British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello17

My Collection-a little dairy

are unc pennies that cheap??? wow should keep y eyes open

Surprised? That's why you should always buy the books and then the coins. Most people overpay for items because they haven't done their homework. An ethical seller might list an unc 1967 penny for £1. Less scrupulous people might list the same item for £10, after all, £10 isn't a huge amount of money in this day and age. With a little knowledge, the same £10 might just buy all of the Elizabeth II pennies in UNC once you realise how cheap they are. Would you prefer 8 coins (1953 & 1961-7) for the price of 1 without dropping grades, or not? Silly question probably.

A really ethical seller would give BU 1967 pennies away free with other purchases. Will they ever be worth anything? Hm. Not in our lifetimes. Having said that, the earlier Liz II pennies (1961 / 62 / 63) are becoming a lot harder to get in genuine BU. The only really easy ones are 1965 / 66 / 67.

Surprised? That's why you should always buy the books and then the coins. Most people overpay for items because they haven't done their homework. An ethical seller might list an unc 1967 penny for £1. Less scrupulous people might list the same item for £10, after all, £10 isn't a huge amount of money in this day and age. With a little knowledge, the same £10 might just buy all of the Elizabeth II pennies in UNC once you realise how cheap they are. Would you prefer 8 coins (1953 & 1961-7) for the price of 1 without dropping grades, or not? Silly question probably.

A really ethical seller would give BU 1967 pennies away free with other purchases. Will they ever be worth anything? Hm. Not in our lifetimes. Having said that, the earlier Liz II pennies (1961 / 62 / 63) are becoming a lot harder to get in genuine BU. The only really easy ones are 1965 / 66 / 67.

i do do homwork but i didn't know that..

arent 1953 bu pennies like 10 pounds(still have a look out for the rare one )

anyway got an 1988 bu set so i have the pound thats worth 5 pounds to some :S

arent 1953 bu pennies like 10 pounds(still have a look out for the rare one )

They are, but you can get the 9 coin plastic set which ALL the 1953 pennies came from for about the same, so spend a tenner on of those, not a penny on its own.

I know that, but on the assumption that a business needs to sell things you have to say that everything has a price. The point I'm trying to make is that you have to get a feel for the market and not blindly accept what is presented. This can only be done by research, whether on line or printed is not important as long as it is done. Having done a spot of reading, it wouldn't come as a big surprise to find that some uncirculated coins are remarkably cheap despite being 70 or 80 years old.

I know that, but on the assumption that a business needs to sell things you have to say that everything has a price. The point I'm trying to make is that you have to get a feel for the market and not blindly accept what is presented. This can only be done by research, whether on line or printed is not important as long as it is done. Having done a spot of reading, it wouldn't come as a big surprise to find that some uncirculated coins are remarkably cheap despite being 70 or 80 years old.

Some 1953 coins, 1948, and 1936 come to mind particularly.

more coins,

a 2 pound (commemarative) in gold :)

1988 BU Set (alright)

cannot list my other ones (thx peckris nice) util i get home :(

1989 and its not gold, it just reflected light well

going to my local coin shop today, might have a little look for a 1903 closed penny :)

going to my local coin shop today, might have a little look for a 1903 closed penny :)

or open(.....)

i will ask him what might interest me

or a 1950 VF peenny (less than ten pounds :o

looked on his web

instead came back with

aUNC 1929 shilling

1092 Low tide penny (Fine)

aUNC 1987 Quarter

VF 1926 3d

gVF 1920 3d

VF 1930 penny

gF 1910 Penny

£9 Pouhnds

instead came back with

aUNC 1929 shilling

aUNC 1987 Quarter

VF 1926 3d

gVF 1920 3d

VF 1930 penny

gF 1910 Penny

£9 Pouhnds

Thats more like it :) You've got some nice history and coins there.As you know the shilling and 3ds are 50% silver and a decent grade.

You can now catalogue them and protect them and see if you can find out what similar ones are selling for on ebay.

