British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

Bit of a scarcity. A 25 Centimos coin from Ibi in the Alicante region of Spain. Produced (as far as I can establish) as 'money of necessity' during the Civil War. Copper, 4g and 24 mm. Not the prettiest of coins, but it was made by a local toymaking factory, so the design is .. a bit amateur! However it has the essentials I'm looking for in a Republican issue, namely the lady in the hat, so a space awaits her when she arrives.

KM11SpainIbi25Centavos1937TypeE_zps04817

Edited by TomGoodheart

And then there's this. A proof 20 Centimes. I got the proof because, well it's nice to have some diversity. And the design by Lagriffoul is rather shallow so I'm hoping it's a bit clearer on this than most currency examples.

F156-44France20Centimes2000Proof_zps37c7

Edited by TomGoodheart

So that's a proof, a coin made in a toy factory, a few made abroad (London, Paris and Philadelphia) for use in Liberia, Venezuela and Cuba respectively and some local issues made just to circulate in one town.

And ranging from aluminium through bronze, copper, Cu-Ni and silver to steel. No gold as yet though. It's still meant to be a sort-of-budget side-line!

Edited by TomGoodheart

No gold as yet though. It's still meant to be a sort-of-budget side-line!

I bet this is what every British collector of foreign coinage says to begin with... ;)

Liking the Marianne and Marianne-esque coinage you've posted nice theme to run with.

One of the nicer pieces of Notgeld but these were mostly issued to collectors and didn't really enter circulation, unlike the tatty old Notgeld of 1914-1918.

13020791125_3c4e8a2880_c.jpg

Coin written about at length here (and their sample is nicer than mine :@).

One of the nicer pieces of Notgeld but these were mostly issued to collectors and didn't really enter circulation, unlike the tatty old Notgeld of 1914-1918.

13020791125_3c4e8a2880_c.jpg

Coin written about at length here (and their sample is nicer than mine :@).

Good grief! That's less allegory and more of a book in the form of a coin! Or is it more a medal? Either way I'm not sure they could have crammed more discontent into a little space like that. That's some engraving and clearly not made in a toy factory!

Amazing and thanks for posting that Damian. Nothing like money with a bit of a story to it, eh?

Good grief! That's less allegory and more of a book in the form of a coin! Or is it more a medal? Either way I'm not sure they could have crammed more discontent into a little space like that. That's some engraving and clearly not made in a toy factory!

Amazing and thanks for posting that Damian. Nothing like money with a bit of a story to it, eh?

Yes quite a nice one isn't it! The Notgeld coins issued during WWI would have actually been spent but later on they were being issued purely to meet collector demand. The devaluation of the mark 1922 - 24 meant that they re-issued spendable Notgeld but I think that most of this was paper. With this one, yes I think it was just the bank showing off, they also issused silk notes during this period.

There's a story about how shoppers would take wheelbarrows full of Notgeld to the shops during hyperinflation only for muggers to steel the wheelbarrow and leave the pile of cash right there. Pretty sure it's bull, but makes a point.

Fascinating stuff, that is quite a story being told there

I should listen to my Wife. She always says that I just spend money when I have it.

Finally found an acceptable Barber coin to add to the Mariannes. No, not brilliant. But I didn't want to spend MS money. Thought it was Ok for £20 delivered.

KM114USABarberQuarterDollar1914_zps8d889

And a Portuguese 50 Centavos. I have a later (smaller) Cu-Ni one but fancied a 30mm chunk of silver:

KM561Portugal50Centavos1916_zps894a6b17.

All pushes the average cost of the collection up a bit, but .. well, let's just say it's still cheaper than Stuart shillings!

I should listen to my Wife. She always says that I just spend money when I have it.

Finally found an acceptable Barber coin to add to the Mariannes. No, not brilliant. But I didn't want to spend MS money. Thought it was Ok for £20 delivered.

KM114USABarberQuarterDollar1914_zps8d889

And a Portuguese 50 Centavos. I have a later (smaller) Cu-Ni one but fancied a 30mm chunk of silver:

KM561Portugal50Centavos1916_zps894a6b17.

All pushes the average cost of the collection up a bit, but .. well, let's just say it's still cheaper than Stuart shillings!

Nice 1914 Quarter Tom...good purchase!

one i got a week or so back

1024662.jpg

all this talk of notsgeld, and other misc token coinage of that period, there are all sorts, I have a porcelain One and a french paper 10 centimes

Edited by scott

one i got a week or so back

1024662.jpg

all this talk of notsgeld, and other misc token coinage of that period, there are all sorts, I have a porcelain One and a french paper 10 centimes

La Semeuse!

A bit of porzellan, get a picture posted Scott? Still not too sure what to do with the notgeld / medals yet probably a small but 'representative' sample, whatever that means.

Cool piece Scott! I do like the sower Marianne.

Rather better I think than her Walking Liberty cousin, which just has too much cloth floating around for my liking! Especially the "colorised" versions.

Poor thing, out collecting broccoli, when there was that terrible accident at the circus tent ...

$T2eC16ZHJHEFFmKpRmk4BSWrIpiOqw~~60_12.J

As for porzellan ... reminds me of Rammstein I'm afraid.

:P

Cool piece Scott! I do like the sower Marianne.

Rather better I think than her Walking Liberty cousin, which just has too much cloth floating around for my liking! Especially the "colorised" versions.

Poor thing, out collecting broccoli, when there was that terrible accident at the circus tent ...

$T2eC16ZHJHEFFmKpRmk4BSWrIpiOqw~~60_12.J

As for porzellan ... reminds me of Rammstein I'm afraid.

:P

Rammstein? As in 'Tanz Der Mussolini'?? :o

And another:

KM14FrenchPolynesia100Francs1976NickelBr

It looks like I now own this. A French (late in the) Revolutionary period 5 Centimes, issued between 1796-96 Copper 23mm 5g:

KM6351F113-1France5Centimeslan41795-1796

:D

Bought a couple of pattern coins from the Virgin Islands for melt! Can't find any info about them though. Pics of one (the other is nearly idential) here: http://imgur.com/a/TfRI0

Edited by Generic Lad

Bought a couple of pattern coins from the Virgin Islands for melt! Can't find any info about them though. Pics of one (the other is nearly idential) here: http://imgur.com/a/TfRI0

For melt?!? Sounds like a bargain!

For melt?!? Sounds like a bargain!

Hopefully so! Now I just have to figure out how to sell it to I can buy stuff that I actually collect! Going to go back to the shop tomorrow and see if there's anymore!

That yours for sale on the bay of E? Good score there...

I collect Franklin Mint to some degree but only would be marginally interested in these. Are there any mules with mixed obverse and reverses? Those would be of interest.

PM me if you'd like...

Edited by VickySilver

Believe it or not, but my girlfriend has been getting into coins having seen some of the older coins that I've recently got. She's Hungarian however so finds their coins more interesting so picked up this rather nicely toned Corona recently

post-8231-0-52147400-1395316524_thumb.jp

yea that one is nice.

picked these up a few weeks back, £11.01 the 4.

1024811.jpg

scottish Plack, couldn't really identify it fully but could only find this Design for James III

1024812.jpg

early french Denier, again not found the exact details but found similar designs from 1093-1112 ad

1024813.jpg

another french one, later then the first

1024814.jpg

and a small german state uniface pfennig