British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

So Peter do you still get given a coin? :)

So Peter do you still get given a coin? :)

Years ago a large group of aquaintance's got together and formed a club (OIC)it stood for over indulgence club.It worked to an extent but Mrs Peter wasn't too happy.(Partners were invited to a do once a year) ;)

It is not running now but favouritism still exists.

I am aware of the Buffs more than Masons but have never taken that further step.

Keep posting the Masonic items...very interesting and opens interesting google subjects :)

Keep posting the Masonic items...very interesting and opens interesting google subjects :)

Here is one for you Peter. Cannot remember where this came from. Weight 11.68g Diameter 31.9mm 2mm thick.

post-439-076959400 1336307953_thumb.jpg

Here is one for you Peter. Cannot remember where this came from. Weight 11.68g Diameter 31.9mm 2mm thick.

Nice

It happened and always will happen.I now look at the wider perspective. If the £ isn't too different I will always buy Suffolk,East Anglian,English,British,Western Europe,Commonwealth in that order.

My exceptions are Label Rouge French products.(even if those armpits smell and the majority are soap dodgers) :P

Thanks for that info Bagtrap - how did you come up with that user name? :) I did wonder what the letters stood for. How long have the Masons been going, does anyone know?

Peck I'm sure that's not the secret handshake!

I think they trace their "lineage" back to the Knights Templar, which was in the time of those awfully nice Crusader people.

Here's something I picked up a few days ago for about £2. It's 14 mm diameter and appears to be tin or another soft alloy. It was sold as British, but obviously isn't, probably because of the flag. It's a bit macabre because of the arrow through the skull. Anybody got a clue what it is? It was bought from Thailand.

Reverse is in the next post.

post-692-067840300 1337701211_thumb.jpg

And here's the reverse.

Not got a clue! Could be from a group fighting for independence from Britain as the Imperial power, is that a word to the right of the flag?

The only similar flag I can think of is from the Basque Region of Spain -

268px-Flag_of_the_Basque_Country.svg.png

? an ETA medal or a Spanish Civil War token

David

Edited by davidrj

Sorry I'm not much help, but I do sympathise. I find it so frustrating when I am unable to date a coin never mind identify it. :ph34r:

Not got a clue!

You could try post a picture here they've helped me with a couple of problem coins

Not got a clue!

You could try post a picture here they've helped me with a couple of problem coins

Thanks for this advice. I'm trying to post the pictures there, but am having some difficulty as I don't use a photo hosting site.

Not got a clue!

Thanks for this advice. I'm trying to post the pictures there, but am having some difficulty as I don't use a photo hosting site.

Photobucket is the favourite one around here - it's free though you have to register. Also Image Shack is another free option. On both sites you can make your pictures private view only (i.e. you share the links to them only where you want, e.g. this forum.)

Its British, but not a coin :ph34r: Am i banished now? Not sure if its a Bernhard forgery yet...

post-5057-023771900 1338852587_thumb.jpg

A nice silver French Jeton just purchased. 30mm

post-5057-082300100 1339953458_thumb.jpg

Edited by azda

Its British, but not a coin :ph34r: Am i banished now? Not sure if its a Bernhard forgery yet...

You certainly cast a very wide net, Dave! Where on earth do you start with paper money?

You certainly cast a very wide net, Dave! Where on earth do you start with paper money?

I basically got it for its history. Its an operation Bernhard forgery and the serial was'nt noted for this date. It has been now. Just missed an original white isse Tenner in an auction :ph34r: from 1935, bugger!!!!!

Edited by azda

I basically got it for its history. Its an operation Bernhard forgery and the serial was'nt noted for this date. It has been now. Just missed an original white isse Tenner in an auction :ph34r: from 1935, bugger!!!!!

All totally over my head! Though I did once, a long time ago, decide if Ed7 had any notes, I would collect them! I still don't know to this day whether he did or not?

All totally over my head! Though I did once, a long time ago, decide if Ed7 had any notes, I would collect them! I still don't know to this day whether he did or not?

Operation Bernhard was basically the Nazis attempt to destabilise the British Economy by flooding it with counterfit notes during the war. They were apparently some of the best fakes ever produced. Google or wikipedia it, great story. Oh and ED VII era did produce notes.I did pay over the odds for that note, dip the toe lightly. Creases, folds tears are not good to the note fraternity, even pin pricks lol

Edited by azda

Also be aware of ironed notes.

A while back I was hunting down £1 & 10/- notes including replacements and used Rotographics excellent little book.It all started when a fine art auctioneer and a good mate gave me an unopened 1940 wage packet....happy days as it contained UNC 1933 1d's ;) I would like a white fiver but the Ebay route would seem a bit dodgy.You can get some nice 1940-1980 notes though...check the feedbacks.

Also be aware of ironed notes.

A while back I was hunting down £1 & 10/- notes including replacements and used Rotographics excellent little book.It all started when a fine art auctioneer and a good mate gave me an unopened 1940 wage packet....happy days as it contained UNC 1933 1d's ;) I would like a white fiver but the Ebay route would seem a bit dodgy.You can get some nice 1940-1980 notes though...check the feedbacks.

When I was still dealing I picked up a lot of those 60s blue fivers (around a dozen) for about face value, perhaps a bit more. When I got them home, I saw that one was prefixed M ! Small provincial auctions have their uses - I bet that wouldn't have been missed in London or W&W.

Semirechie (Turkestan) Cash coin of ruler Wahshutawa, 8th century.

post-6657-011581700 1340064844_thumb.jpg

Arrived

P6210582.jpg

P6210584.jpg

WOW :P

WOW :P

Surely, Peter, you meant

www.photobucket.com/WOW

:D

Edited by Peckris

Nice Chinese HuoQuan 'cake' coin with remains of the casting sprue. Weights 12 gr. which is about four times a normal coin. These were probably produced at the end or after the fall of Wang Mang's regime 9-23 AD.

post-6657-016130300 1340406742_thumb.jpg