British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

Well here it is, it's uniface

Interesting. Is that Elizabeth I?

Aha. Bit more info here: http://www.pccoinsandcollectables.com/product.php?cat_id=6&sub_id=62&pro_id=460

Very atypical portrait, even though we don't really know what she looked like (she was hyper-controlling of her image, would put Disney to shame :D ).

Aha. Bit more info here: http://www.pccoinsandcollectables.com/product.php?cat_id=6&sub_id=62&pro_id=460

Very atypical portrait, even though we don't really know what she looked like (she was hyper-controlling of her image, would put Disney to shame :D ).

I was wondering about Elizabeth's control over the images on her coins only a couple of days ago! I've got two sixpences on the way, with more diametrically opposing busts you'll never find (4B & 6C), talk of princess meets the hulk!

I bought them to cut the busts out for 'RESEARCH,' honest, so will post the pair up as soon as...shocking stuff, Bust 6C is definitely a watershed image!

I was wondering about Elizabeth's control over the images on her coins only a couple of days ago! I've got two sixpences on the way, with more diametrically opposing busts you'll never find (4B & 6C), talk of princess meets the hulk!

I bought them to cut the busts out for 'RESEARCH,' honest, so will post the pair up as soon as...shocking stuff, Bust 6C is definitely a watershed image!

They say her network of spies, informers, and "secret police" were the most widespread ever known. On the other hand her reign was by far the most stable of the Tudors, so maybe there was something to be said for her 'control freakery'.

£18 seems cheap.

Their coins seem a tad on the expensive side and crap :o

A tad??? Only seen such overpriced crap on eBay until now!!!

£18 seems cheap.

I can remember in the good old Ebay days they were worried about being raped.We must all remember that a coin correctly pictured will reach it's zenith or what the market will pay on a particular day.I start everything at 99p.When you see prats listing £5 coins with the comment of no reserve (£50) I just ignore.

I spend too much time on searching Ebay but I still find some gems....and you must admit it is handy.

I bought a smashing gunmetal shilling for £25 the seller was not happy but said he had sold a bloody puffin coin for twice that...swings and roundabouts.That is why my trips to the Midland put everything into perspective.To all newbies use your dealers.You could wipe out farthings 1956 to 1920 in UNC for a fraction of Ebay costs.I now mainly search for varieties being tempted on a few others...sometimes. :)

£18 seems cheap.

I can remember in the good old Ebay days they were worried about being raped.We must all remember that a coin correctly pictured will reach it's zenith or what the market will pay on a particular day.I start everything at 99p.When you see prats listing £5 coins with the comment of no reserve (£50) I just ignore.

I spend too much time on searching Ebay but I still find some gems....and you must admit it is handy.

I bought a smashing gunmetal shilling for £25 the seller was not happy but said he had sold a bloody puffin coin for twice that...swings and roundabouts.That is why my trips to the Midland put everything into perspective.To all newbies use your dealers.You could wipe out farthings 1956 to 1920 in UNC for a fraction of Ebay costs.I now mainly search for varieties being tempted on a few others...sometimes. :)

'Ere, what you got against the 1919 then? I always thought that was one of the commonest Geo V farthings!

£18 seems cheap.

'Ere, what you got against the 1919 then? I always thought that was one of the commonest Geo V farthings!

Peck I was rounding.Before 1920 you get into the realms of 1918 (bright/dark) 1914,15 varieties etc (someone rattled your cage today?)

£18 seems cheap.

Peck I was rounding.Before 1920 you get into the realms of 1918 (bright/dark) 1914,15 varieties etc (someone rattled your cage today?)

Nah. It's just that - dark 1918 excepted of course - all the farthings from 1917 are pretty common. Or were! Perhaps things have changed.

Certainly different.

pity it isn't gold or platinum :)

They only did these in Gold/Silver and Bronze. 200 Gold, 1500 Silver and 2000 Bronze, then the dies were apparently destroyed under supervision according to the little booklet that came with it

Proof, if ever it were needed, that there is a God!

