British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ski

double sided pennies.

a colleague recently found a tin of coins in his mothers loft, he showed me the coins and there was the usual worn farthings etc. however there was a double tailed penny (1963 if my memory serves me right)in the tin.

ive read that a great many of these double sided coins were forgeries and were 2 coins joined, this may be a very good example of this as the join is invisible. were these coins ever produced for magicians? there seems to be plenty of 10p coins like this on ebay.

does anyone know of any examples that were genuine mint errors?

a colleague recently found a tin of coins in his mothers loft, he showed me the coins and there was the usual worn farthings etc. however there was a double tailed penny (1963 if my memory serves me right)in the tin.

ive read that a great many of these double sided coins were forgeries and were 2 coins joined, this may be a very good example of this as the join is invisible. were these coins ever produced for magicians? there seems to be plenty of 10p coins like this on ebay.

The join is not always around the edge, if done properly one coin is machined as far as the rim just taking off the beads or teeth. The second coin will be then reduced in both diameter and thickness so that it just pushes inside the machined part of the first coin. Saying that I have a two sided 1970 penny and even under a microscope I can not find any join. I keep meaning to send it off the the Royal Mint but have never got around to it.

i will have another look at it as i assumed the join would be around the edge. im assuming its a joined coin but just wondered if there were any genuine double headed/ double tailed 1d's.

In a word, no.

To have a genuine coin would require an obverse die fitted top and bottom and that just does not happen.

....when i first saw the coin, i explained to my friend that i thought its a joined coin (without really knowing), he wasnt too impressed. thanks for the clarification.

That would be impossible - the nearest you could get to it is a brockage (where a penny has stuck to the obverse die) and that would show as a 1963 proper reverse, plus an incuse reverse on the other side. To get two 'proper' "heads" or "tails" together would involve machining two pennies together.

There's a bizzare one listed here

:)

david

There's a bizzare one listed here

:)

david

Hahaha - "I can see the join, Ern".

Apparently it's a "misprint". :D

In a word, no.

To have a genuine coin would require an obverse die fitted top and bottom and that just does not happen.

There is in existance a slabbed brass 3d with I believe a reverse on both sides. I'm not sure if it sold or was for sale for about $3000.

I wouldn't put it pass a mint worker to have a bit of a game.

As British coins go, I have seen two genuine QEII shillings struck by two reverse die's. Such coins would be considered a trial coin but they are rare. I have seen and own many fake or magician coins.

I did once own a Thai Baht struck with 2 obv. dies

i21w93.jpg

and a Euro one cent trial struck with two obverse dies.

In a word, no.

Do we have a definitive statement or visual proof of this? To ensure that obverses and reverses aren't used in the wrong combination would require the locating end of the die to be different for the two sides. Certainly, prior to the introduction of Boulton's steam powered presses, the earlier mill equipment would have permitted any die to be located in any position. e.g. the William III and Anne double obverse (and reverse) halfpennies. There are also a few Soho and Taylor's related pieces with the same on both sides. This would suggest that the locating mechanism was the same for both dies and so anything could be possible.

That would be impossible - the nearest you could get to it is a brockage (where a penny has stuck to the obverse die) and that would show as a 1963 proper reverse, plus an incuse reverse on the other side. To get two 'proper' "heads" or "tails" together would involve machining two pennies together.

If you search ebay for "magic" under coins, you'll find several

£2 double head

10p double head

all illegal mutilations of current coins

David

How about something like this... I realise is a pattern, but it means that some were officially struck...

How about something like this... I realise is a pattern, but it means that some were officially struck...

True, but it's in the nature of patterns to be 1) rare 2) exceptions to the business strike rule. They are experiments. (Though why those were double obverse, beats me).

The join is not always around the edge, if done properly one coin is machined as far as the rim just taking off the beads or teeth. The second coin will be then reduced in both diameter and thickness so that it just pushes inside the machined part of the first coin.

ive been able to get a second look at the coin and you can just make out a thin rim on 1 off the sides where the join is between the rim and the beads. i have to say, someones made a great job of it. ........Ski.

Guest Peter P

Any clues about a uk 1921 penny that is double tailed ?

11 minutes ago, Guest Peter P said:

Usually someone has milled out the obverse and dropped a reduced size reverse into the recess. There is probably a sign on this just inside the rim on one side.

On 24 June 2017 at 10:42 AM, Guest Peter P said:

Hunt down the collector who's got the double header and has been wondering, "I wonder what date it is?" :lol: 

Guest Karen Kent

I Have got a double tails sided one penny piece, 1936 on one side and 1937 on the other, any ideas anyone?? Karen

8 minutes ago, Guest Karen Kent said:

I Have got a double tails sided one penny piece, 1936 on one side and 1937 on the other, any ideas anyone?? Karen

Yes dont call heads :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Guest Karen Kent said:

Two pennies glued together.

• Like 1

Guest Eric

I have a double sided one penny with 1945 on both sides.

Every coin I own is double sided. One side is the obverse, the other is the reverse.

• Haha 1

We have many double-headed varieties in Australia.  They are called "Tasmanians".

• Haha 1