British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

Oh, my God! :rolleyes:

See what a thread on predecimal can do? Perhaps we should add a safety warning!

I didn't mention the worst bit. I've even started to mimic Rob a bit. One coin is nickel, two bronze, two CuNI (though I thought one was aluminium!) and an aluminium/bronze. I've even considered getting a proof! Eeek!

:P

Oh, and the coins (still seller's pics) closer to life-size:

post-129-0-78381300-1391637364_thumb.jpg

I think I did OK for €36 (€10 of which was postage!)

Edited by TomGoodheart

Yes, I like that art nouveau style. But the better grades and free of verd coins I saw were out of my price comfort zone so I left it for another day's searching!

And a cob (ideally a 'piece of eight!') is on my 'maybe one day' list too!

Oh, my God! :rolleyes:

I didn't mention the worst bit. I've even started to mimic Rob a bit. One coin is nickel, two bronze, two CuNI (though I thought one was aluminium!) and an aluminium/bronze. I've even considered getting a proof! Eeek!

Oh, and the coins (still seller's pics) closer to life-size:

Coins.jpg

I think I did OK for 36 (10 of which was postage!)

I've got the Paris PCGS phone number if you need it? ;)

If it was girls you wanted on yer coins, you should've just let us know, there's no shame in it? There's a couple of home-grown birds out there...1500's, 1700's, 1900's, or even a bit o decimal Liz if you like? I've already got TWO spare 2005 5p's if you want one? :P

Pretty coins, really...why French, though?

you forgot 1800's

whats wrong with french coins?

Edited by scott

It's all very spooky, I've started buying hammered :o

You've got a long way to go. Fortunately I have only listed the metals used in British examples which now comes to a total of 50 if you include the various finenesses stipulated in the indentures. Luckily it has been possible to remove one metal from the list (antimony) as those listed in Peck as such have been shown to be a 2:1 tin/lead alloy. I'm 2/3 of the way there with nearly all the gaps being H8, Ed.VI and Elizabethan gold and silver types. This period is a minefield.

If foreign coins were included, the list would be even longer.

If it was girls you wanted on yer coins, you should've just let us know, there's no shame in it? There's a couple of home-grown birds out there...1500's, 1700's, 1900's, or even a bit o decimal Liz if you like? I've already got TWO spare 2005 5p's if you want one? :P

Pretty coins, really...why French, though?

LOL I think I'll pass on the 5ps for now thanks!

It's not just French though, that's just where I started! It's Marianne. Or rather a female figure wearing (or carrying) a Phrygian cap. She's "an icon of freedom and democracy against all forms of dictatorship." Marianne typically symbolised Liberty, Reason, the Nation, the Homeland, the civic virtues of the Republic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne

As such she's not just confined to French coins. She also appears on some Portuguese ones, as well as colonies such as New Caledonia, Polynesia. Plus there were many nations inspired by revolutionary fervour, so as well as the Argentinian Dos Centavos I bought there are ones from Chile and other Central American countries. The cap alone appears on Mexican coins. And of course, Marianne, as Liberty features on quite a few American coins.

Depending on what I think of my purchases when they arrive I have my eyes on this:

aT7Sq9WsjX735qFJQ46tpA2985EdoN.jpg

Or how about this?

fwo_318183.jpg

And I've been looking at US 'capped bust' cents too.

I haven't decided whether to restrict myself to Marianne/Liberty. There are coins with a similar figure but on study she turns out to be Ceres or The Republic. And some coins have just the 'Liberty cap' .. I'm less inclined to include those, but ...

Yes, I know it's no different from collecting coins with cats on or octagonal ones (do many of those exist?) but it has long been on my mind to find a cheap sideline collecting theme and suddenly this one occurred to me. I must be feeling rebellious in my old age or something! Vive la révolution!

:lol:

Edited by TomGoodheart
  • Like 1

A cheap sideline is a satisfying solution to both your problem of locating and/or affording hammered pieces, and my problem of not having enough money full-stop!

A theme such as the one you've chosen is an attractive one, especially if you can accumulate a pretty collection cheaply! I like it TG! :)

Could be a continuance of my small hammered copper farthing 'gathering', or maybe the milled farthing series in general, or possibly stick with year sets, maybe Edward pennies...oh I don't know? Blinking coins!

