British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

J012-1909E_zpsw5sxonjn.jpg

5 Pfennig 1909 E

Muldenhütten Mint

Cu-Ni

Jaeger No. 012

early strike, NOTE: In Anglo-Saxon publications as well as on certification slabs such a coin is described as ultra cameo proof very often. This is NOT a proof coin. This coin was produced with freshly manufactured dies instead. This is the reason for that high degree of contrast. The appearance of genuine proof coins from that time period can be compared with British proof coins minted and packed in the 1970ties...

PS Purchased that for 15 Euro, a chummy coin dealer wanted to do me some favour :D

Edited by ChKy

J010-1896E_zpsl31fa8pf.jpg

1 Pfennig 1896 E

Muldenhütten Mint

Bronze

Jaeger No. 010

J313-1929E_zpsd633a29z.jpg

1 Pfennig 1929 E

Muldenhütten Mint

Bronze

Jaeger No. 313

I've just won both of these cut/ countermarked West Indies coins.

British Honduras 6 Shillings 1 pence

796AB696-937A-4ED7-8583-AD937FC80F77.jpe

0E3EAA50-2633-4ECB-AF6E-6D8E9175D732.jpg

dominica 1 1/2 bits (Moco) which is the sit part from a Spanish dollar.

013CDAAC-E5F8-416B-A761-AC6780E3A929.jpg

DFFB899F-B58D-4E35-BD77-623C69F542AD.jpe

• Like 2

1037613.jpg

in a bulk lot.. A.M is a rare mint, and an overdate on top.

is that russian , scott?

My last acquisition ,

Moncastro , tartar asper countermarked

2251755l.jpg

On 6/11/2016 at 1:20 AM, scott said:

yes it is.

Is there any explanation for the popularity of Russian coins? The coppers always seem to go for good money and I want a nice polushka without paying a bleedin' fortune for it. :(

Americans want them.

Polushka can be got quite cheap, if you get the 1730-1750's

• Like 1

Repubblica Genovese ( Genoese republic )

Genova ( Genoa mint )

10 Soldi 1814

gallery_25167_1237_812.jpg

gallery_25167_1237_1535.jpg

• Like 1

We don't seem to have a slot for British Colonies so I guess these belong here. Picked up yesterday in a job lot - not had any of them in hand before:

Gibraltar 2 Quarts 1842/1

Essquibo & Demerary 1 Stiver 1813

St Helena Halfpenny 1821

3 Odd Colonies 1.jpg

3 Odd Colonies 2.jpg

• Like 1

A st helena halfpenny ? The place probably only had about twenty people living there unless you include napolean , not sure why they did not just use english coppers and silver .

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

We don't seem to have a slot for British Colonies so I guess these belong here. Picked up yesterday in a job lot - not had any of them in hand before:

Gibraltar 2 Quarts 1842/1

Essquibo & Demerary 1 Stiver 1813

St Helena Halfpenny 1821

3 Odd Colonies 1.jpg

3 Odd Colonies 2.jpg

All ones I'm after, and I've seen a lot worse than those. :)

I have a slightly battered I Stiver thingy! Willing to sell and open to offers, must focus better (on what I buy)! :)

1813_1_stiver_british_guyana_05_1600.jpg

Edited by Paulus

57 minutes ago, copper123 said:

A st helena halfpenny ? The place probably only had about twenty people living there unless you include napolean , not sure why they did not just use english coppers and silver .

Sorry for rattling your cage - I only posted images of the thing, I didn't make it. :)

quite a lot of local issue currency around that time for everywhere, even the french did it for their Caribbean territories

plus its an important stop off for shipping, and its east india company as well, therefore cant use British currency

The uglyest portrait of george the third I ever saw paulus - I know he was very ill at the time though

No good picture to show, but I just got on the Bay of E, a 1984 Belize Specimen set that was heretofore unknown (as are ANY other FM specimen sets of 1984). This looked to have just had a spot in Krause for convenience but had not seen one since issue!

• Like 2

I should add that the packaging, wallet and coins are the same as earlier sets with PL "currency" issue pieces. Purchase price: USD 29.95; I try to think what might have been paid in an open auction rather than "buy it now" - maybe 20x or more that price in all likelihood. Certainly not up to Dave's wonderful recent halfpenny with "A"!

1039629.jpg

1936 J :D £7.90... not a price I would pay for a 2 marks of this type.... and not A price I expected to pay for a mark of this year+MM :D

Edited by scott
  • Like 1

Not something I would normally buy, but since I am a Seafarer thought I would indulge myself, and help the charity a bit.

Seafarers Coin.jpg

On 31/10/2016 at 7:59 AM, VickySilver said:

No good picture to show, but I just got on the Bay of E, a 1984 Belize Specimen set that was heretofore unknown (as are ANY other FM specimen sets of 1984). This looked to have just had a spot in Krause for convenience but had not seen one since issue!

Nice! Did the Franklin Mint cease operations part-way through 1984 or something?

They had gone into a steep decline after about 1980 (as far as coin operations go - they were still  making lots of plates & dolls, etc.)  The output gradually diminished on so many of the proof sets, but esp. mint (specimen) sets in the 1982-1984 period. Adding to the mystery is that the mintage figures that they had kept so scrupulously all the sudden were lost or not recorded for many of the sets, and have not been recovered since.

As you probably know the designs and engraving were first rate and certainly better than government contemporary or even modern issues. Many of the engravers were either US Mint personnel retired, or went on to work for US Mint. Occasionally very, very rare bits show up and this set is in that number. I actually collected what I could afford in the early 80s - this amounted mainly to getting mint sets each year as they were much cheaper and not of precious metals in the later years. Despite being on their mailing list, but not a member of the Franklin Mint society, I NEVER got notification of the 1984 mint set and had not seen one in all the intervening years.

Although I have vastly more expensive items, it is these that I maybe like the best. In later years I filled in many of the proof sets at essentially bullion prices, and got some of the gold to boot. Anyway, for those with an interest, do PM me....

Yeah okay - the only Franklin Mint stuff I look for is the Cook Islands and Solomon Islands sets as they're the ones I collect - the 1982 and 1983 sets seem pretty uncommon and the mintages are in some cases (apparently) unknown.