British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

A curious way of giving change when you only have a big coin...

1790s 8R cortada.jpg

Time honoured tradition that goes back a thousand years before this one ;)

Swedish 1 daler plate, 1746. 715g of madness. :D

Sweden 1 daler 1746 (3).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know you mentioned it last week Jon ......unusual but what is it ?.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

I know you mentioned it last week Jon ......unusual but what is it ?.

Here's what it says in Krause's Standard Catalog of World Coins Pete:

"The Kingdom of Sweden issued copper plate money, heavy and cumbersome square or rectangular coins ranging in size up to about 13 by 25 inches down to less than 3 by 3 inches, from 1644 to 1776. The kingdom was poor in silver and gold but had rich copper resources. The coins were designed to contain copper bullion in the value of the silver coins they replaced, and were denominated as one, two, four, etc. dalers in silver mint or silver coin.
Although sometimes classed with odd and curious money these were legal tender coins of the realm and although used and exported as bullion, they circulated domestically and were essential in the commerce of Sweden and Finland for more than a century."

Mine was made from cannon bronze but they are also found in copper. The biggest was a 10 daler at almost 20kg. This one's my copper ½ daler from 1743. Unsurprisingly, Sweden were the first country in Europe to introduce banknotes. :lol:

Sweden ½ daler 1743 (1).JPG

• Like 2

It's difficult to imagine a cabinet tray equipped to take them. However, there must be a sweet point where the size of the plate fits the cabinet exactly, and thus you have a tray with 5 holes to take coins as per your picture.

40 minutes ago, Rob said:

It's difficult to imagine a cabinet tray equipped to take them. However, there must be a sweet point where the size of the plate fits the cabinet exactly, and thus you have a tray with 5 holes to take coins as per your picture.

They'd take a cartwheel penny quite nicely. :)

25 minutes ago, Rob said:

Go for it.

I've only got one. :(

29 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I've only got one. :(

It would make a decent set if you put together a P1132 with 10 leaves, P1133 with 11 leaves and incuse dots, P1133A as previous but with raised dots, and an example of each of the unadopted obverse and reverse designs. :)

Just now, Rob said:

It would make a decent set if you put together a P1132 with 10 leaves, P1133 with 11 leaves and incuse dots, P1133A as previous but with raised dots, and an example of each of the unadopted obverse and reverse designs. :)

I would like to but I've spent all my cash on a tray for them, apparently. :D

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I would like to but I've spent all my cash on a tray for them, apparently. :D

Know the feeling. I went to view the DNW lots before the sale. Missed the 4pm cutoff for using my off-peak return ticket, then spent the coin fund on a non-numismatic book whilst waiting for the 7 o'clock :huh::blink: Oh well.......

This has been very quiet lately...

I will post a classic piece I bought last month. Nothing extraordinary about it - If it had a George III stamp it would be worth 5 times more!

1803 8R Mexico.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leo said:

This has been very quiet lately...

I will post a classic piece I bought last month. Nothing extraordinary about it - If it had a George III stamp it would be worth 5 times more!

1803 8R Mexico.jpg

Iconic coin and very appealing  design. I am hoping to get an 8 reales in high grade at some point. 

I'd love something like this, but afraid out of my price range...

The good thing of being such popular coins is that they are very liquid and can be bought and sold virtually anywhere, and their price is fairly stable. That gives a peace of mind.

The bad thing is that you will have to fight for every one of them in auctions and the chinese are buying many now. Not to mention americans - as these coins were legal tender in the US their collectors are avid for them.

Couple of nice trial strikes. :)

Bolivia 1 centavo 1883 essai (3).jpg

Bolivia 2 centavos 1883 essai (3).jpg

• Like 2

The reverse die of the centavo broke nicely! Good it was a trial

10 minutes ago, Leo said:

The reverse die of the centavo broke nicely! Good it was a trial

Interestingly, the picture in my edition of Krause shows the same die cracks.

Bolivia 1 centavo 1883 essai (Krause).JPG

That is very interesting. It could be the same die in just slightly different degree of deterioration. Do you know the mintage figure?

Incidentally, they are very nice. Lovely acquisition.

6 minutes ago, Leo said:

That is very interesting. It could be the same die in just slightly different degree of deterioration. Do you know the mintage figure?

Incidentally, they are very nice. Lovely acquisition.

There's no mintage listed in Krause so I don't know. I wouldn't have thought it would be particularly high though, so I'm a bit surprised by the extent of the die cracks.

The thing with trial strikes is that they are a bit of an unknown.

If you look at the decimal patterns of the late 1850s, many of the flans laminated. The striking pressures will be different for the previous issue of copper pennies compared to that required for the thinner bronze equivalent. In the case of the 1/20th of a shilling pattern halfpenny, all known examples have this defect as does the unique F689 and probably other things struck on a flan of similar thickness.

What cannot be known or appreciated by the layman is the number of unpublished failures suffered before they got it right. Anything that failed to make adopted status will be frozen in time, so a cracked die remains just that.

img973.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 1:20 AM, mrbadexample said:

Couple of nice trial strikes. :)

Bolivia 2 centavos 1883 essai (3).jpg

Circulation issue of the above, with privy marks for Paris mint. A single year type difficult in high grade

Km.168 2 Centavos 1883 A (2).jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davidrj said:

Circulation issue of the above, with privy marks for Paris mint. A single year type difficult in high grade

Do you know if the trials were also minted in Paris David? I had made that assumption but don't know if it's correct.

48 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Do you know if the trials were also minted in Paris David? I had made that assumption but don't know if it's correct.

my assumption too, i wonder if a specialized Bolivian catalogue exists with more info

Not my photo thankfully.. Bought this for peanuts awaiting its arrival. Scarce Variety Obverse 1 1884 Cent. 

1884reverse-tile.jpg