

meanwhile

1024417.jpg

1785 prussia 3 Grochen, E mintmark

1024416.jpg

Charles X douzain with counterstamp from 1640

Edited by scott

1024415.jpg

anouther countermarked Douzain, although this one doesnt appear to be one i can identify.

those came in a bunch of 3, but for some reason the best one of the 3 appeared to have missed the camera (it is superior to these by a long chalk)

1024416.jpg

Charles X douzain with counterstamp from 1640

Well identified Scott! Hard to tell the exact type (Duplessy 1179,1180, or 1181) Circulated as an (illegal) double sol de Paris, possible mints, Laon, Marseille, Dijon, Riom or Nantes

v37_0365.jpg

Interesting to note there are two Charles X on French coins, the latter 1824-1830 deliberately chose the title to publicly declare the illegality of your guy's claim to the French throne

The early Charles X coins were issued by the Catholic League during the French Wars of Religion, Charles's claim was backed by Phillip II of Spain in opposition to the Protestant Henri IV

Henri III (1754 -2.8.1589), Charles X (2.8.1589 - 9.5.1590), Henri IV (2.8.1589 - 1610) Charles spent his entire "reign" as a prisoner of Henri IV

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Bourbon_(cardinal)

France's equivalent of our Lady Jane Grey

:)

David

Edited by davidrj

Bother. I put in a bid for this on a hosting site and forgot about it. I was a bit carried away when I bid and so perhaps spent a bit more for it than I should. Ah, well..

It's a bit of a curiosity, I think. A silver Peso of Cuba, but struck in Philadelphia and primarily as bullion stock to guarantee the paper notes rather than circulating coinage.

The issue is known as the ABC Peso, after the initials of three unidentified right-wing cells opposing General Gerardo Machado y Morales, dictator until his overthrow in 1934 and was allegedly commissioned by a member of one of these cells!

A decent size silver coin of (struck to the same weight and fineness as the US 'Peace Dollar') at 38mm, 26.7g. And of course with that republican be-hatted bust!

https://www.soleryllach.com/subastas/Subasta1080-2/imgLotes/48/4869q.jpg'>https://www.soleryllach.com/subastas/Subasta1080-2/imgLotes/48/4869q.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart

It's a bit of a curiosity, I think. A silver Peso of Cuba, but struck in Philadelphia and primarily as bullion stock to guarantee the paper notes rather than circulating coinage.

https://www.soleryllach.com/subastas/Subasta1080-2/imgLotes/48/4869q.jpg

Nice and interesting story behind the coin. These don't seem that easy to get hold of.

1024425.jpg

here is the 3rd one.

and speaking of shinies

1024427.jpg

Schöne patina! Doesn't score very highly on the flash index for sparkle though. :lol:

12846135134_75e93871c8_c.jpg

Very nice coin! Lovely tone.

I had a 1 Mark kicking about somewhere and lost it during a move , it was a really nice coin. Ahhhh well

Schöne patina! Doesn't score very highly on the flash index for sparkle though. :lol:12846135134_75e93871c8_c.jpg

I agree very nice tone on that one!,

Edited by Colin G.

Nice and interesting story behind the coin. These don't seem that easy to get hold of.

Ah, that's explained by the fact that there have been a few internet articles that have said they are rare! OK, the 1935 is rare (most were sold back to the US to boost Cuba's finances and allegedly the case that held the 1935s was dropped as it was being put aboard ship) but mintages for other years suggest not. However they have gained a 'mystique' in the US, which is why I had to go to Spain for a cheaper one!

Schöne patina! Doesn't score very highly on the for sparkle though. :lol: [

Looking at their examples, just as well, IMHO!

and speaking of shinies

1024427.jpg

Nice jeton Scott! Not that I've anything against the .. double sol, is it? But I like the detail on that one.

Douzain the other like the other 2.

I have a nice half mark I havn't got around tp uploading the picture of yet as well.

I have a nice half mark I havn't got around tp uploading the picture of yet as well.

Be nice to see it. Here's an interesting half mark I got my hands on recently. Many of the half marks of 1918 and 1919 were darkened by the mints (geschwärzt) to prevent hoarding.

12879239553_3cd554b97a_c.jpg

Be nice to see it. Here's an interesting half mark I got my hands on recently. Many of the half marks of 1918 and 1919 were darkened by the mints (geschwärzt) to prevent hoarding.12879239553_3cd554b97a_c.jpg

You are correct, they started this practise in 1917 which you can read about from my Kurt Jaeger guide book

image-4.jpg

You are correct, they started this practise in 1917 which you can read about from my Kurt Jaeger guide book

Thanks yes I have a copy of Jaeger. Not that I'm able to sit down and read it casually. It's really handy for post-1871 coinage since all the dealers use the numbers as a reference.

It's also really good for doing bicep curls, with Spink in my other arm.

You should try Krause for a more serious bicep curl. 1400 Pages worth

There is a chap on ebay selling all these on CD for a couple of £.

I have picked up one old catalogue but basically Krause is boll**ks and just a general reference.

Problem being Peter is how old the books on CD are, they price guide could be well out of date as i've recently witnessed on a Spanish 8 reales i had, krause had it down at $100 in its grade, i sold it for £290, needless to say i've bought 1601-1700 and 1701-1800 Brand new a few weeks back so i hopefully don't make mamy errors on any other World coins i may sell in the future.

I reckon buying new every 5-7 years should keep you in touch with prices (just)