A 1092 penny for under £10? Now that's what I call a bargain. :P

But seriously, that sounds like a nice selection. Can't remember if you said how you're storing them Hello? If you don't mind that thay aren't on display, I keep a stock of small (2" x 2") paper envelopes to pop coins into (particularly ones I pick out of change, but if I sell a coin I also send it in one). I bought mine from Colin Cooke. About £5 for 100 if I remember correctly. Just an idea.

An interesting thread , thanks guys. I didn't know that about the 1887 shilling and dug mine out to check it ..oh well..the commen one so no surprise there.It is in remarkable Unc condition but i believe most of this issue is or a lot of them anyway.It's almost pitch black now , it must have went through some beautiful shades of toning to reach sheer black.Its the same with the 6d of the same year..black but gorgeous details.

I'm the newb by the way , i didnt see anywhere for introductions so i fired right in , greetings all :)

An interesting thread , thanks guys. I didn't know that about the 1887 shilling and dug mine out to check it ..oh well..the commen one so no surprise there.It is in remarkable Unc condition but i believe most of this issue is or a lot of them anyway.It's almost pitch black now , it must have went through some beautiful shades of toning to reach sheer black.Its the same with the 6d of the same year..black but gorgeous details.

I'm the newb by the way , i didnt see anywhere for introductions so i fired right in , greetings all :)

Welcome to the forum...feel free to join in.There are some excellent articals/debates and dare I say disagreements :)

Welcome SC. If you'd like to start a thread to introduce yourself then here (Free for all) is as good as any. Just remember, if you want to add photos of your collection (which we always like to see!) there's a limit of 150k per post to what you can upload from your computer so quite a few people link to flikr or photobucket (or similar photohosting) sites.

it was fun, someone had left(Donated) a bag of pennies (a handbag) and the dealer andme was sitting there .

me looking for any rarities and him just chucking them into the bucket for scrap post victoria copper

no rarities found there

next stop: Farthings

Thanks guys , i'll get meself one of them thar photybucket accounts and see what i have that might be of interest.

Yarr, Me Sometime Talk like a pirate too.

hello, have fun on forum

looked on his web

Yes, an example of any penny dated in the 1950s is worth getting. Good luck with the 1950 quest.

Welcome to the forums Scots :) You're right about the 1887 shilling and sixpence - those two are probably the two most common silver coins in high grade prior to 1936. But hey, still a nice way to own some good quality Vic silver.

Thanks guys , yup ..love the British Silver coins :) I had a look through my cabinet and was quite surprised at whats accumulated over the years.I have about a dozen or so florins , all pre 1920 , half a dozen half crowns all pre 20 , and a Geo lll crown..i was sure i had a few Victoria crowns but must have traded those at some point.

I wont count hammereds as silver but those are what i have most of. I'm also a collector of Scottish Conders obviously and other bits and bobs , old US Silver currency and commemorative half dollars , silver dollars ..well..you get the idea , a little of everything but my current focus is on the tokens.

I think my favorites are the very old Maundy silver and if i have a favorite favorite its my modest collection of silver 1 1/d's or threehalfpence's as they were known.

I'll get the photobucket account for pics , i could use some help id'ing my hammereds , i know roughly what they are but some of them look very similar and i know its different kings.

looked on his web

Yes, an example of any penny dated in the 1950s is worth getting. Good luck with the 1950 quest.

Welcome to the forums Scots :) You're right about the 1887 shilling and sixpence - those two are probably the two most common silver coins in high grade prior to 1936. But hey, still a nice way to own some good quality Vic silver.

mines abit ciculated but still silver in tone

instead came back with

aUNC 1929 shilling

aUNC 1987 Quarter

VF 1926 3d

gVF 1920 3d

VF 1930 penny

gF 1910 Penny

£9 Pouhnds

Pleased to hear that your collection is coming along.

Keep up the good work B)

No-one's ever asked, so I suppose it has to be me.

What's the significance of "dairy"?