British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

Very nice :) Jamcol is often at the Midland coin fair but only tends to bring slabbed stuff with him.

Edited by Nonmortuus

A nice coin Peter, and like Paulus says a really good price! And there I was thinking you hated us penny boys :P 

If you can't beat the 1d boys join em.:)I did notice the thread for 1d's but didn't want to get tarred with the same brush. I got a great discount and extremely happy.

The majority of my 1d's 1895-1967 are UNC or there abouts apart from the obvious key dates.I have also secured a few quality Edward V11 1/2d's from across the pond.So there is life after 1/4d's....well sort of. I've got my DIY and Car hats on at present, trouble is I have scratched my left eye and DIY has been banned until this heals.

• Like 1

Nooooo don't do it!!! :o

Sigh posted in wring thread :)

Edited by Nonmortuus

1036387.jpg

very nice 1810 2 kopek

1036269.jpg

Rarest Variety of 1731 kopeck, having 1 line between denga and date (most common being 2 and no line being rare)

1036266.jpg

1036265.jpg

couple more cheap buys, clipped planchet denga and a clear overstrike 1731 polushka

• Like 1

Nice Russian material.

Here is a AV 3/4 Dukat 1745 from Imperial City of Frankfurt commerating the election of Franz I as the new Holy Roman Emperor.

John

john photos 1 011 (Medium).jpg

john photos 1 013 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

On 6.2.2016 at 10:32 PM, 1949threepence said:

So what's the background to these latest coins, ChKy? How rare/common are they, and what is the demand for them amongst collectors in Germany? 

The background of these coins is the transition from so called "Altdeutschland" (German states prior formation of the German empire in 1871) and the the imperial coinage. It is the transition from predecimal to decimal currency system. Before 1871 people in Germany had a complicated exchange system of various state currencies. The common background was the silver standard shared by almost all German states. Germany switched from silver standard to gold standard in 1873. I wrote & published an article about this time periode. It is written in German. In case anyone is interested and able to understand the text, fell free to contact me for pdf.

These coins are well sought after in high grade. Usually they can be found in poor condition. German states and German empire are classical collectors fields for advanced coin collectors. The prices dropped during the past years, you can purchase these for a fraction compared to British counterparts of that age and condition. Now it is a good time to make bargains, but the market will be empty soon I guess...

Edited by ChKy
  • Like 2

J003-1889A_zpskwcaac0p.jpg

5 Pfennig 1889 A

Berlin Mint

Cu-Ni

Jaeger No. 003

J005-1875A_zpsexhfhnzc.jpg

20 Pfennig 1875 A

Berlin Mint

0.900 silver

Jaeger No. 005

J010-1900G_zpsdzmuu9ml.jpg

1 Pfennig 1900 G

Karlsruhe Mint

Bronze

Jaeger No. 010

J010-1907J_zpsclkwk4nx.jpg

1 Pfennig 1907 J

Hamburg Mint

Bronze

Jaeger No. 010

• Like 1

France , Louis XVIII , 20 Francs 1815 , struck in London during the famous 100 days .

unfortunatly I can't take better picture ..

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

• Like 1

Cracking coin and dateB)

On 31 maggio 2016 at 3:25 PM, Peter said:

Cracking coin and dateB)

Yes indeed ... I looked for one of them in high conservation and good price for a couple of years for my collection of marenghi ( how do you say in English ?) ...Now finally I find it .. 

Marenghi are not really known by many UK collectors.

The Marengo/Marenghi is an Italian coin minted from 21.6ct gold and contains 5.8 grams of pure gold. 

The 20 Lire coin was produced between 1861 and 1927 under the reign of three Italian kings. 

On 2/6/2016 at 2:26 AM, bagerap said:

Marenghi are not really known by many UK collectors.

The Marengo/Marenghi is an Italian coin minted from 21.6ct gold and contains 5.8 grams of pure gold. 

The 20 Lire coin was produced between 1861 and 1927 under the reign of three Italian kings. 

this is the first marengo ( from wikipedia )  . It was struck after the battle of marengo. 

The 20 lire were struck in Italy also before 1861 in the kingdom of Sardinia as they were struck in all the states that were part of the Latin monetaru union.

Marengo_90002298.jpg

This is the original from which so many jetons and tokens were struck. It is those that I collect, the gold is too expensive. 

If I'm right, the A. L. shows that the example above was struck in Torino under Amedeo Lavy (Eng. Amadeo Levy)

01Kreuzer1885_zpsetorv4ga.jpg

Austria

1 Kreuzer 1885

Franz-Joseph

Bronze

quite common coin, but nice condition...

Preussen-03Pfennig1870C_zpsdwjv0qh7.jpg

Prussia

3 Pfennig 1870 C

Frankfurt mint

Wilhelm I

Copper

J003-1874A_zpsv7kzomrk.jpg

5 Pfennig 1874 A

Berlin Mint

Cu-Ni

Jaeger No. 003

uncirculated, double strike (seen at "5")

Pleased with this one. :)

Luxembourg 10 centimes 1870 (3).jpg