£92 it finished ar, so i'm kinda happy with that :)

Certainly different.

pity it isn't gold or platinum :)

They only did these in Gold/Silver and Bronze. 200 Gold, 1500 Silver and 2000 Bronze, then the dies were apparently destroyed under supervision according to the little booklet that came with it

Proof, if ever it were needed, that there is a God!

£92 it finished ar, so i'm kinda happy with that :)

Happy? You should buy 92 lottery tickets! I'm not trying to have a go at you Dave but it really was a hideous piece of tat. Just goes to show how fickle the ebay buyers can be at times.

I see your 1997 Britannia achieved a spectacular result as well? For an uncased coin without a COA from the 4 coin set that was another jaw dropper.

Agreed on both counts John, the medal was hideous, the buyers name was chaplin something from Madrid. There are 2 other 1997s in the bay, 1 at £260 BIN and the other £235 BIN both also without certificates etc, so i guess mine was

The cheaper Option. I thought it would finish ar around

The £150 mark but the buyer bidded a few hours bedore the end and obviously wanted it as the underbidder was winning up until sunday and tried a few more bids at the end.

Medal was sitting ar £21.50 with 4 seconds to go and my jaw dropped when it shot up like that. Now i just need a lottery Shop and a £1

I think the price of 1997 Britannia sets just went up! :D

My mate collects the Britannias and he said he paid £190 for his. 2 years ago. It was an awfy nice picture though ;)

You going fishing on the Tay this year? Got a week over there in September

My mate collects the Britannias and he said he paid £190 for his. 2 years ago. It was an awfy nice picture though ;)

Lodge and beat booked for week of 1st October. 7 days and nights without screaming kids (sadly probably without screaming reels as well but worth it for the peace!). Glenlivet is already stockpiled and order for Cuban cigars about to be placed ;)

Am over the 15th Sept

Lodge and beat booked for week of 1st October. 7 days and nights without screaming kids (sadly probably without screaming reels as well but worth it for the peace!). Glenlivet is already stockpiled and order for Cuban cigars about to be placed ;)

Glenlivet? Ahh, for that smoky aroma of Talisker, my all time favourite autumnal drink! Ouzo for Greece! :)

Glenlivet? Ahh, for that smoky aroma of Talisker, my all time favourite autumnal drink! Ouzo for Greece! :)

Ouzo? Now you're talking!

Ouzo? Now you're talking!

Just ice! ;)

My cousins favourite, his description "it's like licking an ashtray"

"it's like licking an ashtray"

:o Eeeeewwwww!!

Thanks for that, John! Hopefully I'll be able to put that thought out of my head before I next squeeze the cork out! ;)

Thanks for that, John! Hopefully I'll be able to put that thought out of my head before I next squeeze the cork out! ;)

Now now Stuart, what a man does in the confines of his own home should remain private! :D

Now now Stuart, what a man does in the confines of his own home should remain private! :D

:D

No pics of my actual coins (my phone's SD card is acting up...) but here are some of the things I've bought with pictures to show what they look like:

Marisa Theresa Thaler, anyone else have one of these? They are restrikes dated 1780 and still minted today. You can buy it for bullion and they're neat coins with raised edge lettering (think of the old crowns) and you can get the level of wear you want. I've got one I got about a year ago in sharp BU (the edge lettering nearly cuts your fingers!) but the one I picked up today is quite a bit more worn, although it is a modern variety produced in quantity from 1853-present.

1780-maria-theresa-silver-thaler.png

RaiseEdge.jpg

Picked up a US proof silver dollar, nothing special about it, but it was shiny so I ended up buying it :P Plus it isn't as hideous as most modern commemoratives.

https://store.nwtmint.com/images/products/3189__orig.jpg

Bought a 1967 Canadian half dollar, kinda interesting, 80% silver, mine is proof-ish, its got some weird toning on it, but I like my bullion to have some color to it.

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/52559_Obv.jpg

Got a few other things, a 1847 5 franc (French), an Italian 1875 5L, a 1905 key date 50 centisimo Panama coin, and a Spanish coin with the same size as the 5 Franc and 5 Lira coin. Picked up a 1901 US V nickel and 1960 1/2 Franc (Swiss) too. Along with my bag of 31 silver threepence.