A cheap sideline is a satisfying solution to both your problem of locating and/or affording hammered pieces, and my problem of not having enough money full-stop!

A theme such as the one you've chosen is an attractive one, especially if you can accumulate a pretty collection cheaply! I like it TG! :)

Could be a continuance of my small hammered copper farthing 'gathering', or maybe the milled farthing series in general, or possibly stick with year sets, maybe Edward pennies...oh I don't know? Blinking coins!

I think this (for me) satisfies in a number of areas. There's less opportunity for Wifey to say "but they all look the same!"

There are different sizes and metals, but the 'theme' goes back early enough to include some coins that, like Georgian coppers here, were not a model of perfection even fresh from the mint. There's a bit of history to learn about. And as you say, so far it hasn't been expensive. That has to be a good thing!

Portuguese 20 Centavos. 23mm CuNi.

post-129-0-26938200-1391810973_thumb.jpg

Well, my little selection arrived from France today and I'm generally pleased! Not bad for an order placed Wednesday evening.

I guess my only niggle observation, in case it helps anyone else in future, is that cgb.fr use stock photos.

I evidently missed the drop down for quantities when I bought. In practice that means that I received the Argentinian Dos Centavos I picked, as it was evidently the only one.

However the TTB 54 1848 centime was not the coin pictured in the listing. While in the hand it looks decent, although it has a bit of original lustre there's a pinkishness to it that I associate with a quick clean. And there are a few more green spots visible under a lens than the one I thought I was choosing! Sadly, it was the most expensive, ... at £10. :P

The 1939 2F has a tiny spot on the obv, also not on the photo for that grade. On the plus(er) side, the 1948 10F and 1992 1F are better than the photos with less bag marks! So no disaster and a lesson learnt.

Now I guess I need to decide about what sort of budget I want to free up for future purchases!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Colombia, 1 Centavo 1952. Nickel clad steel, 2g, 17mm:

post-129-0-23857600-1391909773_thumb.jpg

none of those are that rare though.

if you want French, dont buy from france itself, can usualy be picked up here far cheaper.

none of those are that rare though.

if you want French, dont buy from france itself, can usualy be picked up here far cheaper.

It was just the convenience of buying a few coins all at once Scott! As for rarity, I'm not too worried about that, I just want nice examples. Though buying 'away from home' is right. I was looking at Barber dimes and half dollars. They can be picked up for a lot less if you don't buy from the US!

Et, un autre:

french-20-francs-1938_zps26b2df2f.jpg

Silver (well, 0.68) 20 Francs. 35mm and 20g, so a bit chunkier than the others. Didn't think just under £16 including shipping was too bad. Particularly as it's coming from the other side of the world :D

Edited by TomGoodheart

Trouble with the CGB site is so many nice coins in stock, you always end up buying something, couldn't resist this one for such a wacky design

fjt_07085.jpg

Jeton for the Municipal Administration of Paris 1583, brass 28mm

I like the King, urging on his unicorns (?)!

I guess the only problem I'm having so far is shipping costs have generally been equal to the price of the coin(s)! Which is fine if I factor it in. But it makes me hesitate to pick up the odd coin here and there for a couple of quid. Shame there isn't the equivalent of Amazon's free Super Saver dispatch. Or a way to combine purchases from several different dealers!

And I was just wondering whether you, Scott and I can keep this thread going to the extent of the British New Acquisitions one? After all, only another 280 pages to go!

Edited by TomGoodheart

I like the King, urging on his unicorns (?)!

"Déesse couronnant une ville, et traînée dans un char par deux licornes"

I translate as a "Goddess crowning the City, while in a chariot pulled by two unicorns"

I can understand the obverse reference to the Rebels, this is during the Wars of Religion, Paris would subsequently fall to the Hugenots; Henri III would die later retaking the City, But the significance of the unicorns defeats me

Postage costs not to bad for me as bought 2 books at the same time

Not mine, but a couple of oddities I chanced across. First money of necessity (I believe). Struck at Bolton's Soho mint for use in France:

bry_288931.jpg

And the next .. er, dunno. Lead or tin apparently. For Bolivia. Presumably a medal, but using a familiar obv design:

14640_1208_france_med_0002.jpg

Anyone know any different, feel free to enlighten me!

Sheesh. I mention Bolton AND it's a copper coin .. c'mon guys, I'm doing my best here!

Edited by TomGoodheart