British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

Sweden again - 4 daler 1734, PM#74. 3122g.

DSCF9216.JPG

• Like 2

been picking up a few farthings, this one cost me a quid, is this a collectible grade ?   or do you lot go for uncirculated ? what grade would you put this into ? heads side looks better than the tails 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

For a quid, it doesn't really matter that it has light wear and a bit of verdigris in the border teeth. If in doubt, get two - one unc, one not

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

For a quid, it doesn't really matter that it has light wear and a bit of verdigris in the border teeth. If in doubt, get two - one unc, one not

dont think i've seen any unc ones, not been lookng much though, 

Unc 20th century farthings are always available. A particular year might not necessarily be to hand, but you shouldn't have to wait long for one to turn up if you look hard enough.

• Like 1

You can usually pick one up with lustre for around a tenner - IMHO not worth bothering with in lower than VF but loads think different - not an investment for £1 but a bit of fun

• Like 1

I picked these up in auction last month. A couple of small Spanish colonial coins from Lima - pictured below with a farthing to give an idea of the size.

I find very amusing that these little coins are tiny miniaturisations of the larger 8R with practically the same design and details - and even the elaborate edge detail that was done turning the coin between two parallel linear dies. Such an awful amount of work! As the mints were paid on the basis of weight of silver minted, there was little incentive to mint small coins and these are quite hard to find in good condition.

The vast majority of the silver mined in America at the time was used to mint 8-reales, often meant to be sent to Spain or for the trans-pacific trade. In particular and looking at these two little ones, in 1755 in Lima it was recorded 55,686 kilos of silver minted into coins, of which 53,111 were made into 8Rs and 4Rs and the rest (less than 5%) was left for smaller change - 2Rs, 1R, 1/2R

mini columnarios.jpg

1755 1R Lima canto.jpg1755 mR Lima canto.jpg

• Like 1

These are the two, for completeness of the previous post

1755 mR Lima.jpg1755 1R Lima.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/21/2015 at 4:20 AM, scott said:

1029819.jpg

1603 2 maravedis

I have a few old spanish coins. I think I have one of these..I am struggling to read the date though. I had some 8 Maravedis coins, later than this one though. One was in quite nice condition..F/VF maybe. I sold that one a while back. They are nice coins these old spanish ones. I have some pirate cobs which are interesting coins too.

nice 1927 halfcrown, some toning but got it rather cheap 

P1000967111.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

John short cross penny

Ilger London

Class 5c

azl7.jpg

• Like 4

Don't forget this thread is for NON British coins, there is another one for UK coins. But both nice coins above.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Don't forget this thread is for NON British coins, there is another one for UK coins. But both nice coins above.

Jerry

Sorry. Didn't realise. Someone should start one for Hammered acquisitions. It took me 10 mins to find this thread. 

Edited by Ukstu

Not normally my thing but silver and selling @ melt be rude not too :)

1978silver500lireobv-tile.jpg

14 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

sorry was not aware, my bad ;0) 

15 hours ago, craigy said:

sorry was not aware, my bad ;0) 

Your bad semi-colon zero closing parenthesis? There's a doctor for that somewhere.......

Nice little lot all @Melt Vatican City Pope commems . Again not really my thing but silver and cheap as chips be rude not to B)

WIN_20171109_10_51_40_Pro-tile.jpg

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, zookeeperz said:

Nice little lot all @Melt Vatican City Pope commems . Again not really my thing but silver and cheap as chips be rude not to B)

Only just noticed this post zoo, they're all nice but really like the second from the left

• Like 1

I know I see a lot of things on coins that well could be something or could be nothing. For me that's the exciting part as was with this coin. 1959 Irish Halfcrown Is one of my favourite Coin designs. Now I know the pic is of a horrible colour but then again how many are not? that being said and I just put it down to bad lighting and the wrong use of correction tools.

Looking beyond all that I notice a PM mint mark high above the tail of the horse along with the normal one below the line under the back hooves. The coin arrives and suddenly that PM is no longer there. Kind of annoying if it was done on purpose deceive but possibly due to the picture being so horrible in colour a double exposure of some kind?

1959hc-horz.jpg

The left one has had some retouching, I'd suggest that a cloning-tool mishap created the upper PM, and in the left image there is a circle from a softening or blur tool between the head and the C, also some larger scratches are not visible in the left, but the damage to the rim seems consistent.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
  • Like 1

I thought seeing as I still have the pictures from some of my Non English Coinage I thought I would share some of the weird and wonderful coins from other countries. I have far too many lol. Hope you Like them

SA2.jpg

SA3.jpg

SA1.jpg

SA4.jpg

• Like 2